• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

LBRP The GD version and alternatives

whimsicalwarlock

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All!

I have been using the GD version of the LBRP from Damien Echols' "High Magick"
When I use it everything feels fine with the angels (michael, uriel, etc) but something about using the names of god like Adonai and such just makes me feel sort of "icky"?

Idk how to really explain it. I think there might be some deeper levels of deconstruction that i might need to do as I had a "Christian" upbringing.

At first i didn't feel this because it was new or maybe i wasn't sensitive enough yet and i was just wanting to jump in, but the deeper i go, the more it feels off to me.
Starting out with it, i felt great.
I know some people here don't use LBRP (at least the GD version) and go for variations or completely different ritual all together.

Has anyone else experienced this as well?
Starting out okay and then slowly disliking it as time goes on? Or did you immediately dislike it and look for something else?
If you use something else instead, that provides the same or similar effect, what do you use?

Any input is appreciated!

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
LBRP is mostly used to reset the energies to something more Neutral or Spirit over Matter. It's a template from where to work magick. You can literally banish anything including yourself if you want. So it's more like a recipe to get into a neutral state where you don't let external or internal enerrgies affect your magickal working. That is why it's so useful.

whimsicalwarlock

Apprentice
Reaction score
LBRP is mostly used to reset the energies to something more Neutral or Spirit over Matter. It's a template from where to work magick. You can literally banish anything including yourself if you want. So it's more like a recipe to get into a neutral state where you don't let external or internal enerrgies affect your magickal working. That is why it's so useful.
Okay. So what is it that makes people want to not use it then? I know I see people talk about not liking the "standard" format.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Okay. So what is it that makes people want to not use it then? I know I see people talk about not liking the "standard" format.
Well it got strong ties to the Abrahamic version of God, which is God is allmighty and things like that. So it's a bit based on that kind of 'dogma'. But spiritually using that kind of pentagram for it is the heart of the operation and it can be adopted with other versions, God-forms and what not so the core of the ritual is still sound.

whimsicalwarlock

Apprentice
Reaction score
Well it got strong ties to the Abrahamic version of God, which is God is allmighty and things like that. So it's a bit based on that kind of 'dogma'. But spiritually using that kind of pentagram for it is the heart of the operation and it can be adopted with other versions, God-forms and what not so the core of the ritual is still sound.
Do you personally use the standard GD version? (If i may ask)

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Do you personally use the standard GD version? (If i may ask)
Well I use my own personal elemental version but the God Names and Arch Angel names are the same. I banish all the elements while doing it.

motzfeldt

Neophyte
Reaction score
Look into perennialism. Once you realise that all religions point to the same universal truths and spiritual secrets, you'll come to realise that Christianity is (was) just the post-pagan European expression of those metaphysical truths. I am no Christian but have no problem using Judeo-Christian symbolism and names, etc., in my workings because I understand the archetypes behind them. I prefer to use pagan terminology and images and such when possible but I am equally happy to use any religious framework if it serves my needs.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Yud-Heh-Vav-Heh Fire-Water-Air-Earth. Adonai 'My Lord' EHEIEH 'I am'. Can't remember what AGLA was, but stands also for the 4 worlds.

whimsicalwarlock

Apprentice
Reaction score
Look into perennialism. Once you realise that all religions point to the same universal truths and spiritual secrets, you'll come to realise that Christianity is (was) just the post-pagan European expression of those metaphysical truths. I am no Christian but have no problem using Judeo-Christian symbolism and names, etc., in my workings because I understand the archetypes behind them. I prefer to use pagan terminology and images and such when possible but I am equally happy to use any religious framework if it serves my needs.
I think I've got some hang ups on the dogma of the mangled form of christianity i was raised with, it seems to be going back to that all the time.

motzfeldt

Neophyte
Reaction score
I think I've got some hang ups on the dogma of the mangled form of christianity i was raised with, it seems to be going back to that all the time.
As an organized religion it is utter dogshit yes, like Islam. If you study it purely from a spiritual point of view and ignore the hyper politicization then there are plenty of nuggets of truth to be unearthed. I would suggest reading about Gnosticism to get a better understanding of true Christianity before it was co-opted by the church and turned into a weapon.

In any case, if you want to avoid Christian frameworks entirely, then stick to pagan magic. Things like Helios Unbound and the PGM as brief examples.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
"Christ wasn't a Christian, Buddha wasn't a Buddhist..." and so forth.