• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Mandala

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Spirituality of Mandalas.
I’ll give a very basic rundown of what a Mandala is and its purpose in Buddhism although… religious institutions like Christianity use a form of them through a Christian lens and they tend to be permanent. Other practices like Hinduism and Tibetan monks, China, Nepal etc… also create their own versions of them. I’ll go over the more tradition Tibetan Buddhist method.

A Mandala is essentially a work of art that a Buddhist will make, they will clear a ritual space, sit down and rather have a Guide or do it themselves, they take colored sand and over the period of days if not longer create a beautiful work of art. The reason for this is for spiritual understanding and meditation. As well as… their belief nothing is permanent, it is the transformation of sadness to joy as they carefully choose the pattern to create a more beautiful rendition of the universe.

Each symbol has a meaning,
For instance a circle can be interpreted as wholeness,
A square can be interpreted as the physical world
More unique Shapes can represent other aspects of the universe.
each color has a meaning as well.
Blue for calmness or peace, red for passion or strength, Green for well being or nature, etc…

It’s a common practice after creating these gorgeous mandalas for Tibetan Monks to not save them, but rather let the sand drift away in water or brush them away. This process highlights the impermanence of life.

This is a very important concept in spirituality imo. Letting things go. You may work hard on something just to destroy it or let others enjoy.
The end result isn’t the prize, it was what was learned during the creation. It’s a form of meditation, it’s a form of creativity, it’s a form of expression.
It is a way of nurturing your soul.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
The now-defunct order, the Knights of Tyrodhal in Argenting had some serious reservations about mandalas. In their cosmology, mandalas were traps crafted by the Demiurge's minions. They had their own diagrams they claimed were the "original" maps for liberation. Check out "Elements of Hyperborean Wisdom" by Nimrod De Rosario.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
The now-defunct order, the Knights of Tyrodhal in Argenting had some serious reservations about mandalas. In their cosmology, mandalas were traps crafted by the Demiurge's minions. They had their own diagrams they claimed were the "original" maps for liberation. Check out "Elements of Hyperborean Wisdom" by Nimrod De Rosario.
Good information to know, I was focused on more the spirituality of it, releasing a creation and letting it return to where it came seems kind of antithetical to what the demiurge would want. When they are saved and put on church windows or made permanent I can see how that would coincide with the idea of remaining on the physical plane though. So it does make sense in that regard/ to those specific ones.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I wonder if this is connected with the idea that demons could be trapped by the sight of complex geometric figures?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
You might want to check out
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
as well. The Wikipedia article provides some brief explanations as to what a circle, triangle etc. means. I dimly remember seeing yantras in some book on Tantra, and unlike mandalas, they were in black and white and mainly consisted of intersecting triangles and were not as elaborate as mandalas by far; a bit like Western-style magic sigils.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
You might want to check out
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
as well. The Wikipedia article provides some brief explanations as to what a circle, triangle etc. means. I dimly remember seeing yantras in some book on Tantra, and unlike mandalas, they were in black and white and mainly consisted of intersecting triangles and were not as elaborate as mandalas by far; a bit like Western-style magic sigils.
That sounds pretty interesting, I have read of a mandala used with like black charcoal, black paint that’s then scrapped away and smoothed out then covered in gold but never heard of a yantra.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I wonder if this is connected with the idea that demons could be trapped by the sight of complex geometric figures?
De Rosario doesn't mention that, but it certainly seems a related idea.