• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Love and the Left Hand Path

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Which doesn't equal to narcisism but its more of a "master thyself" work.
So re: this - fyi I don't know what argument is going on here and am just asking info - what I don't understand is how that's different from RHP.

Like Initiation Into Hermetics since it's on my mind, or the Thelema exercises in will development, a tonne of the Quareia work, it's all about developing self-mastery

The RHP stuff I've seen doesn't have a lot of time for someone with no discipline, because there's no power without self-mastery

The difference seems to me that both LHP & RHP have self-mastery as a primary means, and are only different in their ends

Eg, Josephine from Quareia is an absolute hardass about self-mastery but the end goal is to use the power you develop in service, and to help preserve balance/Ma'at. It's the second part that makes it different from LHP, no?

(I should note here that JMC would probably hate me calling Quareia RHP since she believes in balance and doesn't buy into the terminology, but I think most outsiders would call it RHP)

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
One of the major contentions against the Left Hand Path is that it is a path without love. Given the persistence of unintelligent, destructive types who excuse their dysfunction by wrapping it in the traditional imagery of the Left Hand Path (ie; Satanism or Vampyrism), it's easy to understand why many harbour this misconception. Well, my wicked, unstaked Heart might be woozy with advocaat and befuddled with myrrh-scented candles but this misconception is a misconception.

A path which consciously seeks mastery over what the Buddhists call "attachments" through immersion in attachments, which sees in those attachments a reflection of the Self, the Left Hand Path is the only spiritual path which advocates Love from the vantage point of separation, a pre-requisite for loving a thing as it is, in itself. While conventional religions teach permanent union, so that the love of the divine and the love of the acolyte are obliterated in each other, the Left Hand Path initiate seeks not to obliterate their love but to immortalise it. They know that love is a sacred emanation from their deepest Self, a pulsation from their beating Heart/Coeur.

In ecstasy, initiates will temporarily unite with their love but this experience always enhances the state of separateness. On the romantic level, an initiate gives themselves fully to their beloved but this state reinforces their individual experience of Life rather than acts as an escape from it. The true Black Magician takes joy in knowing that after an early morning together, her/his beloved will go about her/his day with a sense of contentment and satisfaction, open to the endless health and life-enhancing benefits of shared, sacramental pleasure. Most importantly, the Black Magician knows that the virtues they glimpse in their beloved represent the Graal to which s/he endlessly strives.

Elsewhere, because the Left Hand Path is free of the disgraceful Abrahamic biases against non-human animals (excepting Francis of Assisi), its initiates are free to indulge in guiltless attachment to their animal friends, so often far more virtuous, far more deserving of love than hideous human parasites, demanding energy in one form or another. The initiate does not see in his/her relationship with animals that old adage of "serving others is serving God" but instead accepts animals as an end unto themselves, as individual, unique wonders. Because the Left Hand Path sees spirit and matter as totally immersed and inseparable, I know that in giving my cat something he enjoys, I am giving it to his whole being, not merely "feeding the flesh". I know too that when he brings me a leaf he has chosen, it's a sacred signal from his essence to mine. The flip side of this love is the burning hatred and unapologetic violence I would take pleasure in bringing upon those "ugly, degenerate human bastards" who would harm such manifestations of Life.

The Left Hand Path initiate loves other humans enough to hold them to a far higher standard than they are used to. Against a creed which says "forgive him seventy times seven", the Black Magician says "No! There are ways which will strengthen the best within you and those around you. Act the fool and violate those ways once and you will get a warning. Violate them again and again and evolution will correct your path, possibly through me!". We love, with the deepest love, what many other human beings are capable of Becoming. I celebrate and raise my glass to them when they reach checkpoints on the way to Becoming. To mollycoddle weakness, to cry in mawkishness, is to betray the depths of this love.

This is applied to ourselves as well as our neighbour. For, most importantly, the Black Magician loves his/her Self. Not with the poisonous "Perfect as I am" mantra (beloved of those who are so often below-average, much less perfect), but instead in a way which lives out that statement by one of the most beautiful minds:
Pretty gross generalization re: LHP

Vandheer

Disciple
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
So re: this - fyi I don't know what argument is going on here and am just asking info - what I don't understand is how that's different from RHP.
Its not. Methods to get there and the mindset behind it may differ though. You are better off asking this to Flowers re: 'Lords of LHP' though.
Post automatically merged:

You know Pixel, on second thought, why don't you open a thread about this? The question surely deserves discussion.

Last edited:

Voidking

Neophyte
Reaction score
My opinion is that Evil and Good are still social constructs and therefore must be discarded by the true adept, whether you like to term him Theurgist or Black magician, a true magician is neither and both. I just want to remind the people who are proud Theurgists, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Religion is the product of "Theurgists".

I do not trust practitioners who are proud to label themselves as "RHP" and Theurgists because I simply think that they are repressing their shadow and potential for evil and most likely their sexuality (I might be wrong), and therefore project it on other people.

Krsna suggested Humans should take the "left hand" path in the Kali Yuga, since the right hand path is almost impossible to take in this age. And if even this is not possible, then Bhakti-Yoga or specifically sarva-dharman. Which could be interpreted as being a "left hand" path discipline.

I'm part of a western bhakta cult that is centered on deity worship, possession and sexual communion, and I must admit that the path is rather fast in terms of alchemical transmutation and growth. Although the work would be labelled as "LHP" by today's western standards, we consider ourselves neither LHP nor RHP, actually we use both, and discipline is a pre-requisite obviously, otherwise you'll be damned by the power, temptations and the spirits.

Mars

Neophyte
Reaction score
There is no "Black" Magic, or "White" or "Grey" or any other colour for that matter. There is only Magic. Left Hand Path or Right Hand Path in Eastern esotericism and where this Idea originated from mind you, is completely different from what I read here in this forum so far.

Left Hand Path: If you follow a non conventional non collective dharma (duty, religious motif), Tantra etc.

Right Hand Path: If you strictly adhere to conventional dharma. Societal norms, purity, asceticism, Rituals.

It's not "Evil" vs "Good". These concepts simply dont exist in nature. It is something sentimental humans invented. Later propagated by the Abrahamic faiths.

In Hermeticism likewise.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
There is no "Black" Magic, or "White" or "Grey" or any other colour for that matter. There is only Magic. Left Hand Path or Right Hand Path in Eastern esotericism and where this Idea originated from mind you, is completely different from what I read here in this forum so far.

Left Hand Path: If you follow a non conventional non collective dharma (duty, religious motif), Tantra etc.

Right Hand Path: If you strictly adhere to conventional dharma. Societal norms, purity, asceticism, Rituals.

It's not "Evil" vs "Good". These concepts simply dont exist in nature. It is something sentimental humans invented. Later propagated by the Abrahamic faiths.

In Hermeticism likewise.
I love the smell of sanity in the morning. It smells like ( insert something highly quotable here).

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I do not trust practitioners who are proud to label themselves as "RHP" and Theurgists because I simply think that they are repressing their shadow and potential for evil and most likely their sexuality (I might be wrong), and therefore project it on other people.

I think "proud" is key here, and whether you're interpreting someone else's simple statement of fact as a boast

I don't think of myself in terms of paths (I'm probably mostly a chaos magician, but again I don't really bother thinking about that label either) but if someone asked, LHP or RHP, I would say RHP, because if something walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's really annoying if it won't just go "I mean yeah, I guess technically I'm a duck"

It's not my label of choice, but I know what people mean when they say it, so I won't waste their time by fussing around with semantics instead of giving a straight answer

Wintruz

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Pretty gross generalization re: LHP
Once again, I shall have to learn to live with your disappointment.

The difference seems to me that both LHP & RHP have self-mastery as a primary means, and are only different in their ends
This is correct but it has implications for the earlier stages of Self-Work.

Confusion can emerge because of unclearness around what is meant by Right Hand Path. I distinguish two methods or types of the Right Hand Path; non-transformative and transformative/initiatory. In fairness, I have sometimes used the two definitions interchangeably when I should make the distinction.

The non-transformative approach is found in the popular understanding of religions, the New Age movement and political and social conformity. In essence, this is the way of no Work and it's the default for the majority of sleepy humanity. "Salvation", when the question arises at all, comes as part of belonging (whether to a church, "common humanity", or because we are "already one with the All") and so any Work has been outsourced to priesthoods, community leaders or the Universe/God itself. What is required of the follower for this salvation is conformity with any precepts and/or ridding oneself of the "illusion of separation". There are manifestations of this in the political idea that "no man is an island" and, at it's most extreme, the Wahhabist prohibition on even asking questions. These beliefs can be held at varying levels of intensity, from Wahhabism and Communism to much softer variants.

I cannot speak for those who practice modern versions of tantra but I haven't met a single initiate of the Western Left Hand Path, from dabblers to Masters, who isn't in direct conflict with this type of "thinking". Some followers of the Right Hand Path would also distinguish what they are doing from this condition. Provided they don't start with the "we're all equal in the end" bit, I'm happy to accept some Right Hand Path initiates at this. Speaking of which...

The initiatory approach to the Right Hand Path was, I think, beautifully summarised by 666. Aleister Crowley, inspired by tantra interestingly enough, based the entire A.'. A.'. system on the idea of erotic tension between the Universe and the Individual. Also influenced by the old Chivalric idea of courtship where, through trials, the knight would have to prove his virtue to his beloved, it would be a dishonour to Life and the Universe Herself to presume She'd take you into Her bosom simply because you happened to exist. Instead, the Individual (conceived as male) must make himself a worthy lover of the Universe (conceived as female). He must work hard on himself, developing all of his powers and fully realising himself over the course of many years. This will end in consummation of the marriage between Individual and Universe, and the obliteration of the observer and the observed.

This is perfectly in keeping with the Western Left Hand Path with the exception of the end point. The LHP adept loves Life, loves Nuit, but wants to continue to love from a point of separation.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I think "proud" is key here, and whether you're interpreting someone else's simple statement of fact as a boast

I don't think of myself in terms of paths (I'm probably mostly a chaos magician, but again I don't really bother thinking about that label either) but if someone asked, LHP or RHP, I would say RHP, because if something walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's really annoying if it won't just go "I mean yeah, I guess technically I'm a duck"

It's not my label of choice, but I know what people mean when they say it, so I won't waste their time by fussing around with semantics instead of giving a straight answer
My dear old familiar, Bathomat, once declared to me in secretest colloquoy: "RHP---it's what virtue-signallers do on days they cosplay Harry Potter." Seriously, though, if it was not for quibbling about semantics and scrying what we're sure must be others' motives, this forum would be a half a dozen lonely questions and a score or three of book lists.