• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Psalm 50

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy kindness: According to the abundance of thy mercies, blot out my transgressions. Wash me thorughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done what is evil in thy sight: So that You are justified when You speak, And blameless when You judge. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being, And in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy kindness: According to the abundance of thy mercies, blot out my transgressions.

You can use this in your practice. I think they're singing it in Aramaic.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Note that this is Psalm 50 according to the Septuagint numbering, which is standard in orthodox churches. Western Christians know this as Psalm 51.

Trio Mandili is a Georgian group but there is a church in Georgia that conducts services in Aramaic, and I wonder if some of their settings have entered the general Georgian Orthodox repertoire. In terms of music this sounds to me more like Byzantine chant than the Georgian three-part harmony which is an amazing and unique tradition in its own right.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Note that this is Psalm 50 according to the Septuagint numbering, which is standard in orthodox churches. Western Christians know this as Psalm 51.

Trio Mandili is a Georgian group but there is a church in Georgia that conducts services in Aramaic, and I wonder if some of their settings have entered the general Georgian Orthodox repertoire. In terms of music this sounds to me more like Byzantine chant than the Georgian three-part harmony which is an amazing and unique tradition in its own right.
You just turned me on to Trio Mandili: great discovery.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
it might sound a bit stupid, but for me it helps becoming more positive:
50 you know youre half way
51 you know you passed the border and all is going upwards again.

may allah have mercy upon us all.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
That was beautiful :) More of these!

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
You just turned me on to Trio Mandili: great discovery.

If you like them, there's a lot of fantastic Georgian folk groups operating. I like Sakhioba Ensemble as well as the Gogochurebi sisters
Post automatically merged:

There are a lot of recordings of the ecclesiastic chanting too, but they're often smoothed out for a modern western musical sensibility, so that they sound kind of like an a cappella Enya. For example,
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
appears to be very popular (you can also hear it at the end of Sergei Parajanov's wonderful film The Color of Pomegranates, though that is set in Armenia)

Don't get me wrong, it's really gorgeous. But I also appreciate recordings of Georgian chant where the weird edges aren't filed down like this one:

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Mount Athos monasticism singing the same chant in their tongue.

Here's a lovely version of the same setting but in Romanian (from Putna monastery):

For those wondering, the "neeee" heard at the beginning is an intonation in Byzantine chant, usually done by the lead cantor, to tune the choir according to whichever tone the hymn is in. An older way to do this, which some cantors still do, is to use the classic Greek names for the eight tones, each of which has its own simple melody as a mnemonic device. For instance you can hear the cantor in this one begin with "ananes" which is the Greek intonation for the first tone, though the hymn itself is sung here in Arabic: