• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] How come all religions paradoxically coexist

Everyone's got one.

Slytherin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Awards
How come all religions paradoxically coexist? The gods, deities, spirits, angels, devils, demons, monsters from all myths can summoned. And each myth got an unique humanity origin story

Reaction score
Awards
Each attempting to explain the effable from a different angle (or maybe from different elevations would be more accurate). Each with different revelations from different sources from different perspectives to different people with different abilities to understand what they received. From there you add in changes from retelling/copy errors, attempts to repair obvious errors/gaps that developed overtime, and freaking human nature. Then you add in other people’s revelations (rinse and repeat all of the above over and over again).

Honestly I see the similarities that do exists between the religions as strong evidence to the authenticity of their underlying Truth.

-Eld

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Each attempting to explain the effable from a different angle (or maybe from different elevations would be more accurate). Each with different revelations from different sources from different perspectives to different people with different abilities to understand what they received. From there you add in changes from retelling/copy errors, attempts to repair obvious errors/gaps that developed overtime, and freaking human nature. Then you add in other people’s revelations (rinse and repeat all of the above over and over again).

Honestly I see the similarities that do exists between the religions as strong evidence to the authenticity of their underlying Truth.

-Eld
Similarity can also point to widely shared error.
Post automatically merged:

How come all religions paradoxically coexist? The gods, deities, spirits, angels, devils, demons, monsters from all myths can summoned. And each myth got an unique humanity origin story
The ancient expedient (see, among others, Herodotus) was to claim that the gods of one tradition were known under other names in other traditions. E.g., Odin is allegedly Hermes is allegedly Thoth, and so one. Iamblichus and Proclus did this sort of thing pretty exhaustively and quite systematically in late antiquity. Much later, Crowley's Liber 777 pretty well mines out that shaft. Donald Webb, though, rather cattily points out that explaining a tradition one scarcely knows by recourse to one even less known, is not really illuminating.

Don't worry about disparate creation myths: at a certain point of ignorance, every tradition starts talking out its a**. At least Plato is honest enough to own up to not knowing and have Socrates merely suggest "a likely account" of this or that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Similarity can also point to widely shared error.
Maybe but a similar widely shared error through millennia and across tens of thousands of miles??? Doesn’t strike me as the most likely scenario. But that’s why I referred to it as strong evidence and not proof.

-Eld

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Errors can be hit upon independently, just like any other discovery. After they become habits, their perdurance in time is no mystery. Nimrod de Rosario goes on at some length about how the cosmos we know is constructed to encourage and perpetuate certain classes of delusion. (See his Gnostic Fragments and the much longer Elements of Hyperborean Wisdom.) Heck, Plato hints at something similar with his tale about the cave in The Republic.

Reaction score
Awards
Errors can be hit upon independently, just like any other discovery. After they become habits, their perdurance in time is no mystery. Nimrod de Rosario goes on at some length about how the cosmos we know is constructed to encourage and perpetuate certain classes of delusion. (See his Gnostic Fragments and the much longer Elements of Hyperborean Wisdom.) Heck, Plato hints at something similar with his tale about the cave in The Republic.
Never said it wasn’t impossible just that’s not the most likely explanation.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
How come all religions paradoxically coexist?
I'm of the mind that many things have a similar root, and it is the specific view of a person's faith that will colour it in a specific way.In short, our perception changes what and how we see each being.They (I imagine)appear as they are, but our perception(influenced by our individual life and it's experiences) paints them as we think they should look like, I think in the end what's most important is their essence, not their appearance.

Morell

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes I ask how is it possible that all various humans and human societies paradoxically coexist.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Never said it wasn’t impossible just that’s not the most likely explanation.
One can't rule out cross-pollination in some cases, too. Truly isolated populations are the exception, not the rule in history.
Post automatically merged:

Sometimes I ask how is it possible that all various humans and human societies paradoxically coexist.
Exactly: "coexist" means simply to be located in greater or lesser contiguity, often measured by physical geographers in DCBJ ("Degrees of Cheek By Jowl.") Few conclusions can be conjectured from this. One finds tables and chairs "coexisting" across the most disparate cultures. This points to a certain physical similarity of man's kinds. It provides at best rather shaky evidence for a transcendent archetype of Table or Chair.

Last edited: