• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Multidimensionality of Time

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
Note: Given this is a discussion on the general idea, but I have a few texts I will reference, as well as a few youtube videos, I felt this was best placed into "Gen Occult" as opposed to specific book discussion.

This is the last bit I wrote, and looking for some feedback, some insight, really just putting it out there.

When we are discussing the implications of a multidimensional time, we have to realize that the one dimension of time is not the only dimension of time. We are so used to experiencing time in a linear, causal progression, to the point that we heuristically assign all moments prior to cause all moments antecedent. While, broadly, this is true insofar that all moments antecedent are influenced by all moments prior, this does not mean that all moments prior cause all moments antecedent. For what it is worth, we will play with this idea somewhat in this book, as there will be a discussion of “material conditions”1, but note that this does not mean either “physical properties of prior moments” nor does it mean that all moments prior in fact cause all moments antecedent. In most cases, relationalism – the idea that things exist as a relation to other things, and do not exist as a thing-in-itself, as reputed by Immanuel Kant – is the underlying axiom that is assumed here. Events, people, things, ideas, etc. exist in relation to others, and thus are influenced by these others. Given that all of reality is indeed relational in nature, we expand this to mean that reality as we understand it is also intersubjective – or the idea that things are defined by their interaction with conscious minds2. But I digress.
As we expand our understanding of time from one-dimension to many, we must also reconcile this with our causal heuristics. Causality as it is understood must be tossed as the sole underlying function of the universe. Now, reminder, we are not tossing the baby out with the bathwater as we can utilize the heuristic of causality to allow us to understand how correlative capacities of the universe can inform our actions, both in multi-dimensional time and in the motions of our magic.
First, what does it mean for time to be multi-dimensional, both in the practical and the theoretical capacity in which it affects us? Does this mean that we can traverse multiple dimensions of time, much in the same way we do space? Or does our capacity for integrating the heuristics assigned with one-dimensional time limit us to actually influence anything beyond our own experiences? All in all, we must realize that the universe is way grander and vast than we come to understand it, and as such this may mean our current heuristics of understanding time needs to be updated.

To answer the first question, we need to explain how to discuss this planar time3. Normally time as a linear progression exists as a “before”, “during”, and “after”. It is easy to conceptualize the progression of events, and even subject this progression to causality heuristics, as it is the way we logically understand them. However, tossing out the heuristics of causality, we see less of a causal influence of events before others, and more of a correlative one. Events that happen after other events aren’t necessarily caused by those events, but may show similar correlative properties which can lead those not completely versed in statistics to believe that there is a causal relation. This even can extend to a more complex understanding that events after can cause events before, if you look at the statistical model showing that the correlative properties are effectively 1:1. A more reasoned understanding of correlative effects, however, can lead one to understand that events can happen synchroncistically, as opposed to causally. This, again, does not imply that the material influence of prior events do not affect posterior events, but rather leads us to rethink what it means to cause something. More on this when we discuss possibility, probability, and the function of attractors. While the majority of events do have arbitrary durations that only exist as a means for us to demarcate various moments in time, this is not inherent to the events, and thus can only be used as a shorthand when discussing events. When we move from a linear progression to a more planar progression, we find that these durations, and even the supposed causal nature of reality, breaks apart more easily. An event exists as a vector, and not a “line”, in which the arbitrary “start” of the event denotes the origin of the vector and the duration of the event exists as the magnitude and direction of the vector4. The “end” of the event doesn’t even occur, at least not in the same way that it would in linear time, which is why I shorthand the conceptualization to a vector space5. For those who have taken more advanced mathematics, each event space on the temporal plane can be seen as a sum of many differential planes, much in the same way we conceptualize magnetic fields.

1 Given that Marx’s first intention of Material Conditions implied that there was a directionality to time, and that physical events cause moments antecedent, this is going to be a bit of a demarcation. I agree with Marx in that the surrounding environment does in fact influence the events and decisions made, but I disagree broadly with the idea that there is a directionality to time and that there is only the physical processes of the world that influence these events. When I discuss “material”, I do not imply physicality, but merely state that events, ideas, people, etc. have an influence upon other events, ideas, people, etc. Material in this case is taken to mean “being both relevant and consequential”.
2 In this assumption, there is no such thing as a “nonconscious mind” – to be differentiated from a subconscious or unconscious mind – and thus all things are “conscious” in that they have vectors of time and space that influence other things. Yes, this includes things as small as electrons and as large as celestial bodies.
3 I will admit a lot of this explanation will be almost taken verbatim from The Zip Creator’s Saj video, but there will be some key distinctions, namely the existence of causality. I hope to provide enough of a differentiation from how they explain and conceptualize planar time that it will be seen as suitably distinct.
4 The explanation of events existing as a vector is, again, a shorthand to explain how the event itself originates in the plane of time, and then ripples out from the vector itself in “all directions”, influencing both past, present, and future events. Think of these vectors as if you took your hand and ran it in a line, or plane, through a still pond, with the effects rippling out from the “origin vector” of the event.
5 As a note, the vector space is also not strictly linear in form, and can actually be more regularly described as a vector plane, where the “origin” can be a point or a line and the “end” can extend nigh infinitely into both the “y” and “x” axis.