• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

proverbs and saying

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
as a kid i got a proverbs and sayings book for my birthday and i loved it, what do i say i LOVED it. so many fun ways of saying thing under the table, later in life i found out how occult my dad actually was and what a great story he gave me tru all the books he bought for me. ❤️
i dont know which ones are place bound and which ones are more known, so i thought why not share some with each other, with an official and a personal creative explanation and counter in the next post with an other saying or proverb that pops in your mind. like this:

what the farmer doesnt know, he doesnt eat.
offical:
which means: what people fear, they dont like
personal and creative:
closed heart flow
hard headed
fear of the occult
but also:
loner
protective
homelife first
secretive
duality
Post automatically merged:

as a next post one can of course also be visual or give a link to sound by vid or other.
in love and war anything goes.
a situation in which people do not follow the usual rules of behavior and do things that are normally considered unfair.

or of course pics of your altar, cards,nature, etc. what i mean is be creative. im good at mc gyvering so that what im doing.

Last edited:

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
My dad passed along a lot of little sayings as well, and I realize now how valuable that wisdom is, especially to hear it as young as I was.

He would always tell me about a saying his own father used
“This too, shall pass”
Nothing is permanent. Everything ends. And that isn’t a sad thing, but a beautiful, peaceful, and restful truth. You can be as free as you like, because it doesn’t matter

There was another story he told me, this one from an old western book or movie. The main character is in jail for something and he mentions how the stew they were fed every day had only a couple small scraps of meat in it, but he was grateful for every piece.

That one means you’re more fortunate than you think, and it can make a great antidote for the poison of excess in a consumer society.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I got one of these books recently maybe it's the same as yours Lou. A lot of Dutch expressions that i never heard before. The Dutch version of Ancient's of course is "wie het kleine niet eert, is het grote niet weerd" (one who doesn't appreciate the smaller isn't worthy of the larger things)

One of my favorites is "met het verkeerde been uit bed stappen" (getting off on the wrong foot). The Dutch means to have bad luck or a bad mood that day.
I read in a book on Persian myths and folklore that they believed that every journey has to start with your right foot (as opposed to the left one) for it to be a success.
Linking this with the Dutch version: every day you get out of bed, with your first step you start a journey. In the English, everyone you meet is a fellow traveler on your journey.

Reaction score
Awards
Love this one I read and picked up from Hoodoo Herbal:
"A hard head makes for a soft behind".
In the past we used to be spanked, whipped, or even beat.
Sounds bad, but the punishment fits the crime.
It means basically for me, that I am too stubborn for my own good. So therefore, my rear is raw due to me being hard-headed.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
here in the netherlands we have something that is not really a saying or proverb, but it should be imo. when the winter is almost over and everyone is getting grumpy from the grey weather and the rain, we, well the man and at least 1 female (me), pray for something thats called rokjes dag. the translation is skirtday. its the first day of the year the sun shines and its hot enough to put on a skirt and show some naked leg.

for me it means the escape from winter depression into the freedom of more nakedness and smiles. its what people call the the beginning of spring, easter, imbolc, rebirth, etc

today i woke up with the feeling of grass working its way tru the cracks of stones in my street and it reminded me that yes i have been waiting for something: spring. (dutch for jump, aint we occult ;) )

Reaction score
Awards
There is an esoteric saying "Light a Candle, Curse The Darkness", which means when sink or swim has you sinking in quicksand water, light a candle and invoke the higher to prevent the snare of the darkness.

Inn my case as of yesterday, it is synonymous with "Light A Candle, Curse Your Workplace". Abuse of Power and Cowardice.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I was walking to the supermarket just now, and as I passed two girls one said "als je het over de duivel hebt.."
They weren't talking about me I think because I didn't know them, but it's another fun Dutch saying:

"Als je het over de duivel hebt, trap je op zijn staart"
(If you speak of the devil, you'll step on his tail : when you are talking / thinking about someone and then immediately run into them)

@8Lou1 were you mini rocking a skirt today?

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
yeah mini skirting is fun. ;) rocking it too btw....
it made me feel like a fish in water aka at home. strange cause i cried today and i felt myself being death. the death reside under the sweet waters in a realm with salt water. how it works idk, but ive been there several times now and its the coolest place. so lets hope for a hot summer with lots of rocking skirts.
i might even teach that wolf to howl at the sun.....

Last edited:

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
beter een goede buur dan een verre vriend: better a good neighbor then a friend a far.
it means what it says, but with the SPIEL in mind, it has also to do with as within as without and in the remote viewers lane with from where one hails and since i like the uefa cup and the baseball leaue (ok also rugby for the ones in down under and polo for those crazy indian gurus) it is also about a friendly game of throwing 'some' up and around...

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve been enjoying a false spring here with warm weather, but next week it’s back to the -20’s. In keeping with the theme of springtime and miniskirts, here’s one from Norway: “Det finnes ikke darlig vær, bare darlig klær.” It translates as “There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.”

It means it is better to be prepared than to complain. Do not blame the circumstances, find a way to make them work for you.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
this morning some sad news came to me. some gentlemens galore has died into the dark abysmal paths of zeta forms of genders. the beast that is called djallal has made it so that now even women can open the door for others and are created as reminders that YES, WE CAN! by the people, for the people, gender neutral way openers.

so instead of a someone holding the door open for you as an act of kindness, we now have a world wide system called de morgenstond heeft goud in de mond aka its a bit old dutch so bare with me: standing tall/ waking up in the morning has gold in its saying/mouth/ golden teeth/ radiant power.

in islam its said the morning prayer is so because we DONT pray to the sun, somehow over the years an extra optional prayer slipped in and now some do pray on that time. who knew...

so to mourn the death of a way we have an other saying: van de doden niets dan goeds, nothing, but good from the death.
and i think thats a lovely gender neutral wayopener.