• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Revisiting the Arbatel's grimoire through the Olympic spirits.

Everyone's got one.

Omee

Neophyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards

(Cross Post from my Blog)
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I just wanted to preface this before the actual content of the blog with saying that I am actually interested in hearing how people worked with the arbatel themselves, and if they have other ways they worked with the arbatel that they think is more productive/fruitful than what's being represented here is my own work on it and it's not as studied nor as deep as what other people did. Happy to learn from people and their experiences. :)

If you ask the spirits to help you with physical and material ends, don’t forget to give thanksgiving and to take it slowly because if you are not careful, you will be overwhelmed by the gift of spirits, and it will throw you off balance of your actual purpose in this world, therefore give thanks for the blessings but don’t forget to ask for wisdom. Amen. ✡️

The Doors to Arbatel​

Welp not exactly a secret, but the idea of focusing generally on the arbatel’s olympic spirit would cut off the rest of the grimoire. What if the Olympic spirits were approached to explain the rest of the grimoire? that sounds like a healthier approach to it than relying only one part of the grimoire then substituting every other parts of it. It really makes you wonder if you just take just one part of a car’s engine like the spark plug you can’t just throw any random spark plug and hope that the car will give you the same mileage as the one made for your car’s engine. This post is mainly condensed version of some of my understanding of Arbatel that I will hopefully come back to it!

I want to note before going deeper into this that there’s something important in regard to

Point on Aphorims​

1)The spirit names was revealed under Bethor’s Aphorism

2) the spirit seals (Aphor. 17) AND their secrets( Aphor. 24) were revealed under Phaleg’s Influence.

3) All Practical aspects of the arbatel were revealed under Phul’s influence.

4) Aphor. 5, 12, 26 orient our attitude and heart to how we approach the spirits (Hagith, love, venus, attitude)

5) seal of secrets is revealed by Ophiel/Mercury , which also connect to mystery of evocation of old time to the Sibyls and chief Priests

6) The Seven bible Quotes that are in a sense the “heart” of the Och’s apperance in the arbatel, The Sun of Sun in a way.

7) Aphorism 25 and 26 implicitly mentions a chain of commands to be used to invoke the power, either through the divine scripture kept in one’s heart which leads to a more natural manifestation or Aphor. 26 which name-drop some persons to be invoked/prayed to to create the spiritual connection. Of course effort and praying to guardian angel is emphasized in one aspect.
I honestly enjoy having the work with the arbatel as a dialogue between me, the spirits, and the book itself. It tend to have a more receptive influence to it, and where the clarity of the book slowly start unveiling without forcing a specific method in and of itself for the spirits to manifest themselves.
There’s honestly more to the grimoire than it meets the eye and I would honestly recommend people to work with each Olympic and ask them to explain every aphorism related to them, see what they say, what’s on their mind, what’s on your mind, and talk about that Aphorism with them.

Lastly I think the whole heart or the seal of secrets in Aphorism 27 is more closer to the secrets of the Quincunx/Chi Letter, and one can get very technical about it by saying 7 olympic spirits revealing 4 level of “secrets” in each day, through four weeks would lead to 112 divided part of that seal of secrets. For me I see the seal of secrets as a guideline for how to work with the spirit regardless of the initial contact with proper planetary timing, you should seek to make that seal of secret yourself, ask the spirits themselves, be inspired, dream about it, and try to see how to apply it in a ritual, in a spellwork, or even in the shape/table cloth of the altar, maybe there’s more to it in that regard!

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
This sounds interesting. It's not exactly what I practice myself, but sounds fascinating. It inspired me to download Robert Turner's translation of the Arbatel. Is that a reliable translation?

Omee

Neophyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
This sounds interesting. It's not exactly what I practice myself, but sounds fascinating. It inspired me to download Robert Turner's translation of the Arbatel. Is that a reliable translation?
I personally use the translation from esotericharchives here:
. I do have a personal file where I have reorganized the aphorisms horizontally instead of vertically per the original grimoire to give a different "view" of the grimoire's structure and how it speaks in a way. here

I definitely encourage like approaching it as it is and not complicating the approach itself. I remember Aphorism 36 and honestly it is a pretty good measure on how to approach and how the spirits themselves sounds like:
Care is to be taken, that experiments be not mixed with experiments; but that every one be onely simple and several: for God and Nature have ordained all things to a certain and appointed end: so that for examples sake, they who perform cures with the most simple herbs and roots, do cure the most happily of all. And in this manner, in Constellations, Words and Characters, Stones, and such like, do lie hid the greatest influences or vertues in deed, which are in stead of a miracle.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I tried it on multiple occassions before I had the ability to see anything. If I got anything out of it, I wouldn't be able to connect it to the work.

Omee

Neophyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I tried it on multiple occassions before I had the ability to see anything. If I got anything out of it, I wouldn't be able to connect it to the work.

If I remember correctly the book is a bit harder to figure out how to work with it properly at the start, but it is that slow alignment toward it. Personally I had experiences I would keep saying "show me a sign please please" "show me a sign if you're a here" and there would be a sign where the flame of the candle would contract on the wick or the flame would shine very thinly and other times I would see a thin of oil? on top of the water I offered to them.

I personally recommend working with Phul if you want the method to become more potent, there's an aspect to working with Phul in giving more weight to the method already outlined. I did contact
for advice/recommendations on working with the Arbatel itself and I don't know if this conjuration record deserve another post :oops: but I would post it here:

1)Me: What's your recommendation for someone starting on the path of your current or generally in magic?
Phaleg: Let the cross be their guide, no the Christ cross per se but the equal armed cross. As long as they keep their practice in moderation and neither in excessiveness it will start to bear fruit, the cross is both a guide and a measure for yourself as for other, keep it as a mental tool, a spiritual principle, and within you.
2)Me: What's you recommendation for someone starting Arbatel
Phaleg: Little everyday is better than a lot someday, better to approach the spirits consistently with daily prayers and some minor encounters instead of trying to enter into the end-all be-all of conjuration but end up disappointed. A humble approach goes further than trying to break mountains.
3) ( no question asked )
Phaleg: A glass of water added to the contact or any magical working helps "cool it" when everyone is stuck in their head and everything is on fire having that coolness or aspect of water in their work both nourish and cool the spirit and themselves. Be receptive and relaxed and may the Lord of peace himself give you peace.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you sir, but I never do anything subtle. Come back if you tell me how to pump my body so full of energy that I shit lightning, but can still get a good night sleep.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you sir, but I never do anything subtle. Come back if you tell me how to pump my body so full of energy that I shit lightning, but can still get a good night sleep.
Why did you feel the need to reply to this thread?

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Why did you feel the need to reply to this thread?
He might be able to tell me how to shit lightning. You don't know if you don't try.

nOW, I myself may not know why I replied to this thread, but it does make sense to inquire him on multiple levels.
I assure you, it is very logical to inquisit him. If he is generous, he may come back and tell us how to shit lightning.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
nOW, I may myself may not know why I replied to this thread,
Great way to live your life. Stop polluting this thread. Verbal warning.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Very cordial. I request Omee also come to the energy forum if he knows about that.
You could remove these posts if you like, and I'll post that, if that sounds good.

Omee

Neophyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Bit bewildered by this, if you don't mind me asking. Are you saying that you want a less subtle approach to Arbatel?

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Warned
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
hearing how people worked with the arbatel themselves,
I have always, regrettably. treated Arbatel as somewhat peripheral, and this is probably because I am heavily delinquent in Aphorism 6, my curiosity being somewhat also in violation of the Chaldean Oracles's warning against becoming "scattered". This seems interesting in light of the answer to your query to Phaleg:

"Phaleg: Little everyday is better than a lot someday, better to approach the spirits consistently with daily prayers and some minor encounters instead of trying to enter into the end-all be-all of conjuration but end up disappointed. A humble approach goes further than trying to break mountains."

This is very strategic for a spirit of Mars (as "Prince of peace"), which according to my pinup (from Whitcomb) is associated with the Greek God Ares, who is not known for strategy. But the Oracles admonish us that "every god is good", and that we should sober up in this regard. In terms of the nature of celestial forces, I have no problem siding with Plotinus.

But I also have a terrible time with #36 "Care is to be taken, that experiments be not mixed with experiments", and this is probably due to the positional relation of my Sagittarius and the 9th House.

Aphorism 15, however, has long served as a sort of philosophical guide with regards to my general understanding and approach to the operations of magic. That is, in particular: "It is God alone who giveth power to affect it." The astrological position embedded in #15 is of particular interest to me. That is, in this case, God is seen as cause and the lower spheres do His will according to Plan as opposed to the celestial bodies (and their spirits) being causes in themselves, or just signifiers - it's a very old debate. Still, I like to give some place to Al-Kindi's "radiation" as an explanation (as just perspective) for some causes, which calls for adaptation on many levels, even day to day - the weather being a good analogy. Though I do not think this is an issue of primal causes so much as distortions in the world of representation affected by hylic forces. Of course, there is paradox(es) in there - there always is.

I have at least constructed a sigil for Och, and used other sigils in my creative works. I have not had any recordable conversations with Och as yet, but I do note that the spirit plays a role in one of Dee's early scrying sessions. I do not have the time I need to dig for this reference, but I hope to find it again. If your interested in that connect I can post it here when I do.

I have found some additional sigils for some the Olympic spirits in Skinner's Veritable Key of Solomon, where, for some reason they are printed backwards in the original manuscript of which his book is based.

the whole heart or the seal of secrets in Aphorism 27 is more closer to the secrets of the Quincunx/Chi Letter
I remember Majercik's discussion of this, and am pretty sure there is an Oracle for Chi, but I can't seem to find it at this time. Do you have page numbers in the CO for any of this?

What if the Olympic spirits were approached to explain the rest of the grimoire?
This is an approach I have been taught by spirits of another grimoire which I find also applicable to other grimoires.

If you are interested in another possible connect to Dee, you might want to compare Aphorism 27 with Dee's Monas Hieroglyphica and it's Theorems discussing the various attributes of the Cross portion of the Monad. It's something I intend to look deeper into, particularly in relation to the Helenistic Thema Mundi, which tickles my mind when looking at diagram you posted above from Peterson.

Last edited:

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Bit bewildered by this, if you don't mind me asking. Are you saying that you want a less subtle approach to Arbatel?
I requested you also discuss energy work in the energy forum, if you have an energy system.

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I requested you also discuss energy work in the energy forum, if you have an energy system.
I can't speak for others, but I myself am not too badly traumatized by the thread appearing here. OP's stated purpose was to read the Arbatel in light of the Olympic spirits. The energy issues are not exactly central to that topic. A good many threads can logically be posted under any of several headings. Moral? "Let sleeping moderators lie." If they have no issues, we have no issues.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I can't speak for others, but I myself am not too badly traumatized by the thread appearing here.
Arbatel didn't seem a dangerous system to me. I only put the request in because he is an experienced occultist. I hoped he might have insights in other fields. He's an old-time occultist but I've never seen anyone ask him about his energy work.

Omee

Neophyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I remember Majercik's discussion of this, and am pretty sure there is an Oracle for Chi, but I can't seem to find it at this time. Do you have page numbers in the CO for any of this?

Yes! Chaldean Oracle Fragment 95, in Majercik's book it is going to be at page 86-87:

This character (sc. the letter Chi χ ), which belongs to the essence of souls, “…is placed in the heart ’ as the property of every soul…these…are (the doctrines) of the theurgists and gods when they are describing unknown things (Chaldean Oracle Fragment 95)

and page 177-178 for the commentary:
According to Plato {Tim., 36 b-d), the World Soul had the shape of a Chi (χ), the axes of which were bent and joined together to form semi-circles. In Chaldean thought—since particular souls were patterned on the World Soul—they, too, had the same configuration. In the context of Proclus,
knowledge of this “character had magical significance, permitting the theurgist to invoke the souls of certain heroes (e.g., Heracles, Pentheus) and even Plato himself.

I did write about it, made some holy oil with it, connection to Hyatt's 5 volumes of hoodoo about Quincunx, and psalm 23. (
), I personally hope that the moderators don't feel that this excessive linking to my own blog but I didn't want to go on a tangent about the Quincunx's outside of it's connection to the Arbatel without it becoming it's own thing haha.

If you are interested in another possible connect to Dee, you might want to compare Aphorism 27 with Dee's Monas Hieroglyphica and it's Theorems discussing the various attributes of the Cross portion of the Monad.
Thank you I will be looking into that! if you do have any insight you would share about it then I would be interested in hearing it honestly!

I have not had any recordable conversations with Och as yet, but I do note that the spirit plays a role in one of Dee's early scrying sessions. I do not have the time I need to dig for this reference, but I hope to find it again. If your interested in that connect I can post it here when I do.

John Dee's Five Books Of Mystery? Pretty interesting that Och is seen to be the angel of Dee's "direction" or purpose in life!

A: Then he willed me very egerly, to drive them away. And I prayed fervently. And there seamed One to come into the stone, which had very long armes: and he draue them away courragiously: And so they were driuen away. After that presently, cam one into the stone, all white. Salami an reached this white one a Cup. The white manheld-up the Cup: and sayd, as followeth,

Lo, this is my name.

God shall bless you. Fear not: your faithfiillness provoketh me to tell my name, and this it is:

(putting furth the Cup again) for, I am called Medicina Dei.— I will shew thee, and I will shew you, the Angel of your Direction, which is called OCH.

Xenophon

On Probation
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Arbatel didn't seem a dangerous system to me. I only put the request in because he is an experienced occultist. I hoped he might have insights in other fields. He's an old-time occultist but I've never seen anyone ask him about his energy work.
Got it.