• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

If one were to move to Canada, possibly Toronto ...

Reaction score
Awards
What can one expect coming from living in the United States of America to basically resettle in Canada? What are the pros and cons? Magick outlets? What sort of lodges exist in Canada? Are magick supplies easy to get outside of Amazon? Is the cost of living conducive to being a magician? What are common views and laws like regarding magick/occult? Churches - which ones exist in certain areas, and what about Jewish Temples as well?

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
What can one expect coming from living in the United States of America to basically resettle in Canada? What are the pros and cons? Magick outlets? What sort of lodges exist in Canada? Are magick supplies easy to get outside of Amazon? Is the cost of living conducive to being a magician? What are common views and laws like regarding magick/occult? Churches - which ones exist in certain areas, and what about Jewish Temples as well?
Well here is a Canadian song.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Post automatically merged:

Well here is a Canadian song.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
It is something that has the 'feel' of Canadian nature to me. It has similar vibes to that of finnish Lapplandish nature.

Last edited:

Jiggywiggy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I live in Canada(East coast side), where I live it's mostly just normal people with the odd fortune teller. If you love nature it's the place to be. Apart from Mason lodges I don't see any pockets of us. Depending where you live it can be pretty cheap.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Pros:
  • Free health care. Keep in mind that pharmaceuticals and dental work are not covered, and you will require a health insurance plan to cover them. Many workplaces offer this, but they can also be purchased individually for around $100/ month.
  • Fewer guns on the streets. Public carry is a no go unless you’re transporting the weapon to a range or something. Gang violence is still a thing, so don’t make the mistake of thinking the rules are completely effective, but they sure make a difference.

Cons:
- Cost of living is higher - I think. A pack of smokes costs $15 and we’ve been getting gouged on groceries for the last few years. But minimum wage is $15/hour, so that may balance out. I’m not sure what the incomes vs. expenses situation is like for you out there. Rent can be ridiculous in some areas, but there’s usually a lot available and you can find an affordable place if you really look.

Lodges:
- Not sure. There’s a Druid’s association here in AB and that’s all I’ve really heard of besides the Masons. Ontario and Quebec, being much larger urban centers, are likely to have more options.

Magick Outlets/Supplies
- Easy to find. There are three small cities (think less than 50,000 people) within an hour drive of me that each have a magick shop where I can get incenses, oils, herbs, crystals, cards, books…The larger cities might have dozens of similar shops scattered throughout.

Views/Laws
  • It is illegal to pretend to practice witchcraft in Canada. Yes, you read that correctly. You want to curse someone? Go ahead. You want to scare them by pretending to curse them? Illegal. This seems mostly to prevent fraud by psychics and whatnot, but it is pretty funny.
  • While there is a lot of common interest in the supernatural, with an emphasis on the New Age movement, people’s eyes tend to get wide and they take a step back when you tell them you actually practice. I often keep that information to myself.

Churches
- There’s a lot. You can find just about any branch of Christianity, and I’ve seen plenty of others that I don’t even recognize the names of. We don’t seem to hate or discriminate individuals based on religion up here. The Catholic Church has a really, really bad reputation and the Pope might catch more flak than the Prime Minister, but I can’t think of the last time I heard about someone being bothered for their personal views.

In summary, our cultures are quite similar, but our governments are involved a little differently. Canada helps out the common man a little more, but has more control over some of the luxury freedoms. A gal who moved up here from the Midwest told me that we’re super nice in comparison. Keep in mind that there’s a ton of diversity here. You could move to the heart of Toronto or to a small town in the middle of nowhere and think they’re totally different countries.

Jiggywiggy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Don't forget the winter. Depending where you are it's gets chillaey! So heating costs are more up here too. I spend about $1200 in fire wood to keep me warm in my small cabin pretty year.