• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

In Whose Image Are We Created?

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
This topic was discussed a few nights ago on an occult related Discord server I'm a member of. I thought it'd be interesting to bring the topic here.

In Genesis 1 verses 26 and 27 (KJV) we read:

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

The question is two-fold. 1) In Genesis 1:26, God says "let US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness". Is God talking to himself as the Trinity (God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) or is he speaking to someone else, such as the Elohim which is translated from Hebrew to mean multiple gods. We find Elohim mentioned in the Hebrew bible. And 2) if he is talking to himself in the Trinity, then Genesis 27 is self explanatory. But if he is talking to the Elohim, then verse 27 would seem to be a break away from the group and him doing his own thing. What are your thoughts? Would love to discuss it from a Christian Mysticism or Gnosticism point of view.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I think because the bible was written by so many different people, in so many different time periods, who probably had so many different personal beliefs, that it's best to take it to mean that the person who wrote the first passage meant either the trinity, or more likely, his beliefs stemmed from a polytheistic belief system which was probably the norm at his time.

There could also be other explanations. Such as older languages having no word for "my" and simply using "our".

Alfher

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Two important historical contexts to remember:

1) Originally, the God of Judaism had a primary wife, Asherah, who was very widely venerated. Not only this, but there is evidence that Yahweh had other consorts too. The Goddess was slowly erased from tradition over the centuries, as the combination of monotheism and what is best summarized as “patriarchy” rose up and took hold over the whole culture.

2) Judaism was almost definitely originally a polytheistic religious tradition. There’s argument over when exactly monotheism became the dominant factor, if it was Abraham himself that started it or someone else. It’s also worth noting that the beliefs and practices of “elite” class leaders recorded in the Bible likely aren’t what the whole of the Jewish people believed, something also demonstrated when Moses came down from the mountain to find the golden calf. But even on the virtue of Asherah’s presence, Judaism was polytheistic in nature for a long time.

So the plural of the Elohim and this scripture in Genesis could refer to either or both things.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Two important historical contexts to remember:

1) Originally, the God of Judaism had a primary wife, Asherah, who was very widely venerated. Not only this, but there is evidence that Yahweh had other consorts too. The Goddess was slowly erased from tradition over the centuries, as the combination of monotheism and what is best summarized as “patriarchy” rose up and took hold over the whole culture.
Could this possibly be referring to the "Queen of Heaven"?
2) Judaism was almost definitely originally a polytheistic religious tradition. There’s argument over when exactly monotheism became the dominant factor, if it was Abraham himself that started it or someone else. It’s also worth noting that the beliefs and practices of “elite” class leaders recorded in the Bible likely aren’t what the whole of the Jewish people believed, something also demonstrated when Moses came down from the mountain to find the golden calf. But even on the virtue of Asherah’s presence, Judaism was polytheistic in nature for a long time.

So the plural of the Elohim and this scripture in Genesis could refer to either or both things.
Lol well that just makes it that much more difficult to decipher. If Elohim is interchangeable and can mean both or either, in the context of Genesis 1:26, which is it?

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I think because the bible was written by so many different people, in so many different time periods, who probably had so many different personal beliefs, that it's best to take it to mean that the person who wrote the first passage meant either the trinity, or more likely, his beliefs stemmed from a polytheistic belief system which was probably the norm at his time.

There could also be other explanations. Such as older languages having no word for "my" and simply using "our".
I believe the original Hebrew said pretty much the same thing but in the Hebrew text it mentions "Elohim".

Furthermore, what do you guys think of this response? I believe it's the Eastern Orthodox point of view:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Alfher

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Could this possibly be referring to the "Queen of Heaven"
Yes. She was regarded as Divine Mother, in precisely the same way Yahweh was regarded as Divine Father. Solomon’s son even added her to The Temple, where she was venerated for over 200 years.

Lol well that just makes it that much more difficult to decipher. If Elohim is interchangeable and can mean both or either, in the context of Genesis 1:26, which is it?

To decipher it more accurately, you’ll need to dig deeper into the archeological history. When was Genesis written, exactly? And before it was written, do we know how long the Oral Tradition lasted?

Then compare and contrast that data with what we know of when Asherah was venerated, when Judaism had polytheistic influences, etc.

It’s hard to decide the precise truth of such a matter by just glancing at the translation of it.

I will say that I’m quite certain it’s NOT referring to the Christian Trinity, though…

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I think @Alfher is making a lot of sense. I'm not huge into the idea that it's referring to the trinity the more I think about it. Mind you, I don't particularly subscribe to the idea that it refers to Ashaera specifically either. I think at the time the bible was being written, polytheism was the norm, and may have dictated the language used concerning Gods. Or just that at that time the way "us" (and other pronouns) were used was different to how they are used in modern times.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Yes. She was regarded as Divine Mother, in precisely the same way Yahweh was regarded as Divine Father. Solomon’s son even added her to The Temple, where she was venerated for over 200 years.
Yes, I do recall reading of the Queen of Heaven and how she ultimately was turned into Mary, Mother of God.
To decipher it more accurately, you’ll need to dig deeper into the archeological history. When was Genesis written, exactly? And before it was written, do we know how long the Oral Tradition lasted?

Then compare and contrast that data with what we know of when Asherah was venerated, when Judaism had polytheistic influences, etc.

It’s hard to decide the precise truth of such a matter by just glancing at the translation of it.

I will say that I’m quite certain it’s NOT referring to the Christian Trinity, though…
Problem here is that Moses wrote the Old Testament and the exact dates of his existence is disputed. The Book of Exodus seems to point a 1400 BC time period, but historians and biblical scholars don't agree. So an exact date of when Genesis was written would be hard to state. And yes, I agree, I do not believe he is speaking of the Trinity either, mainly because the Hebrew states Elohim.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
This is my perspective of things based of what The Divine Light taught me. Our whole life we were brought up to believe that we were made in the image of God. But in reality, there is no such thing as an image of God. Because The Universe has no form at all except for the Radiant Orb of Light that roams the Cosmos. Therefore, we are made out of the Energy of Light. The physical body was an idea of The Divine Light Herself to bring forth individualization. But anyway, I don't follow the Bible because there are stories there, that don't add up. Many blessings!! my friends and I did not mean to make you believe in what I have said. That is not my attention, everybody is entitled to their opinions. Each one of us, has had very intense experiences, and we all have our own Truth. I know I have mine. Thank you for letting me share strong topic this one.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
This is my perspective of things based of what The Divine Light taught me. Our whole life we were brought up to believe that we were made in the image of God. But in reality, there is no such thing as an image of God. Because The Universe has no form at all except for the Radiant Orb of Light that roams the Cosmos. Therefore, we are made out of the Energy of Light. The physical body was an idea of The Divine Light Herself to bring forth individualization. But anyway, I don't follow the Bible because there are stories there, that don't add up. Many blessings!! my friends and I did not mean to make you believe in what I have said. That is not my attention, everybody is entitled to their opinions. Each one of us, has had very intense experiences, and we all have our own Truth. I know I have mine. Thank you for letting me share strong topic this one.
Thanks for sharing your position with us! 🙂

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
There are two apparent meanings to being made in the image of God.

The first is that the occupying force known as the Sumerian gods were dying on this planet with its aging sun and revolted a few times at the hard mining labor they had extracting the gold they came for. They were provided with the food of life and the water of life to maintain their immortality on/in this planet.

They bred a human slave race for the heavy work by crossing an existing Earth hominid with their own genetics. They had quite a few failures initially: not intelligent, could not reproduce, could not hold its urine, etc. Eventually they had a successful human using "birth goddesses" to carry the foetuses.

As with most occupying forces, there were shortages of females. Female humans were taken by the sons of the gods as wives and their off-spring were giants/heroes.

Here are the gods using "clay" and test tubes in the experiments to make humans. An organic version of the ToL is to the right.

enkilab.jpg

The other obvious meaning to image and likeness of God is the Tree of Life - in its Kabbalistic form. That energy pattern fits on to the human light body and on to much of that of the Solar Logos. The pattern acts like an antenna. The sensitive human is able to amplify the resonance set up by various radiations including from the Solar Logos. Thus suitable humans are able to access energies of the Solar Logos and perhaps be delegated some authority.

When we look at humans as a set of species across this universe, further resonances are present including with the Universal Logos.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
the sages believed or believe (Kabbalah)

1. The physical body of man, with eyes, ears, a nose, two hands, two feet, and so on is a reflection of the G‑dly attributes which prevail openly in the spiritual worlds, and in a concealed manner in our world. The shape of our body is similar to the placement of the
    Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
    (attributes). We have a right side and a left side because G‑d expresses Himself in two ways, right (kindness) and left (severity). And so on.
  2. The Torah teaches us that man alone has free choice. All other creations are doing exactly what they are programmed to do, and cannot change their natures. Only the human being has to power to grow, mature and change, because he or she is a reflection of G‑d, who is unlimited.
  3. Man was endowed with the power to think independently, to peer into the future and to make rational decisions. This is a reflection of G‑d’s infinite wisdom.1
  4. “Just as the soul fills the body, so does G‑d fill the world.” Our bodies are vitalized by our souls, but our souls themselves are invisible. Yet, through seeing the life in the body, one can appreciate the soul within. G‑d enlivens and creates the worlds, yet He is invisible. But He is evident in every creation.2

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
All other creations are doing exactly what they are programmed to do, and cannot change their natures

Last I read there were more than 80 types of aliens reported on/in this planet. Were they programmed to come here?

This idea that the human is the center of Creation is central to many religions, but it is not so obvious in practice.

Last year, while asleep I met a friendly being. For some reason I asked him how intelligent I was compared with him. He instantly replied 9%.

I am not in a position to disagree

Meanwhile I saw a video of a crow that wanted to get some food from inside a long necked jar. The crow flew off and came back with a long piece of wire. It bent the wire into a hook and obtained the food. I wonder it that is programming or intelligence.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
what I posted is just an opinion.

some angels supposedly have no free will, others supposedly do, I’m sure you’ve met plenty of spirits

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I tend to take each encountered intelligence on its merits and intent - after having tested/measured various aspects.

Angel means messenger. I do not find it a particuarly useful category - even in religious conversation.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I’ll have to take your word

and no, every Angel is not a messenger, the lowest species is the one that speaks to men, there are way higher levels, when The prophets speak of angels they are talking about visions, our minds cannot interpret these kinds of beings and so we see them in our minds in a way our minds can handle them

though supposedly some angels became solid, solid enough to have kids

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
some angels became solid

And there are plenty of ufo abduction accounts where the victims were passed through walls. So perhaps humans are solid only by convention.

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Dagda, in which case we are at least three spirits with their power and ability and likeness; some also say Don or Danu (Danu, Ana, Dana, Danau). I would say, it is not out of the question that a Goddess is in charge as creatrix.