• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Shadow People discussion

Mr.Redd

Neophyte
Reaction score
Shadow people are the most common and entrenched apparition in human history as people all over the world have seen or reported to see shadowy figures stalking at night or at the foot of their beds, a more famous example of such a creature is the Hat-man who is reported a lot more commonly than any other form of the shadow people.

my theory on their existence and motives are more less as parasites or agents of parasite to cause stress and fear in the human populace as they regularly are reported to radiate malice or not so good intentions which makes people afraid or stressed, think of them as psychic parasites that have enough sentience to actually be evil and malicious instead of just being as is like other parasitic creatures.

I don't think a shadow person has any mass or physical space instead being theoretical matter that exists in a way that can't be interacted with unless someone is operating on the same negative wavelength such as extreme terror or being psychic enough to touch a shadow being.

To be clear i don't think shadow people are ghosts or spirits of any type or religion instead I think they're their own thing that has rules to how they operate as they seemingly can just ignore most occult/supernatural protective measures but they can't really enter or operate in places with positive connotations or memories attached to them and theoretically they can be warded off by using an object with positive attachments in a similar way to how you can ward off a demon by evoking the power of a cross.

Have you encountered a shadow person? do you have your own theories on what they are? do you agree or disagree with me? any questions or thoughts?

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
a more famous example of such a creature is the Hat-man
Does this creature wear a fedora? I remember a user was complaining of a curse since childhood and referred to the "demon" that haunted him as "hat man". Now I admit I was skeptical because I haven't seen the documentary and it sounds like an urban legend thing - though this last part is not a dismissal. I actually find these interesting and have thought of collecting data on such things.
I did a search on Hat Man and it says he wears a top hat and a trench coat. But the digital art pic attached made him look like a silhouette of Clint Eastwood from the old Spaghetti Westerns.

To be clear i don't think shadow people are ghosts or spirits of any type or religion
I can't help but think of the Egyptian "Shuyet" or "Shut", however it is transliterated. Not to say the phenomena you describe isn't something else, but I could imagine that a lot of dead folks that might be grasping onto this world may manifest as shadows under certain conditions. That said, I have met a few folks who dread shadow people, and at least one who scoffed that you can banish them by shining a flashlight on them. But, given some leeway in describing them, perhaps I can postulate that they are astral corpses sucking up all the stress they may induce or be drawn to?
What if they are organized?

Have you encountered a shadow person?
Occasionally I see what think is something flitting out of the corner of my eye which looks pretty shady. I might get a jump but it doesn't bother me all that much. Actually, I think it's kind of cool, just so long as it doesn't evolve to the point where I am having conversations with people who "aren't there" in public places. At home it's okay, though.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I did a search on Hat Man and it says he wears a top hat and a trench coat
I am on the side that there is no true “hatman” and that people who claim to see him, like the people who recreationally take DPH, they have an entire subreddit btw could either be:

1. just a group hallucination, similar the the altered state of consciousness in sleep paralysis where your subconscious fears are materialized and projected onto yourself

2. an etheric entity, such as a fae, who can read people’s thoughts and emotions and can present themselves in the physical form expected by the person, so if you are expecting to see hatman or are fearful of that, that is exactly what appears to you.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
When I was 14/15 and walked home from down town in the middle of the night (with lots of beer and weed in me) I saw shadow figures everywhere. Sitting on the rooftops, hunched over behind cars and standing against trees. I walked fast then.
As I've gotten older, and don't get drunk anymore I haven't seen them anymore.

Occasionally I see what think is something flitting out of the corner of my eye which looks pretty shady. I might get a jump

A couple of weeks ago I was smoking a bit of weed near my backdoor when from the corner of my eye, I suddenly saw a whitish/gray figure leap over the wall and run up to me. I jumped into a taekwondo stance but there was nothing there 🤣

could either be:

1. just a group hallucination, similar the the altered state of consciousness in sleep paralysis where your subconscious fears are materialized and projected onto yourself

2. an etheric entity, such as a fae, who can read people’s thoughts and emotions and can present themselves in the physical form expected by the person, so if you are expecting to see hatman or are fearful of that, that is exactly what appears to you.
I think you are right, and I also think that both options in a way are the same. Expectation and the desire to join in can create this as well. Like all the stories about mechanical DMT elves, it's a template to place over your experience maybe.

Friggasdottir

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Shadow people are the most common and entrenched apparition in human history as people all over the world have seen or reported to see shadowy figures stalking at night or at the foot of their beds, a more famous example of such a creature is the Hat-man who is reported a lot more commonly than any other form of the shadow people.

my theory on their existence and motives are more less as parasites or agents of parasite to cause stress and fear in the human populace as they regularly are reported to radiate malice or not so good intentions which makes people afraid or stressed, think of them as psychic parasites that have enough sentience to actually be evil and malicious instead of just being as is like other parasitic creatures.

I don't think a shadow person has any mass or physical space instead being theoretical matter that exists in a way that can't be interacted with unless someone is operating on the same negative wavelength such as extreme terror or being psychic enough to touch a shadow being.

To be clear i don't think shadow people are ghosts or spirits of any type or religion instead I think they're their own thing that has rules to how they operate as they seemingly can just ignore most occult/supernatural protective measures but they can't really enter or operate in places with positive connotations or memories attached to them and theoretically they can be warded off by using an object with positive attachments in a similar way to how you can ward off a demon by evoking the power of a cross.

Have you encountered a shadow person? do you have your own theories on what they are? do you agree or disagree with me? any questions or thoughts?
I feel like I have as a child, but it's one of those dim memories you don't want to remember. There is an excellent channel on YouTube called the Xeno Hunter. He is Inuit and delves into many things unknown, including extensively, shadow people. He reaches much thr same conclusion that you do. He also talks about humans who become trapped in the shadow realm. There are stories of this from the Inuit culture. These theories make sense to me.

Mr.Redd

Neophyte
Reaction score
alright I'll break this down as best I can cause I do have a lot of info on this.

Does this creature wear a fedora?

The hat man i'm most familiar with is in fact the one that wears a fedora with a very wide brim, he's(its?) more of a personal phenomenon as most commonly whenever someone asks about supernatural encounters there will be at least one person to mention the hat man but it's kind of hard to find these stories unless you either know a person or heard about it second hand but on message boards such as 4chan, reddit, and discord whenever someone asks about supernatural encounters multiple people will mention the hat man and the state of unease it caused them and intelligent manner it moved, I think the hat man is a form of leader or high ranking individual of shadow person or straight up might be a unique mutation(for the lack of a better term) of a shadow person.
I remember a user was complaining of a curse since childhood and referred to the "demon" that haunted him as "hat man". Now I admit I was skeptical because I haven't seen the documentary and it sounds like an urban legend thing - though this last part is not a dismissal. I actually find these interesting and have thought of collecting data on such things.
the hat man is actually the main reason i call shadow people entrenched in human culture as he seems to be very very prevalent. what documentary are you talking about? yeah there's actually a lot of stories, rumors, and "rules" that can be found that all relate to shadow people but you really have to dive deep to find them, or at least anything that isn't already well known.

Occasionally I see what think is something flitting out of the corner of my eye which looks pretty shady. I might get a jump but it doesn't bother me all that much. Actually, I think it's kind of cool, just so long as it doesn't evolve to the point where I am having conversations with people who "aren't there" in public places. At home it's okay, though.
yeah, i think there's more shadow creatures besides people and i experience the same thing, especially when i'm alone or very calm.

I did a search on Hat Man and it says he wears a top hat and a trench coat. But the digital art pic attached made him look like a silhouette of Clint Eastwood from the old Spaghetti Westerns.

Nah i think the tranchcoat and top hat are just miscommunication or mistaken viewing. or the hat man was trying something i don't really have an explanation for this.

can't help but think of the Egyptian "Shuyet" or "Shut"
yeah man i understand the confusion but shadow people are just kinda different if you ever encountered one before you'd get what i mean, they feel like they're completely alien to anything on earth while those would probably feel like another person are in the room.

That said, I have met a few folks who dread shadow people, and at least one who scoffed that you can banish them by shining a flashlight on them. But, given some leeway in describing them, perhaps I can postulate that they are astral corpses sucking up all the stress they may induce or be drawn to?
yeah most people can be divvied up into three categories to how they react to/deal with shadow people type 0 are those who can't perceive them and hence can't be affected by them unless under some kind of influence such as alcohol or drugs, they actually can react very well to seeing them and either confront them taking away power or move away from them not allowing influence to take hold. type 1 are people who can perceive them and react like a normal person, fear. type 2, people who have interacted enough with shadow people that they communicate and even command them, although i think this is kind of made up by internet people, still enough stories to make it relevant though.

Flashlights have positive associations with light, help and safety so of course they'd work but i bet a flashlight works extra well against them in the hands of that guy but I don't like the idea of scoffing at shadow people, they're just as dangerous as a ghost or demon.

them being astral remains is a very good theory, i don't think they're drawn to stress though as they randomly pop up and cause a fear/stress response most commonly.

What if they are organized?
that is a very scary thought for me but it's most likely they're random groups and individuals similar to pack animals or even gangs if they're intelligent enough. the hat man could be a ring leader or high ranked shadow person.
Post automatically merged:

I am on the side that there is no true “hatman” and that people who claim to see him, like the people who recreationally take DPH, they have an entire subreddit btw could either be:

Hatman is actually very consistent in his actions and demeanor i feel like there would be big discrepancies if these were what he is.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Hatman is actually very consistent in his actions and demeanor i feel like there would be big discrepancies if these were what he is.
There are discrepancies it’s easy to find tbh and the stories of it are so widely varied that it seems anytime somebody thinks they see an entity with a hat, they call it hatman. If there is an entity in the first place, I doubt it's all the same creature, or at least most of it isn't.

alright I'll break this down as best I can cause I do have a lot of info on this.

The hat man i'm most familiar with is in fact the one that wears a fedora with a very wide brim, he's(its?) more of a personal phenomenon as most commonly whenever someone asks about supernatural encounters there will be at least one person to mention the hat man but it's kind of hard to find these stories unless you either know a person or heard about it second hand but on message boards such as 4chan, reddit, and discord whenever someone asks about supernatural encounters multiple people will mention the hat man and the state of unease it caused them and intelligent manner it moved, I think the hat man is a form of leader or high ranking individual of shadow person or straight up might be a unique mutation(for the lack of a better term) of a shadow person.

the hat man is actually the main reason i call shadow people entrenched in human culture as he seems to be very very prevalent. what documentary are you talking about? yeah there's actually a lot of stories, rumors, and "rules" that can be found that all relate to shadow people but you really have to dive deep to find them, or at least anything that isn't already well known.

yeah, i think there's more shadow creatures besides people and i experience the same thing, especially when i'm alone or very calm.

Nah i think the tranchcoat and top hat are just miscommunication or mistaken viewing. or the hat man was trying something i don't really have an explanation for this.

yeah man i understand the confusion but shadow people are just kinda different if you ever encountered one before you'd get what i mean, they feel like they're completely alien to anything on earth while those would probably feel like another person are in the room.

yeah most people can be divvied up into three categories to how they react to/deal with shadow people type 0 are those who can't perceive them and hence can't be affected by them unless under some kind of influence such as alcohol or drugs, they actually can react very well to seeing them and either confront them taking away power or move away from them not allowing influence to take hold. type 1 are people who can perceive them and react like a normal person, fear. type 2, people who have interacted enough with shadow people that they communicate and even command them, although i think this is kind of made up by internet people, still enough stories to make it relevant though.

Flashlights have positive associations with light, help and safety so of course they'd work but i bet a flashlight works extra well against them in the hands of that guy but I don't like the idea of scoffing at shadow people, they're just as dangerous as a ghost or demon.

them being astral remains is a very good theory, i don't think they're drawn to stress though as they randomly pop up and cause a fear/stress response most commonly.

that is a very scary thought for me but it's most likely they're random groups and individuals similar to pack animals or even gangs if they're intelligent enough. the hat man could be a ring leader or high ranked shadow person.

I think there are plenty of discrepancies easy to find, and the stories of it are so widely varied that it seems anytime anyone thinks they see an entity with a hat, they call it hatman. If there is an entity in the first place, I doubt it's all the same creature, or at least most of it isn't.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
what documentary are you talking about?
I'm guessing this is the one. Mind you, I have not seen it, I only did a quick search. When I get time I will probably dig deeper.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I jumped into a taekwondo stance but there was nothing there 🤣
You were ready! You reminded me of an incident some years ago when I was driving home. It was at night and I was taking a turn into lane with a crosswalk. I saw the vague shape of a man with his hands in his pockets suddenly appear and cross just as I was taking the turn. It was all so instantaneous - but I did not slow down. I sped up and kept driving, shaking my head.

If there is an entity in the first place, I doubt it's all the same creature, or at least most of it isn't.
I think that in a general way some ideas can take on a life of their own if enough people perpetuate it. Such an idea may be based on the fashion of the time, but with enough intensity of imagination in enough people it can create a "vessel" in which a more "established force" might step in.

whenever someone asks about supernatural encounters there will be at least one person to mention the hat man but it's kind of hard to find these stories unless you either know a person or heard about it second hand but on message boards such as 4chan, reddit, and discord whenever someone asks about supernatural encounters multiple people will mention the hat man and the state of unease it caused them and intelligent manner it moved
Following the line of thought I expressed to Lemongrass, I feel I need a refresher on the works of Charles Fort. The fact that a phenomenon perpetuates itself, even only in anecdotes, would be dismissed as "unreal" by those who have no experience with it, merely keeps both sides of "real" and "unreal" in the realm of opinion. But the phenomenon itself is still data, which, even if it were to fade away in relevance to the group mind, it would still have "quasi-existence".
That is to say, if a thing has "quasi-existence" it can still have an effect, even if only in stories passed on by the culture which cause fright. Given the right conditions it can serve as a vehicle of manifestation, self perpetuate and so on like a virus. The question of its "objective" reality sort of self cancels when this quasi-existence is held in the realm of passionate opinion - no evidence to the contrary will make a difference in disproving a phenomenon. The flip side of that is that if no one wants to believe it, if it does not fit with the cultural-scientific-religious paradigm, then the concept will be translated into non-existence. Nevertheless, the idea manifested, even if for a brief time - it can said to have had existence.
Put more simply, if enough people believe in shadow people, then shadow people will walk among them. What I find most interesting is what those people do about such beings, if they do anything at all. This inevitably draws me to a comparison with The Slender Man case which resulted in a pair of teen girls attempting to murder another. The is a clear difference though - shadow people are presented as supernatural threat to our well being, while Slender Man presents the same but was also exalted as a kind of Dark Savior to lonely children.
That considered, while I neither confirm belief or disbelief in this, and take a position of "intermediateness", I would like to see some of the anecdotal evidence, or data, posted here at some point.

Dalina

Visitor
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I met the hatman twice in my life and would like to describe my impressions.
The first time I performed an exit to the astral plane with a guide guy , and the hatman stood near my chair as if accompanying me or observing. His energy was absolutely neutral, he did not cause fear. He was like a very tall man in a coat and fedora with straight brims, thin.Absolutly black no details. And once again I saw him in a meditation for cleansing negative entities. My meditations are very realistic and sometimes entities appear in them without my invitation.
And then I discovered on the Internet that many people see him. I started looking for more information and found this forum.
For me he is a mystery, but I am sensitive to energies and I can say that he is not trying to scare or cause any harm. He is more of an observer and accompanying person, but no matter how curious I am, my intuition tells me not to try to communicate with him or make any contact.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I have a bronze bust of Kwan Yin. When I imagine it over my head I see entities passing by that I cannot see in ordinary meditation

It seems that various entities share this space with humans with usually no interaction possible.

Perhaps the Cosmos is more crowded than we think

The bust was modified long ago during meditation or perhaps a dream. I have forgotten who/what did it.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Hello everyone, I met the hatman twice in my life and would like to describe my impressions.
The first time I performed an exit to the astral plane with a guide guy , and the hatman stood near my chair as if accompanying me or observing. His energy was absolutely neutral, he did not cause fear. He was like a very tall man in a coat and fedora with straight brims, thin.Absolutly black no details. And once again I saw him in a meditation for cleansing negative entities. My meditations are very realistic and sometimes entities appear in them without my invitation.
And then I discovered on the Internet that many people see him. I started looking for more information and found this forum.
For me he is a mystery, but I am sensitive to energies and I can say that he is not trying to scare or cause any harm. He is more of an observer and accompanying person, but no matter how curious I am, my intuition tells me not to try to communicate with him or make any contact.

D. H. Thorne wrote a book called "The Shadownomicon" where he describes his years of experience with the shadow people including the hatman. He changed his opinions about them several times over the years and confesses that he is still not clear about what they exactly are and what they want. They come across as absolutely malevolent, demons seem like saints in comparison.

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve talked about this on here before but I did interact with one in more of a tricorn hat and what I would call a duster overcoat before.

-Eld

But most don’t seem to have discernible clothing.

Last edited:

Shaman

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I see shadow people sometimes at the corner of my eyes. I swear something was staring at me but when I look at them they are not there. I am not sure if it's my succubus, I once saw her in my dream and she looked like a shadow person maybe it is her. They are more common in night time and I see them in the dark also when the lights are off.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
One sees ill-defined shapes in the shadows and the brain interprets them as human-forms. Sentries have been shooting at them since the invention of javelins. There might be "shadow people." But simple jumpy error is far more common.