• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Paradigm Switching: What is it?

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
For those in the chaos field, this is a question not of what but of when.
Remember that regardless of what you feel is true, it is. Everything is True.
One day your mind could be changed by the sight of a butterfly, another an impassioned argument made by a person on the street.
Allowing yourself to contain the Real into such tight constraints forces you to ignore the Truth.
Instead, jump from box to box as they sink into the abyss.
:giggle:

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Is this a poem or what? I do agree with the sentiment, though I think most chaotes by definition already do align with this philosophy.

IMHO use whatever tool at your disposal, but refrain from being a perpetual toe dipper.

Reaction score
Awards
I started as a chaos wizard, but I eventually discovered that the practices and ideas behind chaos magic align strongly with the principles of hermeticism, at which point I started moving into that direction. Now I consider myself a hermetic wizard, although personally I think that hermeticism is the end-result of following the chaos magic path, after all; The All is the mind.

Well, the end result is either hermeticism or psychological model, but really the only difference between the two is whether or not external reality and internal reality can be correlated and directly influenced.

Khoren_

Practical Philosopher
Reaction score
Awards
I started as a chaos wizard, but I eventually discovered that the practices and ideas behind chaos magic align strongly with the principles of hermeticism, at which point I started moving into that direction. Now I consider myself a hermetic wizard, although personally I think that hermeticism is the end-result of following the chaos magic path, after all; The All is the mind.

Well, the end result is either hermeticism or psychological model, but really the only difference between the two is whether or not external reality and internal reality can be correlated and directly influenced.

I started with hermetics, alchemy, and found Chaos Magic after that. I never adhered to the "psychological" model in the traditional sense. Sure, it is a method to achieve personal and psychological results to deal with anxiety, trauma, or other disorders, but I have seen tangible results from magic, and it is very much a social thing as well.

Given that I am a staunch materialist, switching paradigms is very much exploring which lenses, which paradigms, work in the materialist sense. By "switching" you find out which segments works, which were added for flavor, which don't, and which were added for social control. Sometimes some traditions in a certain line only persists because people don't dare ask why.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Is this a poem or what? I do agree with the sentiment, though I think most chaotes by definition already do align with this philosophy.

IMHO use whatever tool at your disposal, but refrain from being a perpetual toe dipper.
Yup we have a saying.. “If nothing is True, then Everything is Permitted” ^ I think Khor was highlighting that with a visual of what that looks like as it is a cornerstone in the teachings.
Also with the Abyss aspect, we use what we need and discard the rest or “let it sink into the abyss” sort to speak.