• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Occult power

Parallax

Neophyte
Reaction score
In terms of energy, I’ve come across people who distinguish vital energy from “power” as they described it. From what I can tell they mean a spiritual energy they utilize for spells and workings.
Is this a form of vampirism or the manipulation of natural energies in all things?
What does it mean in difference?

Accipeveldare

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
In terms of energy, I’ve come across people who distinguish vital energy from “power” as they described it. From what I can tell they mean a spiritual energy they utilize for spells and workings.
Is this a form of vampirism or the manipulation of natural energies in all things?
What does it mean in difference?
Well, in terms of Asetian Vampirism. You refine energy for uses such as spells and rituals. (Or to put towards your astral body) So yes, it is a form of vampirism in the sense that people who practice vampirism practically make the manipulation of energy their whole practice

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I would interested to know if there is a difference. Consciousness and effort would be a transformative component, but as far as I know, vital energies are a form and component of power. There are also additional kinds more "external", the stars and spirits etc.

I don't know about this distinction of which you speak. Except insomuch as spirits are external, works I have read generally say the opposite. The influences of the stars and planets are also inside the magician.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I think 'power' and 'energy' can be used interchangeably because they are just metaphors describing something numinous that can't be easily put into words and that don't behave as their mundane counterparts in physics, like optical light or electricity.

Some people say that there's energy all around us, you don't need to visit power places, collect unique magical artefacts or siphon it off other people or special occasions (rock concerts often get mentioned in this connection); unlike electricity, it can be generated out of nothing at all. Others say that this isn't true, there are different flavours to different energies (again unlike electricity which is basically neutral).

Maybe a good definition of 'personal power' would be the capacity to manipulate spiritual energy for definite aims, i.e. a purely subjective ability. After all is said and done, it's all semantics.

Here is a link if you want to make your own experiences and test your assumptions:

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve come across people who distinguish vital energy from “power” as they described it.
Really?Usually when I see people talking of vital energy they also speak of it as an energy source for power(as action is dependent on power, we move because we have the power to do so due to the energy flowing through our bodies, so it makes sense that said vital energy also powers up whatever it is they're doing).

A good example of that is Qi or Prana.The energy that powers up your body and helps you be healthier and stronger in body.

Then you have the concept of Mana(and here I speak of the "spiritual energy used in magic", not the mana of Hawaiians which is less about magic and more about personal charisma and ancestral power/status), which is not an energy one couldn't live without(so it isn't "vital energy") but a reservoir of a substance that powers up spells in fictional works.

I don't see how this would be linked to vampirism, but then again I'm no expert in vampirism.But yes, it does seem tom imply the unseen and barely felt energy that links everything in nature, though if that can be said to be a proper energy, a spiritual link, a "being" or even a big unknown that we may never understand, that's a question hard to answer.

After all, personal bias can also colour a person's perception of any subject.To some this will be god givingthem blessing, to others it will be not unlike a kind of entropy.