• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] Introduction to Herbal Medicine

Informative post.

ghoulish

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I’d like to begin by saying that this is not meant to be a replacement for actual medical treatment– it’s meant to fill in the gaps that are usually written off (or if you’re in a situation where you cannot afford healthcare). That being said, herbal medicine is rather good at treating the things you wouldn’t want to go to a doctor for (general digestive upset, chronic pain, colds, etc), and if you cannot afford healthcare, it’s certainly better than nothing.

To begin– before getting into the actual plants– one must become familiar with the vocabulary used across most texts on the subject. It’s a bit difficult to parse through the lists of plants and how to use them if you don’t know what their effects are called in this field.

Here’s a short an excessively long list of effects– often referred to as “herbal actions” in the texts I’ve read:

• Adaptogen - “An action concept unique to herbal therapeutics. Adaptogenic or hormonal modulating action increases the body’s resistance and endurance to a wide variety of adverse influences from physical, chemical, and biological stressors, assisting the body’s ability to cope and adapt.”
  • Alterative - “Gradually restores health and vitality to the body by helping the body assimilate nutrients, eliminate waste, and restore proper function.”
  • Anodyne, analgesic - “Relieves pain when administered orally or externally.”
  • Antacid - “Neutralizes excess acid in the stomach and intestinal tract.”
  • Anticatarrhal - “Counteracts the build-up of excess mucus and inflammation in sinus or other respiratory parts.”
  • Antidepressant - “Helps relieve or prevent depressed states of mind.”
  • Anti-emetic - “Relieves nausea and vomiting.”
  • Anti-inflammatory - “Combats extensive or too-painful occurrence of inflammation. A degree of inflammation is a necessary process in healing.”
  • Anti-microbial (anti-bacterial, anti-viral) - “Helps the body’s immune system destroy or resist the proliferation of pathogenic microorganisms.”
  • Antioxidant - “Protects the body against free-radical damage (free radicals are highly reactive compounds that bind to and destroy other molecules).”
  • Antiseptic - “Prevents or eliminates sepsis (infectious destructive condition of tissue.”
  • Antispasmodic - “Prevents or eases spasms or cramping in the body.”
  • Aperient - “A gentle stimulant to digestion, having a very mild laxative action.”
  • Aphrodisiac - “Increases sexual excitement or desire (libido).”
  • Astringent - “Contracts, firms, and strengthens body tissues by precipitating proteins, and can reduce excess secretions and discharge.”
  • Bitter - “Stimulates the normal secretion of digestive juices, benefiting digestion. This stimulating action helps counteract physical and, to a certain extent, emotional depression.” I’d like to clarify that the effect on depression is due to the serotonin receptors in the stomach.
  • Carminative - “Rich in aromatic volatile oils having a sweet, spicy, or fragrant aroma which can lend a pleasant flavor to other herbs, excite peristalsis, promote the expulsion of gas, and soothe the stomach, supporting healthy digestion.” Peristalsis is the contraction and relaxation of muscles in the digestive tract.
  • Cholagogue - “Promotes the discharge and flow of bile from the gallbladder (gogue = to flow).”
  • Counter-irritant (revulsive) - “Induces local irritation of skin, drawing blood and other materials to the surface from deeper tissues, relieving congestion and inflammation.”
  • Demulcent - “Mucilaginous herbs which relax, soothe, and protect tissue.”
  • Derivative - “Draws blood and other fluids from one part of the body to relieve congestion in another.”
  • Diaphoretic - “Induces increased perspiration, dilates capillaries, increasing elimination through the skin.”
  • Diuretic - “Increases the flow of urine.”
  • Emmenagogue - “Increases menstrual flow.”
  • Emollient - “Applied to the skin to soften, soothe, and protect.”
  • Expectorant - “Supports the respiratory system by assisting it to remove excess mucus.”
  • Febrifuge - “Assists the body to reduce fever.”
  • Galactagogue - “Increases the flow of mother’s milk.”
  • Hemostatic - “Arrests bleeding.”
  • Hepatic - “Strengthens and tones the liver, stimulating its secretory function.”
  • Hypnotic - “Has a powerful relaxant and sedative action and helps to induce sleep.”
  • Hypotensive - “Reduces elevated blood pressure.”
  • Immune stimulant - “Helps stimulate immune response and deal with infections.”
  • Laxative - “Promotes evacuation of bowels.”
  • Lymphatic - “Support the health and activity of the lymphatic system.”
  • Nervine - “Affects the nervous system; having either a relaxing, stimulating and/or tonic effect, depending on the herb used.”
  • Refrigerant - “Cooling agents which lower body temperature and relieve thirst.”
  • Rubefacient - “Generates a localized increase in blood flow when applied to the skin. Often used to warm the skin and ease the pain and swelling of joints.”
  • Sedative - “Calms the nervous system by reducing stress and nervous irritation throughout the body.”
  • Sialagogue - “Promotes the flow of saliva.”
  • Stimulant - “Warms the body, quickens circulation, and breaks up obstructions and congestion.”
  • Stomachic - “Stimulative tonic to the stomach.”
  • Styptic - “Reduces or stops external bleeding by astringent action.”
  • Tonic - “Stimulates nutrition by improving assimilation which improves systemic tone, giving increased vigor and strength to the tissues of body organs.”
  • Vasodilator - “Expands blood vessels, allowing increased circulation.”
  • Vulnerary - “Assists the body to heal wounds. This action is used externally.”

Note: all quotes (and thus all definitions) in this list are taken from The Herbal Medicine-Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual by James Green. He provided this list originally, which I copied word-for-word into my grimoire (and then transcribed to here). I did this so my own interpretations of certain words did not influence my reference material, as I am most assuredly less experienced in herbalism than James Green. My own additions are both outside the quotation marks and italicized. (I can also post the book in the book share section if anyone wants it and it qualifies as sufficiently occult-related).

And now I present; a list of 35 medicinal herbs and a fungus:
  • Blackberry (Rubus villosus)
  • Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa)
  • Burdock (Arcticum Iappa)
  • Calendula (Calendula officinalis)
  • Cayenne (Capsicum annuum)
  • Chamomile, German (Matricaria recutita)
  • Cleavers (Galium aparine)
  • Comfrey (Symphytum officinale)
  • Crampbark (Viburnum opulus)
  • Dandelion (Traxacum officinale)
  • Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea)
  • Elder (Sambucus nigra)
  • Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)
  • Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
  • Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)
  • Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis)
  • Gumweed (Grindelia spp.)
  • Hawthorn (Crataegus oxycanthus)
  • Marshmallow (Althaea canadensis)
  • Mugwort (Artimisia vulgaris)
  • Mullein (Verbascum spp.)
  • Nettle (Urtica spp.)
  • Oat (wild: Avena fatua, cultivated: Avena sativa)
  • Peppermint (Mentha piperita)
  • Pipsissewa (Chimaphila umbellata)
  • Plantain (Plantago lanceolata or P. major)
  • Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum)
  • St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
  • Saw Palmetto (Serenoa serrulata)
  • Scullcap (Scutellaria spp.)
  • Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus)
  • Valerian (Valeriana officinalis)
  • Vitex (Vitex agnus-castus)
  • Willow (Salix alba)
  • Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
Herbs to Avoid During Pregnancy:
  • Barberry (substitute for Goldenseal)
  • Black Cohosh (except for the last month of pregnancy)
  • Baneberry (substitute for Black Cohosh)
  • Cayenne (use sparingly)
  • Comfrey
  • Ginger (use very sparingly)
  • Goldenseal
  • Mugwort
  • Oregon Grape (Goldenseal substitute)
  • Yarrow

Now that all of the herbs (and one fungus) I’ll be speaking about have been presented (alongside their scientific names), and the words I will be using to describe their effects are laid out, this section shall combine the two. I recommend that readers refer back to the actions defined originally, as they will be prevalent here.

Blackberry is an astringent (especially to the gastrointestinal tract), and a hemostatic (once more to the intestinal tract).

Black Cohosh is an at risk plant, so it is better to find it organically cultivated or use substitutes instead. It is an antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, emmenagogue, nervine, and hypotensive. It’s good at reducing dull, aching pain in the body, but especially in the reproductive system (of both males and females). Baneberry root (Actaea rubra) is a pain-relieving substitute.

Burdock is an alterative, diuretic, and a mild bitter. Externally, it is good at promoting the healing of wounds.

Calendula, also known as marigold, is anti-inflammatory, vulnerary, lymphatic, anti-microbial, and antifungal. It is extraordinary for treating physical damage to the skin. It is also antispasmodic, emmenagogue, cholagogue, and hepatic.

Cayenne is a general tonic, but simultaneously specific to the circulatory and digestive systems. It is carminative, sialagogue, anticatarrhal, and it also helps ward off colds. In external applications, it is rubefacient, anti-microbial, and an unpleasant, but extremely effective, styptic.

Chamomile is anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving for the digestive tract; antispasmodic for muscle cramps; nervine (a nervine tonic). Additionally it is carminative and a mild bitter. As is common knowledge (at least among the people I know), it has uses for relieving stress and reducing tension.

Cleavers is lymphatic, a cooling diuretic (good for an irritated urinary tract), tonic, and alterative.

Comfrey, also known as knitbone, is vulnerary, demulcent, astringent, and expectorant. Its abilities in wound, ulcer, and fracture abilities are unparalleled. Additionally it is anti-inflammatory and soothing to inflamed digestive tracts. However, Comfrey also contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids, which are toxic. They may cause damage to human livers, so caution is advised. Pregnant women, young children, and those with liver disease should not take Comfrey.

Crampbark is an antispasmodic that relieves spasms in both voluntary and involuntary muscles within the pelvis and limbs. It is anti-inflammatory, nervine, and astringent. In general it is a good choice to relieve unpleasant menstrual symptoms, and it is an emmenagogue.

Dandelion has many uses in herbal medicine. The root is a general tonic, a liver tonic, hepatic, and cholagogue. It is antirheumatic, alterative (towards skin and degenerative joint disorders), a mild laxative, and a bitter. The leaf is a diuretic, an extremely good source of potassium, and a bitter.

Echinacea is an at-risk plant, so only organically cultivated plants should be used. It is an immune stimulant, antimicrobial, anti-catarrhal, and alterative.

Elder leaves are vulnerary and emollient when used externally. Used internally, they are expectorant, diuretic, and diaphoretic. As a cold infusion, Elder flowers are diuretic, alterative, and cooling. As a warm infusion, they are diaphoretic and gently stimulating. Its berries are diaphoretic, diuretic, and aperient. This is a short summary– Elder has so many uses that each book on herbal medicine says something slightly different.

Fennel is carminative, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, and galactagogue.

Ginger is a warming diffusive stimulant that works by increasing peripheral circulation, excellent for relieving nausea (and motion sickness), carminative and antispasmodic in the digestive tract, anodyne in the gastrointestinal tract, diaphoretic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, rubefacient, and an emmenagogue.

Ginkgo is a vasodilator, brain tonic, and antioxidant.

Goldenseal is another at-risk plant– either use cultivated Goldenseal, or substitute with other plants that contain berberine. It is hepatic, cholagogue, bitter, antimicrobial, a tonic stimulant for mucous membranes, anti-catarrhal, astringent, and emmenagogue.

Gumweed is an expectorant, antispasmodic, and hypotensive.

Hawthorn is an excellent heart tonic, hypotensive, and diuretic.

Marshmallow is emollient when used in external salves, and used internally it is a demulcent. The root is used for all kinds of gastrointestinal distress. The leaves are diuretic, expectorant, anti-inflammatory, good for relieving dryness of the lungs and urinary tract irritation.

Mugwort is a bitter tonic and digestive stimulant. It is an antioxidant, cholagogue, a nervine tonic, antidepressant, and emmenagogue.

Mullein is an expectorant, demulcent, diuretic, nervine, antispasmodic, alterative, astringent, anodyne, vulnerary, and anti-inflammatory.

Nettle leaves are a spring tonic and general alterative, astringent, diuretic, and hypotensive. It is also a good prostate tonic.

Oat is a nerve tonic, antidepressant, demulcent, and vulnerary.

Peppermint is carminative, antispasmodic, diaphoretic, antiemetic, and is a mild anesthetic to the stomach lining. It is also nervine and antimicrobial. Mixed with Yarrow and Elder, it is a traditional remedy for fevers, colds, and influenza.

Pipsissewa is another at-risk plant, and a combination of Marshmallow and Uva Ursi is a recommended substitute. Uva ursi is a diuretic, with specific antiseptic and astringent effects on the urinary system. It is also anti-microbial, and mixing it with Marshmallow increases its demulcent properties.

Plantain is vulnerary, expectorant, demulcent, anti-inflammatory, astringent, diuretic, and antimicrobial. It is used both externally and internally to great effect.

Reishi mushroom supports the immune system, promotes white blood cell production, and stimulates macrophage activity. It is also mildly adaptogenic and antioxidant, amongst other things.

St. John’s Wort is nervine, and, taken internally, has a sedative and pain-relieving effect. It is a pretty well-known antidepressant. Externally, it is astringent, vulnerary, and anti-inflammatory.

Saw Palmetto is a nutritive tonic, diuretic, antiseptic, and a tonic for the genito-urinary system.

Scullcap is a nerve tonic with mild sedative and antispasmodic features. It is rather useful in relieving muscle tension (especially in uptight individuals, according to Green). It is also a cardiac relaxant and a bitter.

Siberian Ginseng is an adaptogen above all else.

Valerian is a nervine tonic, primarily. It also has a stimulating effect, and is good for those with poor circulation. It relieves intestinal tension and is hypotensive, hypnotic, antispasmodic, and emmenagogue. It is also useful in treating symptoms associated with excessive caffeine intake.

Vitex, also known as chasteberry, is a uterine tonic. It’s generally employed against most hormonal-based ailments in women.

Willow is an analgesic used for its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects.

Yarrow is hepatic, a liver stimulant, and laxative. It seems to be helpful in assisting the body in processing a low-fiber, high-fat diet. It is also cholagogue, and an effective alterative when used to treat oily skin conditions.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of all medicinal plants, nor their functions, but these are a few to start out with.

Suggested Methods of Extraction
Bolus / SuppositoryDecoctionFomentationInfusionLotionOilPoulticeSalveSyrupTincture
Blackberry
Black Cohosh
Burdock (root and/or seed)
Calendula
Cayenne
Chamomile
Cleavers● (fresh plant)
Comfrey
Crampbark
Dandelion● (root)● (leaf)● (root, leaf)
Echinacea
Elder● (leaf, flower)● (leaf)● (leaf)● (flower)
Bolus / SuppositoryDecoctionFomentationInfusionLotionOilPoulticeSalveSyrupTincture
Fennel● (crushed seed)
Ginger
Ginkgo
Goldenseal
Hawthorn● (berry)● (leaf, flower)● (berry)● (berry, leaf, flower)
Marshmallow● (root, leaf cold infusion)
Mugwort
Mullein● (flower)● (leaf, flower)
Nettle
Oat
Peppermint
Plantain
Reishi● decoct 45 min
Saw Palmetto
Siberian Ginseng
St. John's Wort
Scullcap
Uva Ursi● (cold infusion)
Valerian● (cold infusion)
Vitex
Willow
Yarrow
Yellow Dock

I will be making an in-depth post about how to execute each method of extraction at a later date, when I have enough confidence in my knowledge of them. I’d like to have a thorough understanding of topics before I share them.

Regardless, I hope this was a helpful or interesting read!

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Wow, really great to see a good, high quality informative post from a new member. I was just about to ask how they should all be used, but that works for another thread.

Thanks for putting in the work!

Aeternus

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for this well written post @ghoulish ! I love it :love:

I used to take Gingkobiloba in the past in order to help my brain restore its little lost memorization capacity, so I can agree that it is a good brain tonic and really useful for the brain in general.

As for Goldenseal... well, never heard of it. I must've found it while studying about some Herbal Witchery website, but except that, I never interacted with Goldenseal.

Thanks once again for the well written post. Keep up the good work!
Post automatically merged:

Searched up Goldenseal on Google.

Additional benefits that you can add @ghoulish when it comes to Goldenseal:
Due to high amounts of Berberine, Goldenseal can:

• Decrease high blood pressure
  • Help with irregular heartbeat

Bluesoft

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awsome! Thank you for sharing. Would be great if you make this in PDF for be a Electronic Document from your authority.