• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

How do you find your patron God / Goddess ??

boymatmat

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
How do you choose / and or find your Deity/Spirit/Entity/God(s)/Patron to start to work with ?
I want to start a devotional (magickal) practice (maynly to ask for aid, help but also to honor & pay respects) but there are so many different possibilities that i don't know where to start.

Should I just follow my "gut feeling" ? Go for whatever I feel more drawn / attracted to / like the most ? I'm not sure about it ... i wouldn't even know how to choose one with my gut feeling...

As of know i'm somewhat into a strange big mix of Hekate, some other Greek / Roman gods (Saturn, Hermes, Helios/Zeus, Apollo , Jupiter) and other Egyptian Deities (like Ra,Horus,Anubis,Thoth , Sekhmet) ...
At the same time i'm also drawn/interested in the Qayin - Santa Muerte current
along also with some Hebrew and other angelic/ christian influences (Abrasax / IAO/ YWHW / Sabaoth / Adonai) BUT @ the same time i'm also interested in mesophotamian and babylonian gods like Enki / Ea , Enlil ,Tiamat , Marduk , Astarte ,Heqet , Heka , Ishtar, Ereshkigal) ..

Also I'm interested in the many different lunar spirit / energies/facets associated with the Moon (Selene / Artemis, Diana, Hekate , Pheobe , Luna)

Also some Celtic Deities interests me a little bit like Morrigan/ Brigid / Ceriwen

Demons also kind of fascinate / spark my interests (Belial, Lucifer, Astraroth, Lilith, Baelzebub, Abbadon, Lucifuge ect..) but i've never been / felt comfortable about working with daemonic magick/ satanic currents for some reasons I cannot logically explain .

If I already had a patron / Deity that I already work with of course I wouldn't have any trouble with this... But i've never actually done any real devotional magickal working / type of relationship so i really don't know where to head to

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I did not choose a god - afaik

After some years of daily mediation, there was a regular stream of thought-words in my mind - as I later discovered, probably from two sources

One was from my sponsor standing in the solar system - looking rather amphibian. I was very close to him but he was later promoted and I was never close to his replacement.

The other was part of this planetary system at that time. It later turned out that I had known him in human form in several lives.

Afaik, no "gods" have chosen me. Probably just as well

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
maybe making contact with your HGA is something for you? It's not about devotional practice that much though, more about seeking your personal spiritual guide, which can help you find your way through life and magic. There's a thread in the forum where you can read more about it.

Jk666

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
If I already had a patron / Deity that I already work with of course I wouldn't have any trouble with this... But i've never actually done any real devotional magickal working / type of relationship so i really don't know where to head to
use divination: pendulum, taro cards/ oracle cards & ask the question who is your patron?

you can also, but I wouldn’t advise, to pay someone to do it for you

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
In my case I was approached by my "tutelary spirit" (or HGA) in a vision during deep meditation, it was somewhat of a surprise of elation. This after years of trying to maintain a routine ritual practice, but only just holding onto it. I thought I could "choose" based on some criteria such as my natal chart or the numerological analysis of my name or whatever would make me feel like a badass. I wonder if I really took it as seriously as I thought I should.
Then the name of my angel came to me like an deep stunning emotional epiphany while in the trance state. I suppose I was ready. At first still seemed "optional" and that maybe I was making it all up. Then the "demonstrations" came, and never really stopped. Also trials and such, each with its lesson of growth and spectacles of wonder, genius and the shadow play of my own stupidity. Walking with my guide has turned into most enduring and endearing relationship in this manifest existence.

use divination: pendulum, taro cards/ oracle cards & ask the question who is your patron?
I had using div tools in a more conversational method as opposed to a framework of organized rules, which I think activated something. Actively using the correspondences and so forth...

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
One was from my sponsor standing in the solar system - looking rather amphibian. I was very close to him but he was later promoted and I was never close to his replacement.

That sounds vaguely Lovecraftian. Cool!

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I would start with going within, One thing for sure is that You are a Spirit Incarnated. Therefore, start with building a strong relationship with your Soul. Your Soul knows everything about you.

Start with a brief meditation so that you can ground yourself and Connect with your whole entire Inner Being.

After the meditation, you want to honor yourself first. I know, that you want to honor your Spirits or Gods, and Goddesses, but the one thing that your Ancestors, Gods, and Goddesses want from you is to honor yourself. You are no different from them. After all, you are a Spirit having a Human experience. So please honor yourself.

Then, what you want to do is to build that relationship with Your Soul. Let it into your Life. Have conversations with it, and even tell your Soul what's bothering you, and over time, your Soul will help you, and will show you and introduce you to other Deities, or Spirits. But, start with that sweety. I know based on my experiences, that I am well Connected to My Soul, and I honor myself, and The Universe for everything.

Oh! And one important thing you need to do, is to surrender to your Soul or The Universe. Let your Soul or The Universe run its course. Best wishes, and many blessings! On your success!

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

Done. Now learn to communicate. Talk to god. Learn the language of Soul. Learn the way to represent of Soul. Learn to read the answers. They come through all channels. Synchronicities, dreams, everything. Remember angels talk with a hundred voices at once. The system is truly holistic.

Remember: It is not your Soul. But Soul loves you dearly.

Nana

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
How do you choose / and or find your Deity/Spirit/Entity/God(s)/Patron to start to work with ?
I want to start a devotional (magickal) practice (maynly to ask for aid, help but also to honor & pay respects) but there are so many different possibilities that i don't know where to start.

Should I just follow my "gut feeling" ? Go for whatever I feel more drawn / attracted to / like the most ? I'm not sure about it ... i wouldn't even know how to choose one with my gut feeling...

As of know i'm somewhat into a strange big mix of Hekate, some other Greek / Roman gods (Saturn, Hermes, Helios/Zeus, Apollo , Jupiter) and other Egyptian Deities (like Ra,Horus,Anubis,Thoth , Sekhmet) ...
At the same time i'm also drawn/interested in the Qayin - Santa Muerte current
along also with some Hebrew and other angelic/ christian influences (Abrasax / IAO/ YWHW / Sabaoth / Adonai) BUT @ the same time i'm also interested in mesophotamian and babylonian gods like Enki / Ea , Enlil ,Tiamat , Marduk , Astarte ,Heqet , Heka , Ishtar, Ereshkigal) ..

Also I'm interested in the many different lunar spirit / energies/facets associated with the Moon (Selene / Artemis, Diana, Hekate , Pheobe , Luna)

Also some Celtic Deities interests me a little bit like Morrigan/ Brigid / Ceriwen

Demons also kind of fascinate / spark my interests (Belial, Lucifer, Astraroth, Lilith, Baelzebub, Abbadon, Lucifuge ect..) but i've never been / felt comfortable about working with daemonic magick/ satanic currents for some reasons I cannot logically explain .

Without meaning to you ask a question about spiritual anatomy.
There are divinities that resonate with you and divinities that are innate to you.
The human intellect is the wrong "organ" to use to determine what divinities are innate to us as are our emotions.
Divination is the only good way to determine what divinities are with us and which ones do we resonate with that are good to have around our innate spirits.
Most people here are against paying for the divination. Spirits, be they deities, demons or something in between, are creations and part of the ecosystem. They must be fed. If you aren't making sacrifice then those spirits are taking their sustenance from you somewhere else. You pay the diviner to make your sacrifice. If the diviner cheats you he/she cheats the spirits. It's easier to let them handle that, but YOUR spirits will answer you after you make sacrifice despite any trickery, EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEIR NAMES.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
They must be fed.

"Ultimately Daoist eating becomes non-eating, the pure absorption of qi in accordance with the greater universe"
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

It seems that Daoist Masters may reach a stage of not needing to be fed. Are there divinities that have also reached that point?

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
When I mention HGA, I actually mean what Konsciencia and Öwnchef are talking about. For me it's the contact and conversation with my deep soul, my true inner core.

Nowadays I represent it as a spirit, but it changed over time, was something else in the past. It's a journey for sure, a beautiful journey.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I once met a Daoist Master near Munich. He talked about only feeding from Chi for ten years.
In the evening we sat at the same Restaurant. He had a Wiener Schnitzel with fries. Asked about it he answered: "I am not the Daoist now. The Daoist lives of Chi only. Now I am private and eat Schnitzel."
You got to deeply understand what mastership means. Of course he did not really live of Schnitzel. He lived of the money the Daoist earned by telling his stories to an audience. And the Daoist lived exclusively of Chi. Got it? Yeah, brain yoga! A true master indeed.

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone has his own experiences. While Nana experienced the need to feed spirits, I asked the spirits I work with many many times, if I should give them something for being with me.

They always laugh and answer, that being friends with me is just as fruitful, joyful, strengthening, caring and full of love for them as it is for me. They eat, when I enjoy food, they laugh, when I laugh and they are with me when I cry. ;)

Nana

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
"Ultimately Daoist eating becomes non-eating, the pure absorption of qi in accordance with the greater universe"
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

It seems that Daoist Masters may reach a stage of not needing to be fed. Are there divinities that have also reached that point?
No one & nothing reaches a state where they do not eat; at best they've only refined their palates. Cosmic entities, be they ephemeral or material, can sustain themselves on increasingly rarified sublimations but they also find themselves discorporating. Your diet not only energizes it provides the building materials. If you eat only breath you eventually become only breath; you are what you eat.
If divinities forsake material sustenance, they forsake material presence. For most alchemists & hermetics this should be obvious; like acts upon like.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I was always told that i should be careful not to feed the spirits to much. It always felt greedy to me, somehow. Although i understand the reasoning behind it spoiled brats arent fun, same goes for spirits.

Often when i cook for people i cook extra and leave that overnight for the spirits. Or i leave them the leftovers. But at my home there are also some who know how to make me give food. They make me spill milk on the floor or water.

To me its more a synergy then anything else.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Everyone has his own experiences. While Nana experienced the need to feed spirits, I asked the spirits I work with many many times, if I should give them something for being with me.

They always laugh and answer, that being friends with me is just as fruitful, joyful, strengthening, caring and full of love for them as it is for me. They eat, when I enjoy food, they laugh, when I laugh and they are with me when I cry. ;)
Yes... I asked Lucifer knowing that He/She is my Ultimate Spiritual Guide, if He/She need anything from me specifically. And, Lucifer said that the Love, and compassion I give Him/Her, it's sufficient.

That goes to show you, you don't need to give blood or do major sacrifices for these Deities. They see you as One of them. Therefore, they treat you with Love, and respect. Remember, you yourself are a God or Goddess in your own unique way.

Bandaboy

Apprentice
Reaction score
I think I remember watching a movie of a guy in the rain shouting "If your there God, if your real, show yourself!!!"