• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] random recipes for basic stuff you need at home (Detergent Powder) like really detergent powder for washing you clothes

Informative post.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hey guys,

Figured given the whole world is turning to shit cuz of the pandemic, being hygienic and clean is a big thing so I'm going to put in some quick guides on how to make some store grade household suppliers from powdered detergents up to shampoos, shampoo bars, soaps, bath bombs etc.

Note: this is actually something I do for a living as one of my businesses is a B2B OEM manufacturer of household items haha. So here the recipe.

So to make powdered detergent, the things you will need are:

1. Sodium Sulfate - this is actually just a derivative of salt but this makes up more than 70% of all powdered detergents and acts as a surfactant.
2. Sodium Bicarbonate (also known as soda ash) - this acts just like another surfactant and also helps in the cleaning action of the soap
3. linear alkylbenzene sulfonate or LABS - this an mild acid that helps break down stains in clothes it also helps generate bubble which make most moms happy for some reason (PROTIP: bubbles have nothing to do with cleaning action but moms swear by it)
4. coco fatty alcohol sulfate (CFAS) - this is really a foamer more than anything but it also stabilizes the lather that shows up in the final product
5. De ionized water - you will only need a little of it, it helps stabilize the acidity of the LABS just a bit to make it less damaging to the skin in cases that you hand wash clothes (this is basically filtered and distilled water, the less impurities the better)
6. And fragrance scent of your choosing - really its up to you. if you wanna use dragons blood or whatever mystical scent you want to smell like occult goodness hahaha. normally i just use lavender or any spring fresh scents like mountain fresh.

The base formula and procedure:

70% Sodium Sulfate
18% Soda Ash
4% LABS
4% CFAS
3% DI water
1% scent/fragrance oil to your taste

1st Powder Phase

This is literally like mixing cement, you start with mixing the Sulfate and the Soda ash together in a container and mix well. All of these ingredients are inert so you wont need to worry about any adverse chemical reactions. Those will come up in subsequent guides I will make specially with bleach as making bleach from scratch can easily go sideways especially when working with Sodium Hydroxide and Chlorine hahaha.
Anyway once the power mixture is fully blended set this aside. It might also be necessary to strain the Soda ash as sometimes it comes with lumps of clumped together powder that wont dissolve in water.

Liquid Phase

Mix the LABS, Water, and Fragrance Oil in a separate container starting with the LABS as the first liquid you pour in, followed by the water and stir well with a wooded spatula and let sit. mixing water with a acid in general will induce a mild reaction but in this case the worst it will do is produce some heat, mix the fragrance oil in last.

Blending Phase

Pour the liquid mixture of LABS, water, and fragrance oil slowly into the powder mix and mix well. Make sure everything is evenly mixed and finally add in the CFAS while mixing till the whole thing is well blended. You can actually use your hands here as the acid in the LABS is mostly neutralized by now or at least diluted enough that it wont harm you. But if you want you can also wear gloves.

Place the final mixture in the tub and use as needed :)

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
This is great info! I'm trying to figure out if we could move this to one of the informative sections, or if none suit it, whether we should create one that would fit threads like this!

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
This is great info! I'm trying to figure out if we could move this to one of the informative sections, or if none suit it, whether we should create one that would fit threads like this!
Thank you! I got a ton more formulations like this in case it becomes a topic of interest for people. :).

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you! I got a ton more formulations like this in case it becomes a topic of interest for people. :).
Awesome, personally I've always been interested in stuff like this, especially archiving the info and keeping it on hand, in case a situation (whether it's global apocalypse, supply chain shortage or just personal struggles) comes along where I would need to create these concoctions myself.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Awesome, personally I've always been interested in stuff like this, especially archiving the info and keeping it on hand, in case a situation (whether it's global apocalypse, supply chain shortage or just personal struggles) comes along where I would need to create these concoctions myself.
alright, ill prepare some more posts. I make a bunch of different house hold stuff from soaps to even vape juices as they all require the same permits in my country haha.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I really want to make my own vape juice, and I tried to some years back, however importing nicotine concentrate is impossible without a license, where I live.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I really want to make my own vape juice, and I tried to some years back, however importing nicotine concentrate is impossible without a license, where I live.
I can F around in my lab and see if I can find a method of extracting nic salt from tobacco leaves haha. im sure it'' require a solvent or two haha

QueenJazz

Archivist
Archivist
Reaction score
Awards
So when are you going to post the tutorial? I’m waiting haha.
At the start of the pandemic I was actually thinking about starting my own vape juice line. I don’t like the ones currently available there’s only three I like they’re good but not amazing.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
So when are you going to post the tutorial? I’m waiting haha.
At the start of the pandemic I was actually thinking about starting my own vape juice line. I don’t like the ones currently available there’s only three I like they’re good but not amazing.
i posted a quick recipe already i can more in-depth tho but its really not that difficult to do haha

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Bruh, USEFUL! Where would I go about procuring some of this, though? Just wherever you get normal lab chemicals?

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Bruh, USEFUL! Where would I go about procuring some of this, though? Just wherever you get normal lab chemicals?
Thanks!, I cant say for your area, but usually there will be one or two suppliers that do wholesale selling if this stuff even online.

I would suggest tho for anyone that wants to try this, look for suppliers that are willing to sell on a per kilo basis first so you can experiment. Its slightly more pricey but for practice purposes its much more convenient rather than shelling out money for a 25 kilos sack of sulfate hahaha.

Offhand so you guys have a rough idea on how much some of these ingredients aught to cost.

here in my country if I convert to USD

Sodium Sulfate is about 0.02 USD per kilo
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda but pure) about 50 cents a kilo
LABS is about a 1.60 USD per kilo
CFAS is about 3 dollars a kilo
Fragrance scents are about 30 dollars a liter

overall a kilo of blended powdered detergent will really just cost about 0.60 USD if you look at the formulation I gave you above.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks!, I cant say for your area, but usually there will be one or two suppliers that do wholesale selling if this stuff even online.

I would suggest tho for anyone that wants to try this, look for suppliers that are willing to sell on a per kilo basis first so you can experiment. Its slightly more pricey but for practice purposes its much more convenient rather than shelling out money for a 25 kilos sack of sulfate hahaha.

Offhand so you guys have a rough idea on how much some of these ingredients aught to cost.

here in my country if I convert to USD

Sodium Sulfate is about 0.02 USD per kilo
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda but pure) about 50 cents a kilo
LABS is about a 1.60 USD per kilo
CFAS is about 3 dollars a kilo
Fragrance scents are about 30 dollars a liter

overall a kilo of blended powdered detergent will really just cost about 0.60 USD if you look at the formulation I gave you above.
Shite, that’s actually stupid cheap.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
i even rounded up lolz
I feel fucking cheated on a personal level now, because detergent brands must be charging an absolutely ludicrous amount for their shit. Especially since they’re probably able to get supplies for even cheaper and streamline things. Talk about one of those odd industries that could get you rich. XD