• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Map Making

Khoren_

Zealot
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone experimented with "crystal grids" but instead of trying to build something for a ritual/desire you use divination and the stones to determine what futures exist, in what "direction" and their probability? I'd even entertain discussion of how people map out the potential futures of their divination attempts.

A few notes that might help those understand what I mean:

All possibilities exist. Time is the same as Space. Each experience is a bubble our "souls"* drift through. As a "path worker"** I direct my experiences in specific directions at specific times to move through those experiences. The less probable the experience, the more energy that is required.

*Soul: not soul in the traditional sense, but our sense of self that gives rise to our experience of time.

**Path Worker: I use this term very loosely, as it has actual meaning in the shamanistic (colloquial) circles, but the two words together are the closest I can get to what I mean.

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone experimented with "crystal grids" but instead of trying to build something for a ritual/desire you use divination and the stones to determine what futures exist, in what "direction" and their probability? I'd even entertain discussion of how people map out the potential futures of their divination attempts.

A few notes that might help those understand what I mean:

All possibilities exist. Time is the same as Space. Each experience is a bubble our "souls"* drift through. As a "path worker"** I direct my experiences in specific directions at specific times to move through those experiences. The less probable the experience, the more energy that is required.

*Soul: not soul in the traditional sense, but our sense of self that gives rise to our experience of time.

**Path Worker: I use this term very loosely, as it has actual meaning in the shamanistic (colloquial) circles, but the two words together are the closest I can get to what I mean.
Do you mean directions in visualization? Like a large area? If so, that'd be of interest. I have done and am getting back to laying out runes over a large tract of imagined countryside (fact-based combining several locales.) I had not thought about locating possible futures, but am now intrigued by the notion.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
The connections divination makes with other frauds always made me cynical on the topic
but this feels very fresh and interesting, it sounds like you are on an advanced level (or above a beginner at the very least) of contemplating this
i've never heard of this before, it only reminded me of a method for scrying past lives i read somewhere...
and that's what i'd suggest giving a glance towards...perhaps you can reverse engineer it to work for your needs

You should go into some depth or detail on this, it sounds promising.
So long as the end result doesn't involve letting colored rocks do all the talking,
have you considered some patron-ish entity to try and enlist for this? Odin comes to mind...
Post automatically merged:

actually, im back to cynic
what's the point of having multiple versions of the future wasn't the main idea to know the right-most likely- one in the first place?

Last edited:

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
The connections divination makes with other frauds always made me cynical on the topic
but this feels very fresh and interesting, it sounds like you are on an advanced level (or above a beginner at the very least) of contemplating this
i've never heard of this before, it only reminded me of a method for scrying past lives i read somewhere...
and that's what i'd suggest giving a glance towards...perhaps you can reverse engineer it to work for your needs

So long as the end result doesn't involve letting colored rocks do all the talking,
have you considered some patron-ish entity to try and enlist for this? Odin comes to mind...

what's the point of having multiple versions of the future wasn't the main idea to know the right-most likely- one in the first place?
I suppose he thinks to give a less likely, personally preferable one a shove. This sounds like a matter for the forum's Robert Ramsay.

Khoren_

Zealot
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Do you mean directions in visualization? Like a large area? If so, that'd be of interest. I have done and am getting back to laying out runes over a large tract of imagined countryside (fact-based combining several locales.) I had not thought about locating possible futures, but am now intrigued by the notion.
I'm gonna do a larger write up, because as I was trying to dive into this topic, I realized how many prior axioms are expected, and it may take a bit longer than a few lines...

But to answer your question in short: Directions as in "weight" of experience.

I'm not using it to be like "YoU wIlL mEeT a TaLl DaRk MaN iN YoUr FuTuRe" but trying to figure out probabilities of potential futures and seeing which ones lead to other futures, and so on. Think of it like chess, where most divinatory results are looking for simple answers, I'm looking for steps after certain experiences. If I let myself win a million dollars, how will that affect my other potential futures.

Sure, I can be simply lying to myself into believing that I can affect anything at all, but isn't that what we all are doing?

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I'm gonna do a larger write up, because as I was trying to dive into this topic, I realized how many prior axioms are expected, and it may take a bit longer than a few lines...

But to answer your question in short: Directions as in "weight" of experience.

I'm not using it to be like "YoU wIlL mEeT a TaLl DaRk MaN iN YoUr FuTuRe" but trying to figure out probabilities of potential futures and seeing which ones lead to other futures, and so on. Think of it like chess, where most divinatory results are looking for simple answers, I'm looking for steps after certain experiences. If I let myself win a million dollars, how will that affect my other potential futures.

Sure, I can be simply lying to myself into believing that I can affect anything at all, but isn't that what we all are doing?
You mean we're all maybe gaslighting ourselves? Most of us are in that position, yes. Though this is so to varying degrees. Those whose outcomes oft coincide with their will quite justifiably gain confidence. The others go back to tweak and tinker.

Khoren_

Zealot
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
The Experiences

The way I've always described it is that time is another dimension in space that we traverse much in the same way as we traverse a trail in a forest. Some trails are more worn (more probable) where some trails are non-existent (less probable). It's hard to describe unless I visualize it like a vast ocean/plains with each possible future a "Bubble" of existence. These layers/bubbles of existence can be "mapped". I have up to now used tarot, runes, I Ching, gem stones, and just plain old intuition to place this fourth dimension onto a lower dimension. Think of how a 2-d tesseract is just a shadow of the 3-d shadow of the 4-d tesseract. As you map out each possibility, you find certain directions have more probability than others.

"Directions" in this case act as a metaphor for the velocity of my experiences towards a given experience (which experience is more likely if nothing is done to change the direction). Every moment in time also has a "weight" to it. Much in the same way every object has a gravity to it, each moment in experience has a weight which draws "souls" to this moment. Some moments may be more dense than others and may seem "inevitable", but with enough force, you can dodge these moments, or cause them to happen "sooner", or even delay them to a later moment.

While reading Jung, the idea of archetypes struck me as somewhat useful. Both in the manner of how they can be used psychologically1 and magically. If we also apply the platonic ideal of a thing to the point that all expressions of the thing are simply facets of the thing, we can push these experiences slowly into other “places” in time. The archetypes will remain the same, the details will differ.

A good example is if you are asking for a “job that pays well”, you can find that in any number of innumerable moments in time, but ultimately it is up to you to determine the details in particular. Much like the quantum mechnanical idea of an outcome that can only be measured once observed3, specifics of an archetype can only be determined if the specific iteration is observed. The universe only observes4 the vague fractals that express themselves, but ultimately cares not for the minutae of the fractal itself.

So taking these ideas, we can further expand the metaphor. If each moment has weight5 to it, leading every soul6 towards a certain trajectory, we can then judge those weights and moments by their distance, weight, and relative archetypes7. Furthermore, divination and various other methods of “fortune telling”8 operate along the same levels of probability. Much like videogame seeds operate through various levels of RNG9, the world, with its various levels of interconnectivity and quantum entanglement10, also has intertwinned levels of probability that all affect future (and past) probabilities. By utilizing the various outcomes of these divinations and fortunes, we can come close to accurately predicting the outcomes of other experiences, when they will arrive, how much weight they have, what other bodies exist around them, and how to move our souls in such a way as to influence the events in our path. Effectively utilizing outcomes of related probabilities, you can predict the relative “location” of each event.

The Map

When you have accurately assayed various methods of intuition, divination, and probability estimation, you may begin. I do suggest that you try to at least reach a level of understanding of the various divination states that you can generally understand each without constant referencing of their meanings11 before you attempt to map make. I’m not saying that an amateur cannot do this, but that for it to be accurate, you must at least be moderately aware of various practices of probability assaying.

As with anything, a sacred space must be laid out. This isn’t because the method requires a level of “sacredness”11 to it – ultimately the only necessity to “sacred spaces” is just to have an area that you have designated as being able to lay out the map12. If it helps you, perform whatever ritual you need to get yourself into the headspace required – it ultimately doesn’t matter what the specifics are, as we’re operating on a metaplane – and lay out the space. There are any matter of dimensions, but whatever works for you to conceptualize the space is good enough.

Once you have laid out the space, you need to determine a few levels of conceptualization. First and foremost, you need to determine the representation of your self13. This does not have to be specifically any type of representation, you can use wood, gemstones, sigils, or even totems. The idea is the same, it has nothing to do with the map itself, because the map is not the territory. This is to ground yourself, basically provide yourself with a “You are here”.

Once you have determined where you Are, you can start sending out the echoes of probability to figure out the location of various experiences, or Bubbles. The first thing that I recommend is to send out an echo, not even asking for anything in particular, but to see what references to the echo return15. In many cases, it may evolve alongside your ability to read the divinatory tactics, as a lot of the metaconcepts are the same, leaving you to ultimately develop a “sixth sense”17 for each type of experience. Some of the less “weighty”18 ones may be harder to predict, as some of them ultimately have less of an impact upon other probabilities, and thus are harder to see19.

Each event can be represented in the mundane by various objects, again a permutation of the actual event, an echo, but not the event itself.21 I personally use gemstones, as this was built from crystal gridding, but I can imagine that you can also technically draw this out on a piece of paper. In the center of the map, I place the image of the Self21. In to the “north”22 of the self, the most weighty of the events is placed, if there are multiple, direct them as needed.23 As more events are brought about, place them as necessary. The less weighty, the further from “true north” they will drift. Once you have placed the map, you can direct your self as needed24.

The Map can be reevaluated daily, weekly, monthly, or as you feel necessary. I typically do it before any major spells to guide my spellwork25. I think that covers everything.

[1]: You are more healthy mentally if you are able to assess your own person and align it with a type based on either your cultural mythos or your own personal mythos. Mental DisOrder comes from being unable to align your self with your cultural or own personal mythos. The Archetypes that Jung specifically set out were drawn from his cultural perspective and effectively change – albeit not by much – but the general idea, or the metaidea2, behind them is the same.

[2]: A Metaidea is an idea about an idea, something that shows how an idea can be used more than just the simple execution for which it was imagined.

[3]: This is quite an understatement, to be sure, but the metaidea is the same. Until the specific experience is snapped into place, the archetypes remain relatively stable with the specifics being completely volatile and subject to change.

[4]: I’m using the term observe very loosely here, because the universe ultimately doesn’t “observe” anything, as it exists at all moments and places simultaneously, including parallel experiences. It simply is, much in the same way a fractal is. Patterns, archetypes, etc, continue to exist and perpetuate.

[5]: Weight in this case is specifically about how likely an event is. Probability of a circumstance exists as a density that draws souls towards the event. Archetypes are always looking to be filled, and certain experiences have more weight for certain archetypes.

[6]: A soul in this case isn’t meant to be taken literally, as the idea of a “soul” exists less as a metaphysical thing that instructs the material towards certain instances, and more as a metaphor for the sense of self that exists within the archetypes. The idea is similar to Malkhut, but a little different? It’s hard to discuss metaideas at the level of ideas when expressing something that exists across a wide array of cultural mythos.

[7]: Every moment in existence will perpetuate itself unto infinity just as a fractal will constantly fill the space it occupies. Just because your specific details aren’t filling the archetypical space within the experience doesn’t mean it won’t be filled by another. This is also how you can delay experiences, by finding a similar enough archetype to fill the experience. More on this later.

[8]: The only methods of divination or fortune telling that I can currently think of that doesn’t operate on this same level of luck/probability is astrology and palmistry. Though, one can also argue that those specific signs, planets, and times can be entirely arbitrary and are specifically aligned based on the thousands of probabilities that came before that specific moment of one’s conception and birth. That’s probably splitting hairs at that point, though.

[9]: RNG, or Random Number Generation, is the method by which many video games attempt to replicate true Randomness for a user to experience. In many cases, if you start on a specific “seed”, or starting number, you will find that you can accurately predict the subsequent moments in the game if you follow the same motions, which result in the same, or similar enough, outcomes.

[10]: Quantum entanglement is the theory that certain particles, such as electron, quarks, etc. cannot be truly described as independent of each other, as their specific quantum states both influence and are influenced by other quantum states. This is a simplified version, as the actual theory requires mathematics that I cannot for the life of me come to describe without taking multiple Ph.Ds in theoretical physics.

[11]: In many cultures, cleansing, incense burning, or various other spells of “assigning a space as sacred” tends to be enough. Personally, I just have a space that is set aside specifically for this action which tends to be enough.

[12]: Sometimes you can just have a shoebox with a towel in it – I did that for a few years – or you can have a specific room, or you can do it in a wide open field. The idea is the same, but you have to be able to scale it up or down as necessary. Remember, this is not the territory, but simply a map.

[13]: This loops back around to the conceptualization of the Soul. It ultimately doesn’t matter how you conceptualize your sense of self, as long as you are capable of conceptualizing your Self as beyond your simple body and thoughts. Your self extends beyond that which experiences, but your tools that also extend as who you are. This is your whole conceptualization of your Self, everything that makes you You. Remember, you must also understand the whole metaconceptualization of your Self14. You aren’t special beyond your specific details. The universe is only looking for the archetypes to fill the fractalizations of itself.

[14]: As a side note, I am uncertain if you can actually change your archetype, or even change the metaconceptualization of your Self, even if you fully understand it. Is this something that is set by the various probabilities that existed up to this moment? Is this like changing from an electron to a proton? I have yet to explore this possibility, but maybe one of you can expand on this.

[15]: This is not much unlike SONAR, where you send out a singular pulse and wait to hear back the echo of this pulse. However, in this case, you’re not waiting to “hear” back from the echo, but rather experience the echo. Experience in this case is going to be your best friend. You cannot assume that you are correct in your predictions until they have come true within a reasonable margin16.

[16]: I was going to be a super math nerd and say within a P value of 0.05, but unless you have a background in statistics, I don’t think you’d understand what that means.

[17]: He’s Dead, Jim.

[18]: Those events which ultimately don’t draw as much “probability”, or even affect future events as much. There exists sort of a “line” of what types of events exist. There’s those which are considered “inevitable” or will happen regardless of the specifics that exist between archetypes, which are much more “weighty” than others, think of these like black holes, stars, or massive planets. Then there’s those which will pass by without much note, think of these like tiny particles floating in space. Simply remember: With enough velocity, even a blade of grass can cut down a tree.

[19]: Again, this is metaphorical, as you’re not so much “seeing” the future, as feeling it out. As mentioned in footnote 18, some future events are harder to read than others. As you start to understand which events are in your near future, you can start playing with these events. I recommend starting with a smaller, less weighty event and seeing if you can influence it happening. For example, find an event that you can reliably predict for yourself, like crossing under a green light as a light example, and see if you can push this event one way or the other. The Goal isn’t to force it to happen, but to see if you can influence it to a reliable enough degree that you can start to direct your own trajectory20. It isn’t about what you want, at this level, but to see what you can reliably do. By learning of our own personal ability to redirect your vessel through the vastness of time, you can thereby learn which probabilities are within your gasp and which require too much energy.

[20]: At this rate, I have started to imagine my trajectory through the seas of time as a boat captain. Using the various tools I have to direct my vessel towards, away, or around certain events.

[21]: I’m sure you can place it wherever on the map, but I do it as a means of centering myself.

[22]: In this case, “true north” or “north” is in the direct path of your velocity. This isn’t a real “northwards” direction, but rather the general direction in which you are heading. The weight of the event doesn’t matter, as the will still eventually direct your velocity, but their location is determined by your own velocity.

[23]: Events that are further away in time can be seen as further away from the center. I tend to stagger them as they are never in a straight line, but can exist along the same velocity.

[24]: More on this in footnote 19 and 20.

[25]: For me, the spellwork isn’t manifesting anything into existence, but rather pushing what already exists either into the path of my velocity or moving my velocity to move towards those experiences or around them. Like flying through space or through a vast ocean, you can use the weight of these experiences to help direct your velocity.

bump

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
holy.
shit.

little bro hit me with the references and the annotations.

points for me i knew this one smelled like a hit
best thing i read in weeks, i will forward my appreciations to the fuhrer.

Robert Ramsay

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
This is why divination normally turns into enchantment after looking ahead more than a couple of weeks, in exactly the same way as weather becames impossible, even in theory, to predict more than a couple of weeks ahead. Either that or you have to realise that you are going to be looking at 'climate' rather than 'weather' i.e. there will be no details.

The other thing is that there are timelines for EVERY possible experience, and there will be a version of you in each of them (assuming a piano hasn't fallen on your head or something). The question is, which one of them do you want to end up being?

There's a lot more I could drone on about, since somebody mentioned quantum physics :D but I will say that most of the cosmological visualisation described in the long-ass post is close enough for jazz.

I do think that this is an interesting and fresh approach to divination, using the divining to lay out multiple choices. It does sound a bit difficult to pull off, though :)

Khoren_

Zealot
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
This is why divination normally turns into enchantment after looking ahead more than a couple of weeks

I was going to ramble on in the post about how ultimately the future is in our hands, how the Vikings saw the casting of lots as a game of chance, how Carroll rambled on about probability in his books and how we can influence it, but it felt like it was getting close to an article and less of a forum post

The other thing is that there are timelines for EVERY possible experience

Imagine bumping into your meta self and forcing them to live an experience you didn't want to :p

There's a lot more I could drone on about

I love Drone right after Post-Rock

I do think that this is an interesting and fresh approach to divination, using the divining to lay out multiple choices. It does sound a bit difficult to pull off, though

This is something I have only myself started to fully grasp in the last few years of my Work, and I've been doing this stuff for going on twenty years. It's definitely not a working that I would mention, let alone explain, to an amateur, as it requires:
1) a LOT of theory, both academic and otherwise, to even be able to grasp what it's trying to do
2) a LOT of practice, both physical and mental, because not only do you have to know WHAT you want with clarity, but also how to get there. A magician that barely understands how magic works itself will barely be able to track the events, let alone know what it means to direct their velocity.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
This is why divination normally turns into enchantment after looking ahead more than a couple of weeks, in exactly the same way as weather becames impossible, even in theory, to predict more than a couple of weeks ahead. Either that or you have to realise that you are going to be looking at 'climate' rather than 'weather' i.e. there will be no details.

The other thing is that there are timelines for EVERY possible experience, and there will be a version of you in each of them (assuming a piano hasn't fallen on your head or something). The question is, which one of them do you want to end up being?

There's a lot more I could drone on about, since somebody mentioned quantum physics :D but I will say that most of the cosmological visualisation described in the long-ass post is close enough for jazz.

I do think that this is an interesting and fresh approach to divination, using the divining to lay out multiple choices. It does sound a bit difficult to pull off, though :)
That is the unfortunate difference why you never dropped such a banger Mr. Ramsey.
it's new, bold, and clearly indicates if not passion, then skill in the subject.
While i struggle to remember one example of yours where the answer isn't
"there are alternate versions and universes guys!"
i know. i watch Rick and Morty i can keep up no need to get the chalkboard out.

It's a great post from a new ninja let him have his cookie.

Robert Ramsay

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
That is the unfortunate difference why you never dropped such a banger Mr. Ramsey.
it's new, bold, and clearly indicates if not passion, then skill in the subject.
While i struggle to remember one example of yours where the answer isn't
"there are alternate versions and universes guys!"
i know. i watch Rick and Morty i can keep up no need to get the chalkboard out.

It's a great post from a new ninja let him have his cookie.
I am absolutely not taking anything away from him. It's bold, very bold.

I like to restrict myself to posting about things I know about, even if the impression you got from them is so simplified as to not be worth the effort. Otherwise you might be able to spell my name correctly when it's right there in front of you.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Indeed old chap, in fact i would go as far as to say the very utterance of it as such was meant to be an insult
i've been dissing you for ages that you used the meme defensively is like the worst quantum choice for a professional

you're not taking anything away from THEM :D so we can burry the hatchets

im just saying, mix it up a little. I don't do divination but i can predict your posts before i read them.