• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Irony and Magick

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
In the thread about drugs and magick, I mentioned some people getting into it with mixed agendas. This topic was inspired by that one...

Irony is more or less the expected tone in these times. Older folks take (or spew) their irony neat. Younger ones typically follow it with a "just kidding" chaser. In any case, in the West, it seems to be the default mood, having pretty well nosed out the grammarians' indicative one. Really. Mention Tantra and even the "seriously interested" snigger. Mention mushrooms and the knee-jerk response is "Party with the priestesses!" or some such.

We all know that doubt is a deal breaker when it comes to magick workings. So too for irony? After all, if irony is my reflex response, my default setting, it is highly probable that I am NOT "just kidding" when I flash my fully erect irreverence in public discourse. I might not really intend that to be so, but like Pervy Pete the Flashman, I can no longer control my responses.

Your thoughts, all? What effect has ingrained irony on magicjk?

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes all one needs is metalworkers.

Xeno, The Wise, was alone in ironing the clothes.

The rest went dancing on metellica and had a vampire head as meal.

My sincere thanks goes to ozzy, my brothers cat.

Al hamdullillah...

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Your thoughts, all? What effect has ingrained irony on magicjk?
In the interests of not fooling oneself, one has to ask why one is using irony to deflect, and what from?

I always try and approach magic, like most things, as straightforwardly as I can. As attributed to Mark Twain: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes all one needs is metalworkers.

Xeno, The Wise, was alone in ironing the clothes.

The rest went dancing on metellica and had a vampire head as meal.

My sincere thanks goes to ozzy, my brothers cat.

Al hamdullillah...
Eh?
Post automatically merged:

In the interests of not fooling oneself, one has to ask why one is using irony to deflect, and what from?

I always try and approach magic, like most things, as straightforwardly as I can. As attributed to Mark Twain: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."
Twain himself was often a very Hephaestus when it came to irony, no? In any case, whether Morty Mage might use irony because he wants to sleep with Dad and slay Mom does not greatly interest me here. (Freud's posse were rather nonplussed to find out that awareness of a problem's origins does not itself work a cure. Though---happily---it can highlight a need for "further analysis.") My query was simply irony's effect on the magick Morty uses to work his nefarious way. L

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
In magic your word is a potent tool, if you always degrade your word by saying one thing and then immediately reversing it your word is weakened and a much less effective tool (not unlike disrespecting a wand or other tool by using it in a mundane/profane way).

Not to mention if using those types of statements is really just a symptom of doubt then it’s also an indicator of the other hinderance to effective workings that you mentioned.

*sarcasm is a native tongue of my generation

-Eld

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I know you like to joke and I wonder if you wrote this because of the idea that iron (as the metal of Mars) is said to banish / frighten spirits 🤔

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I know you like to joke and I wonder if you wrote this because of the idea that iron (as the metal of Mars) is said to banish / frighten spirits 🤔
Fair question, but no, I didn't think of that. I was just recalling recently how I once left a job, another time ended a friendship because I wearied of the persistent irony of my contemporaries from the West. This while being a carrier of the malady myself, a regular Typhoid Larry, if I may.

Interestingly ( interesting to pedants, anyway) "irony" has nothing to do with iron. It's from the old Greek ειρωνεία, "ironeiuh" "to dissimulate." (Iron is σιδριονος "sidrionos" or some such.) But, as your suggestion shows, often false etymologies are more enlightening than the prosaic "factual" ones. That sounds like plagiarism from Arthur Machen, but there it is.