• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Rituals, spells and whatever else to help sleep

Someone's asking for help!

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Without getting into detail due to it being a family issue, I seek quick and easy things to do(that aren't the mundane ones, because of those I already know) to help someone(probably someone that has inital stages of dementia) sleep.
Just that, something to influence her to sleep deeply and-if possible-quickly.

Preference for means that don't require a lot of tools or lengthy steps.
I'm at the end of my rope with this lack of sleep that is affecting everyone by proxy, and I fear this will keep happening but it isn't like we can simply go to the doctor for it right now.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I might be misremembering this but I think @stratamaster78 posted a very simple adaptation of a bay Laurel spell from the PGM that he had used or given to a friend.
Can't find the post though and I'm not sure which PGM spell it was.

Maybe DM Strata if he doesn't read this.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
If you can't sleep personally, I'm going to have to suggest you try stopping energy work, if it's something you do.

Pyrokar

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
i remember reading of a doctor of sorts, he had a bit of fame for the ability to fall asleep in the wildest conditions, within seconds.
he said it was all about relaxing, and i'd have to agree.

so perhaprs a guided relaxation that we are all painfully aware of in the art
you know the one. relax toes, relax feet, relax shins, thigs, one by one up the ladder.
Im more focused on the dementia etc so pre-occupying the mind with thoughts of sleep would be something i'd attack for sure.
it's not so bad, after a few times the process should become natural.
also consider changing their place of sleep. We're funky monkeys so if the subject developed some habit that gets in the way... i'd hit that too.

so basically an induction, but it's not a quick fix, i also have a sneaking suspicion you thought of this already.
Supplements? tea's n shit. scents. a song (it should always be the same one)
make it a process, so that the mind/body knows in advance it's being set up for sleep. (also the reason i recommend switching beds)

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Many thanks.

If you can't sleep personally, I'm going to have to suggest you try stopping energy work, if it's something you do.
I can sleep, but due to having to help to take care of the person that can't sleep, I end up staying awake.
After all how can we all sleep safely when we have to keep an eye on someone that can be a danger to themselves?

That is the problem.
a guided relaxation
I don't think it would help her as she tends to be "out of it" sometimes or not really understand much of what's going on even wehn we explain things to her.If to her it is hard to understand what we say sometimes, I don't think she would have the capacity to follow a guided relaxation.

consider changing their place of sleep
I personally think this is one of the issues.She is extremelly attached to her house but due to an emergency with her partner, she had to stay alone, and then she was brought to my parent's house, the first day she slept fine but the second she didn't and I do think that she's missing her home sunconsciously.
And we can't really do much about it even if we try to use logic on her.

tea's n shit. scents. a song
Tea was first option(it didn't work).
I thought of trying scents, maybe even using incense with some soothing smell, but I haven't talked about it because so far this was an "one time event".Song won't work since she is someone used to sleeping in quietness.

make it a process, so that the mind/body knows in advance it's being set up for sleep.
A bit like hypnosis huh?Conditioning their subconscious to follow a pattern...that is an interesting idea.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
This sleep hypnosis is professionally made with a professional, use it as much as you need.

Last edited:

Pyrokar

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
i had some run ins with dementia you have my sympathies.
quite the horrible thing to suffer from, indirectly as well.

if they are not verbally applicable you can still attack the senses in other ways.
i would suggest music again, something from their youth, a heavy hitter. not all night mind you
like you already caught on, as a trigger. one leads to the other.
try to increase comfort, placing importance on relaxation, some light subtle aroma (only for going to sleep)

guess im parroting at this point, the one thing that i can add is backround knowledge, either when they are lucid or from memory
give the previous bedroom a look over, maybe using the familiar blankets etc, it could be something as simple as
the ticking of the grandfather clock from down the hall.
kind of like invoking at this point isn't it?
Post automatically merged:

keep using the tea with any other triggers you think of.
and only before bed. they will stack up eventually. The body has a memory of it's own.

Jackson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Well, meditate often I guess. It will reduce the need for sleep.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
In Witchcraft, Folk Magic and Herbalism section, someone just posted a "Sleep Spell From Greek Magical Papyri." Check it out.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Well, I did it.
Now it's waiting to see the results for tomorrow, as tonight I won't be one of the caretakers so I won't be able to know if she slept well or not until tomorrow.