• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Ouija Board Safety?

Someone's asking for help!

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
One hears a great deal suggesting that the boards are dangerous. Then one runs across some magi (generally self-described Satanists) who downplay the danger. Does anyone have guidelines for (acceptably) safe use? Or is it like fentanyl frappacino and there ain't no safe dose? Specifically, I'm asking people who have used said boards.

Belial

Visitor
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the estimation of Donald Michael Kraig, that the ritual presents a sort of "open invitation" to any "astral fluff" or spirits within your periphery. While not a highly determinate answer, it does explain, in my opinion, the wide spectrum of phenomena associated with Ouija boards from the highly mundane to the inexplicably malicious.

As for circumstances that might allow a magician to control the variables therein; I'm spitballing, but I'd be confident that anything ranging from prayers of invocation, candles or incense of a particular type, energy work of some particular frequency, or good old-fashioned smudging and banishment rituals in the space and time leading up to the seance would noticeably affect your outcome. Truly, anything that sets a meaningful psychic intention going into the experience.

And, of course, that the people you might me doing it with aren't prone to practical joking. :p

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
That's another question. Usually one has more than one person present. A few folks, though, say one can fly solo with the board. Any thoughts?

Aeternus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
That's another question. Usually one has more than one person present. A few folks, though, say one can fly solo with the board. Any thoughts?
Well, I don't think that one person should play with such a thing. It's not a toy so to say.

I for example used this board and if I hadn't had a silver coin around me, I would encounter an even more dangerous situation than the one which exposed me to a malicious spirit.

It is important that the one who uses the Ouija board will have a lot of psychic abilities developed so he / she can make the difference between the real spirit they wanted to initially contact, or if there is a deceiving entity.

Another safety measure is to have willpower in the case of an abusive spirit who wants to not end the seance. Basically you have to push the indicator to the "Goodbye" regardless of any temptations of the abusive spirit to continue the seance. Continuing the seance by the insistence of the abusive spirit will only drain you of energy, and make prone to the spirit's psychological traps.

Oh and don't do seances when you are sick. Being sick will open you to malicious energy in the spiritual world which can further have impact against you (from mild attacks to worse, such as possession in worst cases).

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
There’s a lot I can say about Ouija boards. It’s a bit of a catch in using one with safety measures in place because if they’re working too well, you might not get much out of the board. ¯\(ツ)

Generally I recommend not using them. The risk of something undesirable happening is usually higher than the gains from using one. Which brings me to my question: what is it are you looking to achieve with one?

hint #1: if you don’t have a definitive answer, it’s probably best to just leave them alone.

hint #2: if your answer is anywhere along the lines of “just wanting to check them out or expand your toolset” see hint #1

hint #3: if you do have a definite reason, have done the research, and determined that a Ouija board is the best tool for the job, proceed with caution. If the criteria of hint #3 applies, it means you are probably already proceeding with caution and have done enough sufficient research to use a board effectively without any precautionary setup but are also able to control the situation should you make contact with an undesirable (which will happen given enough use).

Most people (non-mystics) who have Ouija board stories never used it enough to really draw in something truly dangerous (it could happen but that’s extremely rare). Most often they were just spooking themselves. They might make contact with something that’s relatively harmless.

But a mystic, can make proper use of the tool.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I don't have experience with Ouija boards but it seems like something with a lot more potential if people had a bit more imagination. A similar method in China,
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, produced all kind of interesting revealed texts over the centuries.

There's a funny story I read in Terry Kleeman's introduction to A God's Own Tale (his translation of one of these revealed texts attributed to Wen Chang):

A group of students had gathered at a phoenix [spirit writing] altar to ask their fortunes. The phoenix wrote, "Drunkard Zhao has arrived." They all cursed him, saying, "We invited Transcendent Lu. Hpw dare a savage ghost interfere! We are going to request that the great transcendent's sword behead you!" The phoenix halted, then began again, writing, "The Daoist Dongbin happened to be passing by. What do you want to ask?" The students solemnly bowed twice, then asked about their fates in the examination. The phoenix wrote, "Rub more ink." Thereupon each person prepared ink on his inkstone and in a moment they had filled a bowl. Kneeling, they asked how they should use it. The phoenix said, "You students divide it up and drink it, then hear my pronouncement." They all divided the ink and drank it. When they had finished, the phoenix wrote in large characters, "Normally you do not study; now you drink ink at the last moment. I am not Patriarch Lu; I am still Drunkard Zhao!" The students were mortified and destroyed the altar.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for all the replies. I was just looking into other methods of divination. The Ouija seems to offer a high degree specificity, but at the price of apparently being a conduit for just about any entity that cares to put their oar in.

Aeternus

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for all the replies. I was just looking into other methods of divination. The Ouija seems to offer a high degree specificity, but at the price of apparently being a conduit for just about any entity that cares to put their oar in.
No worries. Always here to help.

And, remember, research and asking are the keys to Knowledge