• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book – PDF Private Diary of Dr. John Dee - ed. James Orchard Halliwell

Share a PDF of a book.

MofoMojo

Neophyte
Reaction score
I didn't see a copy of this posted here, but I did find a copy in the old archives. This is a different scan, a pretty good, clear facsimile of the original book without any markings and better readability as well as OCR so it's got some things going for it.

30314632905.jpg

Edited by James Orchard Halliwell
Tags Biography & Autobiography, Body; Mind & Spirit, Diaries & Journals, General, Historical, Letters, Literary Collections, Occultism
Formats PDF

The Private Diary of Dr. John Dee and the Catalogue of His Library of Alchemical Manuscripts is a book written by James Orchard Halliwell. The book is a collection of the private diary of Dr. John Dee, an English mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, and occult philosopher who lived in the 16th century. The diary contains entries written by Dee himself, detailing his experiments, observations, and conversations with angels and spirits.
In addition to the diary, the book also includes a catalogue of Dee's library of alchemical manuscripts, which was one of the largest collections of its kind at the time. The catalogue provides a detailed description of each manuscript, including its title, author, and subject matter.
The book is a valuable resource for anyone interested in the history of alchemy, magic, and the occult sciences. It provides insight into the mind and work of one of the most influential figures in the field, and sheds light on the practices and beliefs of the occult community in 16th century England.

This scarce antiquarian book is a facsimile reprint of the old original and may contain some imperfections such as library marks and notations. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment for protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature in affordable, high quality, modern editions, that are true to their original work.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've got the physical book, but thank you for posting this.
Dee does not get anything close to the recognition he dererves, and it is going to be his quincentenary in 2027, but can I find anybody in London willing to mark the occasion? Can I hell.

I'd like to correct your post though. The Private Diary of Dr. John Dee and the Catalogue of His Library of Alchemical Manuscripts is a book written by James Orchard Halliwell. The book is a collection of the private diary of Dr. John Dee, an English mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, and occult philosopher who lived in the 16th century. The diary contains entries written by Dee himself, detailing his experiments, observations, and conversations with angels and spirits.
In addition to the diary, the book also includes a catalogue of Dee's library of alchemical manuscripts, which was one of the largest collections of its kind at the time. The catalogue provides a detailed description of each manuscript, including its title, author, and subject matter.

The above is simply not correct, however. Dee had some alcemical books, but not that many - his library in general ran to over 3,000 books & 1,000 manuscripts, often irreplaceable as he was a collector of ancient manuscripts and it is thanks to Dee we still have some books that had otherwise disappeared. Dee was never a practising Alchemist. This has mainly spread as a 'fact' because of a dodgy manuscript that has been printed in book form & had Dee's name added to it as Author when at the very most it may have been in his manuscript collection (The Rosie Crucian Secrets) and also 'Grimoirium Verum' has been incorrectly attributed to Dee's authorship (probably in order to blacken his name, which was done on a regular basis in his time and sad to say ever since too)

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Please don't discuss the content of books here, it's a Rule violation. Instead you can open a thread in Book Discussion and Reviews.
Post automatically merged:

I've got the physical book, but thank you for posting this.
Dee does not get anything close to the recognition he dererves, and it is going to be his quincentenary in 2027, but can I find anybody in London willing to mark the occasion? Can I hell.

I'd like to correct your post though. The Private Diary of Dr. John Dee and the Catalogue of His Library of Alchemical Manuscripts is a book written by James Orchard Halliwell. The book is a collection of the private diary of Dr. John Dee, an English mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, and occult philosopher who lived in the 16th century. The diary contains entries written by Dee himself, detailing his experiments, observations, and conversations with angels and spirits.

The above is simply not correct, however. Dee had some alcemical books, but not that many - his library in general ran to over 3,000 books & 1,000 manuscripts, often irreplaceable as he was a collector of ancient manuscripts and it is thanks to Dee we still have some books that had otherwise disappeared. Dee was never a practising Alchemist. This has mainly spread as a 'fact' because of a dodgy manuscript that has been printed in book form & had Dee's name added to it as Author when at the very most it may have been in his manuscript collection (The Rosie Crucian Secrets) and also 'Grimoirium Verum' has been incorrectly attributed to Dee's authorship (probably in order to blacken his name, which was done on a regular basis in his time and sad to say ever since too)
Please don't discuss the content of books here, it's a Rule violation. Instead you can open a thread in Book Discussion and Reviews where more people will read your opinion than here in an isolated Book Share thread.

neilwilkes

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I didn't discuss the content of the book - I was talking about the OP's description.

tranmut3

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
John Dee is amazing, thanks for posting.