• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Metal Casting Instruments of the Art

G. Ephraim

Neophyte
Reaction score
Greetings,

It's been a moment since I last posted. Life has a way of blinding us to the passage of time but that's neither here nor there. My preparations for working Verum are progressing nicely and I've recently acquired an electric smelting furnace in order to hand craft different Instruments of the Art! I'm hoping to primarily use Bronze as my main casting medium, however, I'm hoping some of you lovely folks would share your thoughts on this aspect of my work. I'm specifically interested in opinions on the planetary correlations of metals and their relation to the instruments, specifically the knife used in forming the circle. Of the knife the text reads:

“It is necessary to have a knife made or bought on the day and hour of Jupiter with the Moon crescent. Quench it in mole’s blood and juice of pimpernel.”

For starters, there is the obvious association with Jupiter here given the day and hour of working. The quenching ingredients however point to both a Saturnian and Mercurial influence. Agrippa attributes the mole, as well as creatures that generally live in holes below the earth, to Saturn and the pimpernel flower to Mercury. The flower is easy enough to obtain in dry form in order to make into a liquid concentrate, however, the mole's blood is... tricky. As I've discussed in a previous post there is an argument to be made for substitution for mole's blood with either a Saturnian plant or another animal. Given Saturn's association with mice and rats, there is a possibility here to procure frozen feeder mice from a pet store which can then be thawed and drained of blood. One could also use a live rat or mouse however, I'm not too keen on the killing of small animals, and in my opinion reasonably so! The blade material here also leaves some room for interpretation. Verum instructs to use "new steel" for the knife used for the slaying of the victim of the art, however, this is not present in the knife used in making the circle. My plan is to use bronze for the blade via sand casting. This is for two main reasons: firstly, the connection between this kind of goetic working and its associations with Greek mythology as elucidated by JSK in Geosophia. In Greek Antiquity, Bronze was the primary metal used for many instruments and weapons. Secondly, being located in a busy city surrounded by neighboring apartments makes the prospect of blacksmithing somewhat unrealistic. An electric smelting furnace and sand casting with a material like bronze is much more achievable. TrollCunningForge has made some spectacular bronze blades which have helped a great deal with inspiration, I highly recommend checking out his Instagram and Etsy shop.

What do you all think of some of the planetary correspondences I've described? I'm extremely excited to continue forward with this work and plan to post photos of the blade as I work on it.

Rowena

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if it will work for a knife blade - but you might want to have a look at metal clay for creating smaller items - as I understand it some types can be fired in a microwave or on a gas hob, and that seems far more apartment-friendly than sand-casting.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

G. Ephraim

Neophyte
Reaction score
I don't know if it will work for a knife blade - but you might want to have a look at metal clay for creating smaller items - as I understand it some types can be fired in a microwave or on a gas hob, and that seems far more apartment-friendly than sand-casting.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Luckily I have access to a backyard that's private for the most part! Probably should have mentioned that

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Super interesting. But blades (and a chalice for example) aren't cast. The blade is forged and a chalice / cup / bowl is worked and shaped by hand. I do understand your reasoning about truly creating it from liquid metal at a specific time so that it truly is "born" under a certain astrological time, and I wish you much success with this approach!