• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion How much to trust a book

Talk about a book(s)

Morell

Neophyte
Reaction score
I think that it is really worth thinking about and to find some way to judge the book, as there are good books, there are bad books and there are indeed dangerous books. As one gets more knowledge on the subject, it becomes easier to see if the book is valuable and if it's at least safe to follow it's instructions. I would start with quote from one of the magic study books: "Keep in mind that author is like advisor that you have on the phone, but is far away, while it's you, who is working with a nuclear device. If it explodes, it's on you, while the author of the book might only notice something from safe distance."

Too good to be true
It's little extreme, but I'll mention it anyway despite it being not really an occult book, but for good example. Divine Nutrition by Jasmuheen is a really dangerous book. (she wrote multiple books on the same idea) The book begins by describing how awesome it is to live without eating any food and practically baths you in how awesome it is. Honestly it would be awesome for anyone who is not earning much of money, as food is not cheap and anyone who is counting how much they spend on the money can easily start dreaming about what more useful such money could be used for if they didn't have to deal with food. Then the book gives some exercises and program how to become able to live without any sustenance in 21 days. That's really just too good to be true. Lucky are the people who didn't get lulled by the start of the book into being unable to see it. Some unlucky ones died, following the practice precisely being sure that it works.

Beyond abilities to get the needed stuff/perform the rites
Times change, some things were possible to get in middle ages, while today gaining them or even practicing some rituals is bound to get one in real trouble. Non occult example is that in the past common people were stealing birds eggs so they could raise the birds as their own pets. Or from one occult book a ritual from middle ages (I believe) is called sacrifice of 50 cats in order to summon a deity. It's long ritual with cats dying slowly and definitely not silently. When it comes to collecting material, you can get into real trouble when collecting law protected plants or animals or their parts. You might try to find out the way how you can collect some things. Some stuff can be gained from legal sources, even though you cannot get it yourself from nature. Some things can be replaced, if you cannot afford them or it's problem with the law. Some rites, that could get you into trouble (like those 50 cats) are better to avoid entirely, there are always alternative rites, or modernized versions. Don't forget that even if you are powerful occultist, you are not above the law.

Wrong information
Especially important with herbs, if you read about the herbs that the book tells you to consume and you don't know the herb, always check what it is and if it isn't venomous. Do the research so that the magic you do with the herb is not your last.

Those are points I found so far to be quite important to look for. It's good to start with them, when we explore the book. However it's not all, that is to be considered about the book.
When reading the book, it's good to consider if the author really practices what he says in the book. We cannot often find that out, but a little common sense can give us idea if such a person at least could be able to follow the system that is in the book. With that comes matter of trust. Can this book be trusted to give what it promises? That is definitely easier if the author is/was practitioner of his system.

That should give some basics on when to trust the book and how much. The last I can say, is that you are not author, nor you are his shadow or a copy. You'll never understand it 100% same as the author, so even from that fact your take will be unique. And there is nothing bad about it.

What is your opinion on how to consider if the book is good?

Rowena

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
For me, there are things I would consider before even reading a book, for example:

1. Author
While, in my opinion, most authors books decline in quality over time as they run out of things to say - some authors set the quality bar so low to begin with that I wouldn't consider any of their books worth reading.

2. Publisher
Some publishers - Llewellyn for example - have what I consider a well deserved reputation for publishing garbage, mostly because they have never seemed to care if a book is well researched or not, and likewise never cared about the reliability, or truthfulness of their authors. For this reason, I always view their books with suspicion & read them with a high degree of skepticism.
And to be clear here - it is not that I consider all of their books garbage, it is just that they only seem to publish good books by accident, not by design.

3. Bibliography & References
If a books bibliography & references are full of things I consider garbage - I would again proceed with a degree of skepticism.

Once I actually start reading a book, there are several other things that I would consider, including:

4. Bad Research
If I start seeing content that I know to be incorrect or untrue, I'll generally view everything else as unreliable at best.

5. Opinion vs Fact
When I see opinion presented as fact, I will again generally view everything else as unreliable at best. This is particularly true of politicized opinion presented as fact.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I have the magickal ability to tell the good ones from the bad ones
by looking at the jpeg cover. i promise it's true

Listen
no
im seri
Listen.....

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards

Listen
no
im seri
Listen.....
You should set up as a vendor then. Charge a fee to preview books. Seriously.
Post automatically merged:

For me, there are things I would consider before even reading a book, for example:

1. Author
While, in my opinion, most authors books decline in quality over time as they run out of things to say - some authors set the quality bar so low to begin with that I wouldn't consider any of their books worth reading.

2. Publisher
Some publishers - Llewellyn for example - have what I consider a well deserved reputation for publishing garbage, mostly because they have never seemed to care if a book is well researched or not, and likewise never cared about the reliability, or truthfulness of their authors. For this reason, I always view their books with suspicion & read them with a high degree of skepticism.
And to be clear here - it is not that I consider all of their books garbage, it is just that they only seem to publish good books by accident, not by design.

3. Bibliography & References
If a books bibliography & references are full of things I consider garbage - I would again proceed with a degree of skepticism.

Once I actually start reading a book, there are several other things that I would consider, including:

4. Bad Research
If I start seeing content that I know to be incorrect or untrue, I'll generally view everything else as unreliable at best.

5. Opinion vs Fact
When I see opinion presented as fact, I will again generally view everything else as unreliable at best. This is particularly true of politicized opinion presented as fact.
Spot on about Llewellyn!

You should set up as a vendor then. Charge a fee to preview books. Seriously.

Spot on about Llewellyn!
One give-away for me is writing style. If the writer uses a flood of adjectives that one associates with the Care Bears, that's three strikes right there. Same thing if the writer has to remind you every two pages that their path is dark, evil, and dangerous. If a writer keeps dismissing dangers that other magi warn about, that's a red flag. If he explains why, maybe OK. If he pulls a Bobby McFerrin and croons, "Don't worry, be magick," run. If a writer seems like a creep, that's a red flag, but maybe not a deal breaker. Crowley's autobiographical writings are fairly distasteful, but he did write a lot of magick that remains worth a read. Don Webb is an ex-fat man who seems half preoccupied with the fact he has successfully launched a menage a trois or ten, but his magickal instructions are of pretty high quality.

If you're not sure about a book, put it aside for a few hours. Then try to write one sentence, "I am uncomfortable with this book because..." You might write a lot more than one sentence, but keep trying to bring your qualm into focus.

Last edited:

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards

Listen
no
im seri
Listen.....
sometimes just the title is enough. There's a book for sale on Amazon called "Black Holes Are Souls"...
("And arseholes to you too mate!")

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
sometimes just the title is enough. There's a book for sale on Amazon called "Black Holes Are Souls"...
("And arseholes to you too mate!")
Good point. Contrary to the old dictum, one can indeed tell many books by their covers.

Ziran

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
What is your opinion on how to consider if the book is good?

My opinion:

1) To my own self be true
2) Specialize in something that fascinates me
3) Read and research as much as I can. Gobble up any and all. The fan fiction along with the critics and everything in-between.
4) Practice practice practice
5) Cull the herd, and keep what works for me
6) Connect with others who share my passion
7) Analyze the trends, observable in my own practice and the others
8) Celebrate the small victories and the the grand failures. Swing for the fences. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Screenshot-from-2024-07-13-18-36-13.png

It's little extreme, but I'll mention it anyway despite it being not really an occult book, but for good example. Divine Nutrition by Jasmuheen is a really dangerous book.

That's where #3 comes in. Read the critics. Learn their arguments. Understand their point of view: for safety.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
you should worship the book, like an idiot

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
you should worship the book, like an idiot
I do everything like an idiot. My life is all of a piece.

Actually, rereading need not be worship. Over the years, I read John Rawls' Theory of Justice at least eight times, loathing it a lot more with each rereading. (It's a blueprint for mentally enslaving the competent to the chronically incompetent. Think of it as the Raw New Deal.) Averroes' Tahafut al-Tahafut says one should carefully peruse that which he deeply despises.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
Sir, please. Xun Kuang knows Shen Buhai and Shen Dao, but not Shang Yang.

A.C. Graham 1989 p268
If I look up the reference, the neighbors'll think I ain't nuthin' but onna them book-worshipping idiots.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
you should worship your neighbors, like an idiot

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
you should worship your neighbors, like an idiot
I'll write me a book about them neighbors.Worship both. That'll make me one of them Pauli theists, right? Jus' like that Yankee beer with the busty blond on the can. St. Pauli Girl from up in Minisoda, right?

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
forget everything I said, just go back to worshipping books.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
I still don't see how reading a book a number of times equates with "worship." That's the whole rub. I knew a Paki(stani) hotel keeper who thought all his guests who had a drink in their rooms were "alcoholics! I tell you these ones are alcoholics!" I suspect in both cases here the misapprehension was born of non-acquaintance. That or the hubris of insecurity.

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
I never said that, you said that.
It's not about me. You were bemoaning book worship above. I have been disingenuou, however. In fact, I simply wanted to 1) discover where this execrable heresy exists; 2) assist in extirpating the vile nest. (I am directly descended from the esteemed Friar Bernardo Gui, through an unbroken chain of stern and judgmental maiden aunts.)

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
have you read any of the bible

Xenophon

Magister
Reaction score
Awards
have you read any of the bible
The Bible? Why land o' Goshen, no. What in the gutterin' gob o' garrulous Jesus, Joseph, and Mary-lovin' Jehosophat is a Bible for Peter and Paul's sakes? I guess I plumb missed that one. Bible, he sez!