• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

"How to Cope With Finding Out You're Not Autistic"

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
That's the actual title (and topic) of a wikihow article. (You can PM me for the link.) Apparently...apparently what? Autism is now chic? I know, I know, I know. There's this big spectrum and some folks on it are highly effective people. BFD. The condition too often hamstrings any number of relations. I had a younger colleague whose 21 year old cousin pretty much existed on the level of a quiet 5 month old baby. Quite the superpower.

In any case, it seems an odd thing to crave a condition that is not itself a talent and is, at best, only sometimes a concomitant to talents that appear rather more often without autism. (Concentration, say. Or saying exactly what one thinks.) The article---and autism chic---seem to point to an underlying narcissism: the inability to simply live life sans self-dramatics about nigh insuperable obstacles. Like Harley "Bronco" Nutcracher, my ol' football coach, said: "Careful there boy. A feller can get charley-horsed patting his own back too often."

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Like Kurt Vonnegut said "People create drama because they want their lives to be like stories"

Lots of people want to have something special to make their lives less dull, and this is only one of them.

That quote from the football coach just reminded me of a similar comment: "He'd fuck himself if he could turn round fast enough"

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Like Kurt Vonnegut said "People create drama because they want their lives to be like stories"

Lots of people want to have something special to make their lives less dull, and this is only one of them.

That quote from the football coach just reminded me of a similar comment: "He'd fuck himself if he could turn round fast enough"
I have read that in the West now it is a sometime thing for people to have themselves surgically maimed. I can't recall the name of the so-called condition, some sort of body diasphora. "Body Integrity Disorder" is maybe the name. One "identifies," say, as an amputee. One would think the Hippocratic Oath would prevent such surgery. But given the convoluted legal terrain among the DSO (Degenerate States of the Occident), it's not hard to imagine the reasoning here. The doctor who refuses to lop off my leg is doing me "irreparable psychological harm."

In his failing years, I am told Somerset Maugham lamented "in these times it grows harder and harder to write satire." Well, of course. It's easier to write truthful headlines, no? Garvey's "The Watchful Poker Chip of H. Matisse"---the protagonist plucks out an eye to keep the interest of his trendy new friend set--- would be rejected by the night news editor with a shrug and a "so what?"
Post automatically merged:

Charles Manson said that, too. Rather more unpleasantly, he lived it.

Last edited:

Aeternus

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
That's the actual title (and topic) of a wikihow article. (You can PM me for the link.) Apparently...apparently what? Autism is now chic? I know, I know, I know. There's this big spectrum and some folks on it are highly effective people. BFD. The condition too often hamstrings any number of relations. I had a younger colleague whose 21 year old cousin pretty much existed on the level of a quiet 5 month old baby. Quite the superpower.

In any case, it seems an odd thing to crave a condition that is not itself a talent and is, at best, only sometimes a concomitant to talents that appear rather more often without autism. (Concentration, say. Or saying exactly what one thinks.) The article---and autism chic---seem to point to an underlying narcissism: the inability to simply live life sans self-dramatics about nigh insuperable obstacles. Like Harley "Bronco" Nutcracher, my ol' football coach, said: "Careful there boy. A feller can get charley-horsed patting his own back too often."
Well, I want to add that I am on Asperger's Syndrome (Highly Functional / Operative Autism).

As for other things, I think Autism isn't necessarily chic. The problem is with people who are con artists and pretend to have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and portray a lot of things in a fake manner.

I remember there was a case about a 40 years old lady who tricked her tiktok followers into believing she had Tourettes syndrome.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I have read that in the West now it is a sometime thing for people to have themselves surgically maimed. I can't recall the name of the so-called condition, some sort of body diasphora. "Body Integrity Disorder" is maybe the name.
This has now been identified as a physical brain disorder, a malfunction of a person's prioperception system. Their brain is telling them that their leg or whichever is not actually part of their body. It's not some weird attention seeking device; these people have something physically wrong with them that we can't fix because the brain is too complex.

Think of it as the reverse of phantom limb syndrome.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
This has now been identified as a physical brain disorder, a malfunction of a person's prioperception system. Their brain is telling them that their leg or whichever is not actually part of their body. It's not some weird attention seeking device; these people have something physically wrong with them that we can't fix because the brain is too complex.

Think of it as the reverse of phantom limb syndrome.
"Identified for the moment," you mean. The cultural trajectory is to take all perceptions as of equal value. "By what right does any doctor dare judge me as 'disordered'?!" With a little verbal trimming, that'd be a Meme of the Month, it would.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
"Identified for the moment," you mean. The cultural trajectory is to take all perceptions as of equal value. "By what right does any doctor dare judge me as 'disordered'?!" With a little verbal trimming, that'd be a Meme of the Month, it would.
I mean identified by actual science.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I find so strange that people seek to be neurodivergent, as if that was a "quirky trait to have" rather than just a condition of being.

Plus, how dull one's life has to be in order for them to treat "being neurodivergent" as something "special to be"?

They would be better off seeking hobbies.

The problem is with people who are con artists and pretend to have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
I don't know why I'm even surprised that there are pretenders of this.

Aeternus

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know why I'm even surprised that there are pretenders of this.
I'm not surprised either. Some people really like to extort the feelings of sadness or of giving help that normal people have towards some of the suffering.

That is when I scroll on YouTube or on other media and see someone pretending to be with ADHD or Asperger's syndrome or (insert ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) disorder), it simply makes me nauseous.

What is more disgusting in my opinion is also the foolishness of people who still don't check facts.

Such story happened in a case when a woman pretended to have tourette's syndrome.

Here is the video:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Science can be fickle is all I'm saying. Or, more accurately, subject to pressure from non-scientific quarters.
The number of people who have this syndrome is miniscule. Luckily, our brains don't go wrong in this particular way very often, it seems. Anyone pretending any kind of mental/physical illness for attention seeking deserves all they get.

Aeternus

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
The number of people who have this syndrome is miniscule. Luckily, our brains don't go wrong in this particular way very often, it seems. Anyone pretending any kind of mental/physical illness for attention seeking deserves all they get.
Indeed. Pretending to be sick is really disgusting.