• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

How many books do you guys read, on average, in a week?

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
Just a lighthearted discussion about reading speeds, and the amount of reading done by fellow occultists. I typically range anywhere from 3 to 7 books a week, depending on the amount of free time I have and the level of book I'm reading. Obviously, this probably actually averages out to around 1000 to 1500 pages a week, but I wanted to see if anyone else reads around the same amount.

Saint

I / Me / Myself
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
tenor.gif

How about starting this thread with a disappointment, in the form of me? Tho' I made a book reading plan, recently.

One is about Szvapna szádhana, the other is the Akashic records. I've got three other books last week besides these, but I'm the kind of person who may buy a book just to sniff out
certain details that she was curious about, then leave the rest of the boöok never to pick it up again. Yeap, that's me.

Reaction score
Awards
1 book every week or 2. That can increase to maybe 2 books a week if a particular topic strikes my fancy or when I pick up a fictional series.

*work can increase that by 100-1000 pages a week

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I usually have 3 books going at any one time: one occult, one political/historical, one novel. Probably I finish 1-1.5 a week, depending on length and language. But, then, I'm semi-retired.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I can't fathom how some people can be online 23 hours a day, have a job, a family, practice Magick, and read books all day every day.
I only read physical books (or sometimes something I find on archive.org) but I think if I had to say it in a number per week it would be 0.01 books that I actually finish.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I wish I could read more than 1/week, but due to being busy with rehearsals(and other parts of real life) sometimes I can't even finish the one weekly book.

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I can't fathom how some people can be online 23 hours a day, have a job, a family, practice Magick, and read books all day every day.
I only read physical books (or sometimes something I find on archive.org) but I think if I had to say it in a number per week it would be 0.01 books that I actually finish.
Job and large family - I cheat by doing all reading, 2/3 of magick (rest usually late at night or early morning rituals), and most of my 1-3 online hours a day on company time.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If I am gonna finish a book, its likely a sci-fi, and if I like it enough it takes 3-4 days.

I rarely ever finish an occult book.

Lurker

Neophyte
Reaction score
I can't really put a number on it. If I like a book and it's easy to read, then I might finish it in a week or two. But if it gets too dry or wanders too far from my interests and what I thought it would be about, I'm almost certain to put it down for a while.
Post automatically merged:

I typically range anywhere from 3 to 7 books a week, depending on the amount of free time I have and the level of book I'm reading. Obviously, this probably actually averages out to around 1000 to 1500 pages a week, but I wanted to see if anyone else reads around the same amount.
Wow, that's a lot! I typically read 10 pages a day, maybe more if the work really speaks to me.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Before COVID, I commuted a total of about 4 hours a day on bus/subway. That was a big help for reading time, or even writing. Thank the gods for modern metropolises (metropoloi?)...maybe.

Rowena

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Just a lighthearted discussion about reading speeds, and the amount of reading done by fellow occultists. I typically range anywhere from 3 to 7 books a week, depending on the amount of free time I have and the level of book I'm reading. Obviously, this probably actually averages out to around 1000 to 1500 pages a week, but I wanted to see if anyone else reads around the same amount.
I generally start 2-3 occult books a week, but I rarely finish all of them - I am somewhat judgemental, so anything I consider worthless to me after reading for 15 minutes or so will at most be skimmed & then abandoned fairly quickly. When I encounter a lot of these back-to-back I can easily get through 4-6 books in an hour.

On top of that I'll generally being reading other works of non-fiction at the same time. Since some dense academic works take weeks to work through, and other things just an hour or less, it's hard to estimate an average - but maybe 10-20 a month if you include academic papers.

I also read a lot of pulp-fiction (sci-fi, horror, steampunk or fantasy). I can make it through most average novels in an hour - so maybe 12 a week currently, less if there are a lot of long books, many more if they are shorter books.