• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book – PDF Peter Hamilton-Giles - The Afflicted Mirror

Share a PDF of a book.

Milton

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
AF-562x857.jpg

A shared feature of genuine magical practice and religious experience is the impression of ‘Otherness’, an entic arena of alienation and unfamiliarity. Contrasted with the more comfortable and known spheres of the Self, this ‘state apart’ provides not only inspiration and wonder, it is the dwelling-place of the gods and the prime source of gnosis, direct experience with the divine.

The Afflicted Mirror, based on a research paper presented at the 1996 AAA Anthropology of Religion inaugural conference in Kansas, suggests that for the metaphysical domain to become significant it must distort its appearance so as to attract our attention. This leads not only to validating the existence of the ‘Other’ but also illustrates its influence on how we shape the world. Providing groundbreaking insight on the magician’s actuated relationship with spirits and Gods, The Afflicted Mirror offers a pioneering examination of a topic often overlooked by scholars. As an original phenomenological model, Peter Hamilton-Giles’ The Afflicted Mirror unites such diverse spiritual states as the mysticism of the Seer, the religious ecstasy of the Saint, and the spirit-conjurations of the sorcerer.

Measuring the connectivity between the visible and invisible, by using physicality as a signifier, brings another aspect to the fore. There appears to be good reason to believe there is a ratio in physical difference when it comes to observing how the metaphysical manifests partial presences. Exponential distortions correspond to how we retain a level of contact with the Other. When these abnormalities become exaggerated they prompt greater emotive responses, such as fear. By expressing an Otherness in this manner their difference takes on a terrifying dimension which also indicates power

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Any other books of a same author, please?
Please make a separate request for a specific book in Book Requests to let others know about it as well, others who might have the books you're looking for will most likely overlook any comment you make here.

Dayonisos

Apprentice
Reaction score
butPlease make a separate request for a specific book in Book Requests to let others know about it as well, others who might have the books you're looking for will most likely overlook any comment you make here.
I already did it previously, but you banned a request. I don't know which kind of books you means on "rare". This book is also " rare",but it's founded.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I already did it previously, but you banned a request. I don't know which kind of books you means on "rare". This book is also " rare",but it's founded.
Book Request Rule No. 5: "The request must reasonably be able to be fulfilled (don't ask for super rare books that are not digitized and obviously no one has access to them)". So if a book is published only by a niche publisher in hardcover (and not even with an ebook option) and not by a major retailer, I'd consider it 'rare' and decline the request. However, this doesn't mean that no one is allowed to fulifll that request. Such rare books do turn up once in a while (I posted such a book only today), and sometimes members would even scan/photograph their own rare books. This means that requests for rare books aren't 'banned', as you put it, declining them just means that it's pretty much pointless to search high and low for them, in our opinion.

Anyway, making a request in Book Shares is a rule violation, you might be put on Probation if you continue to act like that.