• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

How to classify magic?

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'm interested in how magic could be classified and whether there already is well known classification of magic,
and if so how can we improve it? (because I assume there is no "official" classification)

Reason I'm asking this is because classification of anything not just magic helps in understanding the thing being classified,
because it provides you with a breakdown or a high level overview of something.
From that point on it's easier to understand, to chose, to compare or to do anything you might want.

Every classification must be based on something and there may be multiple bases, for ex.
1. Based on purpose of magic, we could classify magic depending on purpose of a subtype of magic
2. Based on origin of magic, we could classify magic depending on it's origin
2. Based on desired outcome, ex. good or evil, we could classify magic on based on that, etc.

I'm not entirely certain how classification of magic would look like and more importantly on what basis should one type of magic be different from other
and what would be valid bases, therefore I'm leaving this open for discussion.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I'm interested in how magic could be classified and whether there already is well known classification of magic,
and if so how can we improve it? (because I assume there is no "official" classification)

Reason I'm asking this is because classification of anything not just magic helps in understanding the thing being classified,
From that point on it's easier to understand, to chose, to compare or to do anything you might want.

Every classification must be based on something and there may be multiple bases, for ex.
1. Based on purpose of magic, we could classify magic depending on purpose of a subtype of magic
2. Based on desired outcome, ex. good or evil, we could classify magic on based on that, etc.

I'm not entirely certain how classification of magic would look like and more importantly on what basis should one type of magic be different from other
I forget the specifics but Isaac Bonewitz (read a Dutch translation once, no idea what the book is called) spoke about different colors of Magick.
Edit:
Like green magic is for agricultural purposes etc.

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I forget the specifics but Isaac Bonewitz (read a Dutch translation once, no idea what the book is called) spoke about different colors of Magick.
Edit:
Like green magic is for agricultural purposes etc.
Sounds interesting, I have searched for his books and it seems it's
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
book, however I'm not able to find a pdf.

Meanwhile I have also searched on the subject of my question and was able to find classification for LHP or black magic, ex:

Which breaks down black magic to:
  1. Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
  2. Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
  3. Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
  4. Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
  5. Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
  6. Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
  7. Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
In same fashion other types of magic could be classified, ex. white magic and herbalism (or green magic) as you called it can be further broke down like black magic and so on for every category and sub category.

For example, elemental magic, is elemental magic a sub category or category, if it's sub category what's it's category?
Knowing this might help to know what to study or what to search for.

But there doesn't seem to be well established categorizations, or I didn't search hard enough.
Also this site has some starting insights:

But I don't find it complete.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
For example, elemental magic, is elemental magic a sub category or category, if it's sub category what's it's category?
Knowing this might help to know what to study or what to search for.

But there doesn't seem to be well established categorizations,
Then again, the Tree of Life makes a lot of sense. Elemental magic in Malkuth, which is the basis for the other Sephora with appropriate colors. Green for Netzach and love, because you want something to blossom.
I think that those colors and correspondences probably are the best. They spent quite some time thinking about it 😅

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I think that those colors and correspondences probably are the best. They spent quite some time thinking about it 😅
Indeed, associating with colors is useful, perhaps that's why there is white and black magic called that way, I've been playing master of magic game in which you have your spell book and cast spells on opponents,
it's interesting how developers categorized magic with colors there as well, ex. blue for sorcery "realm", green for nature realm, white for life realm, red for chaos realm and purple for death realm etc.

While this is just a fantasy game and not real, I perfectly understand how colorizing makes sense if nothing else then for remembering a variety of options, which help a little for the subject since magic is diverse and huge topic.

While it's possible to go that route and it probably wouldn't be wrong, I would prefer something mainstream and official so that when you talk about it everybody understands you.

Reaction score
Awards
energy is energy, its all just electric charge, that is all the universe is, you can use the energy any way you want, classify it until you bleed, but its just consciousness being expressed, you learn to control that and you are classified as a GOD

catpottery

Neophyte
Reaction score

Magic is usually based on methodology rather than result, since there are multiple ways to achieve the same goal. Someone can invoke a deity or spirit to bring about a great cataclysm, or they can use their own thoughtforms to do the exact same. One would be considered ceremonial magick, while the other would be considered a mentalistic practice, or "mental magic". One makes usage of ritual, the other of visualization and energy manipulation.

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Seriously?I have this one.
Me too.
Post automatically merged:

Magic, a concept used to describe a mode of rationality or way of thinking that looks to invisible forces to influence events, effect change in material conditions, or present the
of change. Within the Western tradition, this way of thinking is distinct from religious or scientific modes; however, such distinctions and even the definition of magic are subject to wide debate. Practices classified as magic include
, incantations,
, spirit mediation, and
. The term magic is also used colloquially in Western popular
to refer to acts of
and sleight of hand for entertainment.

Although magic has an
relationship with Western religion and science, it is rooted in the main institutional, social, and
traditions in Western
. Moreover, modern attempts to arrive at a universal definition of magic reflect a Western bias.

Magic has been classified ín the world into two main types:

Imitative or Sympathetic Magic

Imitative magic is based on similarity. It is the idea that like produce like”. In imitative magic the magicians acts similarly to the desired result. For example if anyone to be make torture, his statue is to be beaten on the head in the hope that it will become mentally tortured. Similarly if a rejected lover may make his statue through magician and some special procedure is followed the lover would be succeed is his mission. In some societies if the people want rain, the magician produce smoke which is the symbol of could in the hope that it will give rain. These practices are passes through a specific procedure by the magician. In other societies, persons are sacrifices to give tears and this will be considered as the symbol of rain.

Contagious Magic

Contagious magic is based on the principles that things or persons which come once is contact to one another can influence each other after separation. For example, the relationship between man and his body parts which remains is close and permanent contact to one another. In tribes where contagious magic is in practice, people conceal their teeth, mails and hairs because they fear that if these things might touched by the enemies who can easily give harm to the owner of the teeth or nail by practicing magic on it. Contagious magic is in practice in Bangladesh, Africa, India and some extent in Pakistan.

Last edited: