• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Recommendation Seeking recommendation: best book on Paracelsus

Seeking or giving recommendations for books.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I'd like to read more about Paracelsus, his life and work, but from an occult perspective (writer doesn't have to be a magician, but they have to think alchemy has value, be interested in the ideas themselves)

He himself was incredibly prolific - there's no obviously best place to start - and apparently not an easy read. I'm really just looking for a primer. Esp interested in the idea of the inner firmament.

(I've already read the Frater Acher books that reference him; Holy Heretics and Ingenium)

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
You might want to try The Life of Paracelsus by Anne M Stoddart. It's the only actual bio I could find that gives any real linear narrative, but it is dated, written in the early 20th century. It does go into his occult practices but I think it overlooks a lot of things. I could tell the author was definitely interested in the subject herself but may have been reserved in her presentation due to the times and her desire to present him as a insurgent pioneer in medicine, which he was. Stoddart seemed personally interested in her subject, so it smacked to me as a bit of hero worship, but I liked the book. Hope that helps.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I've downloaded two books from annas-archive.org that seemed interesting: One is ""Paracelsus (Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, 1493–1541) - Essential Theoretical Writings" by Andrew Weeks, basically a scholarly reader of 986 pages (which also contains the German original texts, so that's why it's so expansive). The Table of Contents gives no clues as to any obvious occult content but it contains some of his texts on alchemy (which for him is one of the four foundations of medicine).

The other is "Paracelsus: Essential Readings" by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke which caught my eye because the author has also written about esoteric topics. It's smaller, not that scholarly but contains translations of original texts without much in the way of commentary; however, it does contain a section entitled "Pansophy, Magic and Cabbala".

Of course both books are not 'primers' but I thought you might want to check out some source texts as well. Apart from that, annas-archive.org seems to list mainly biographies although I'd have to download "The Hermetic and Alchemical Writings of Paracelsus - Two Volumes in One" by A.E. Waite to be really sure.