• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Potpourri: A Low-Budget, Fun and Customizable Substitute for Incense

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I personally happen to live in a place that doesn't allow you to burn things like incense. Seeing as this is a popular and useful addition to workings of all kinds, here's a good workaround for anybody else stuck in the same predicament. Or even just do it for fun, because it's bitch easy and cheap to make yourself. Unlike incense...

So what you're gonna need first, is vaguely some sort of open container. It can be a jar, bowl, box or any number of things. But the more shallow and open it is from the top, the better.

Then what you're gonna do is figure out what base ingredients you'd like to add. Obviously if this is for a spell, do it according to correspondence. Your ingredients can add smell to the potpourri, just substance itself, or even just a nice appearance. Leaves and flowers, bark, spices like cinnamon or clove, dried orange peels, or even stuff like dried moss are great candidates. Traditionally these would all be dried items, but I often like to throw in fresh plant material and let them dry while on the bowl.

Once you've got the "solid" layer down, get some sort of essential oil(s) to add. Doesn't have to be fancy. I've gotten my shit from the dollar store before and it's worked just fine. Once you've selected an oil to add, put a slightly generous sprinkling of drops all over the bowl of solid material. For best results, there are items called fixatives that you can include to help these oils linger in the bowl for as long as possible. I use oakmoss grabbed from random trees in the woods for this.

You should quickly start to find the smell of these items recognizable, once the oil is put down. Once it is, kick back and enjoy! As air circulates, it should begin to permeate the room. Feel free to enchant the potpourri for any sort of purpose you want, or just have it as a nice luxury in and of itself.

For an example, posted here is a picture of a bowl I did with basil and lavender. I put a dried mini rose from the plant outside in there too, though it's only there to look good.

JtbFzk3.jpeg