• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Is there anything called Order Magick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slytherin

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
In a superpower wiki, I came across this term, which is the opposite of Chaos Magick. I was wondering if there was any such thing in reality

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
First let's see how 'chaos magic' is defined in that
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
of yours:

Users can utilize chaos-related magic; a type of magic that taps into and utilizes the chaotic forces of the universe, granting the user a chaotic form of magic that can utilize and reconstruct the probabilities as well as the very fabric of existence that are interconnected to reality, bestowing magical powers and mastery of spells that are are capable of warping the actualities of reality.

In my own personal (chaos-magic informed) cosmology, the 'chaotic forces of the universe' are the only forces of the universe that exist. Here is a quote from SYNC – the Emerging Science of Spontaneous Order by Steven Strogatz as cited by
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
: "Scientists have often been baffled by the existence of spontaneous order in the universe. The laws of thermodynamics seem to dictate the opposite, that nature should inexorably degenerate toward a state of greater disorder, greater entropy. Yet all around us we see magnificent structures—galaxies, cells, ecosystems, human beings—that have all somehow managed to assemble themselves." Thus it's nothing short of a miracle that us humans exist at all. The forces of chaos rule, now and then permitting the emergence of miniscule pockets of order (such as life on earth) for no obvious reason. Order is an anomaly. It's always easier to destroy something than to build it. All man-made structures left unattended will ultimately decay and become condemned. Entropy always wins out if we let it have its way.

One could claim that all (thaumaturgic) magic is 'order magic' because we are either trying to stem the tide of entropy or to alter an existing state of order so that it corresponds to our desire. Which wouldn't be exactly true because baneful magic, for example, involves helping the forces of entropy along or precipitate them - everybody gets sick once in a while or dies eventually, so a curse would simply mean bringing about the inevitable faster (I knew a biker guy once who referred to his gun as his 'karma accelerator' ;)). Wish an accident on someone? Accidents happen all the time because nothing involving humans ever runs like clockwork (and even clockwork stops working once the spring winds down or gets broken - which it inevitably will, given enough time). All you need to do is throw a spanner into the works…

An interesting philosophical discussion would be whether 'disorder' is actually the same as 'chaos' though… yeah, and whether 'living in harmony with the universe' would then actually mean 'embracing chaos to the utmost' :LOL:. Personally, I can't stand the sanctimonious balderdash of NewAgers who trustingly believe in the kind ordering hand of a benign supreme entity in everything. Not my thing at all. It's not the world I live in.

TL; dr: The 'chaotic forces of the universe' are the only ones that exist and the 'forces of order of the universe' don't because they're not universal at all and only limited to said miniscule pockets. Order is either purely accidental (unless you want to drag the aforementioned benign supreme enitity into it) or man-made. So no 'order magic' for use here, in my humble opinion.

8Lou1

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
might it be the difference between 10 of marduk and 11 of anti cosmic?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The Horsehead Nebula... who put the horse there? Or Nessie? Or Cthulhu?

Nebulosa_testa_di_cavallo_con_SPECULOOS.jpg

Rowena

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
In a superpower wiki, I came across this term, which is the opposite of Chaos Magick. I was wondering if there was any such thing in reality
Well, since that wiki is a fandom wiki dedicated to the fictional lore of various fandoms - I'd say not outside of the fiction is was created for.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The Horsehead Nebula... who put the horse there? Or Nessie? Or Cthulhu?
That astronomy horsey was meant as an addendum to my first post and as an illustration of perceived order where no order actually exists but @8Lou1 beat me to the punch when she added her reply just before I could add this afterthought.

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Chaos Magic is rooted in the idea of a limitless metaphysics, where you can ride/harness particular currents for self-determined ends. The opposite to this, "Order magic", would be the idea of a metaphysically determined or structured universe. This was the presumption of magicians throughout all of human history until the 20th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.