• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Notification(s) when a reply is edited

Nobody

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I noticed that comments edited after a while did not bring up the topics discussed. I'm also not sure if they send a notification to people participating in the thread. Maybe this could be a nice feature to integrate into the forum? Thank you SkullTraill ! ;-)

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I'm guessing you mean the auto-merge edits?

Makes no sense to get notifications or bump a thread for a correctional edit.

When it comes to auto-merge posts, they were added explicitly to avoid bumping the thread and notifying people. Sure sometimes people post additional useful information, but much, much more often it is people carelessly posting low-value posts 2-5 times in a row as if this is a chat site, when in fact it is a forum.

Members are expected to think before they post, and craft a useful, succinct reply to a thread, Only then will it warrant a reply from another member. And only with a reply from another member offering either a new view, or additional information, does it warrant being bumped up the thread list for others to see once again.

I am strongly opposed to members treating forum threads as facebook chat boxes for them to vomit sub-intellectual diarrhea impulsively and without intent or giving it pause.

I won't be implementing this at the moment, because the simple solution to merge-replies not bringing up threads or sending notifications is to make sure what you replied in the first place (which does bump the thread and send notifications) covers the full breadth of what you wanted to say and adds enough value/depth to the conversation to get people replying to you. That will keep the thread bumped and the notifications flowing. If someone needs to spastically make 3-5 consecutive replies/posts over the span of a couple hours/days in order to get their point across then they are better suited to a facebook group chat than an occult forum.

Tl;dr: collect your thoughts pantiently, think about what you're going to post before posting it, make your post something valuable and succinct... and only then should you post it. That will bump the thread, and get people to reply.