• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Sigils Daily

Someone's asking for help!

nightly

Neophyte
Reaction score
If i do it on a daily (or semi daily) basis, will that get me better at it? like drawing or learning any skills, you slowly get better (or more flexible at least) the more you do it
Or will that only exhaust my energy?

Solution
If i do it on a daily (or semi daily) basis, will that get me better at it? like drawing or learning any skills, you slowly get better (or more flexible at least) the more you do it
You will get better at it!

I don't know if you will find it tiring, but it's really not a big deal if you exhaust your energy, when it's through regular practice, rather than one big intense ritual that you're not prepared for

Think of physical energy: if you go out too many nights in a row, or stay up late playing video games too many nights in a row, then you feel exhausted, you rest, you take a few days off, and then you restart but with a better sense of your...

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
You will get better at it!

I don't know if you will find it tiring, but it's really not a big deal if you exhaust your energy, when it's through regular practice, rather than one big intense ritual that you're not prepared for

Think of physical energy: if you go out too many nights in a row, or stay up late playing video games too many nights in a row, then you feel exhausted, you rest, you take a few days off, and then you restart but with a better sense of your limits. No drama.

There's an occultist who does what she calls a "lunation rite" where she does a sigil every day for a lunar month, and matches the sigil to the lunar mansion. If you're not familiar with lunar mansions, you could just use where the moon is in the signs (it goes through all 12 in a month). For example, right now the moon is in Taurus, so you could do sigils related to home and material comfort. Soon it will move into Gemini, so sigils related to travel/new ideas / communication would fit well (moon calendar
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
)

That's just an idea, I have no idea if you care about the moon! But the point is, there's definitely people doing them every day, and maybe you'd enjoy finding some sort of theme or structure to create to, and maybe you want to try a smaller commitment first (every day for a month, or every 6 days of 7 for the next two weeks, whatever you like)

Solution

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
guess this is more of a q&a section post.

but since it's a talk about it- type beat....
every G knows it's good to enflame thy self in prayer, invoke often
so too probably with sigils

but im getting a lot of mixed signals about sigils these days from outside the chaos paradigm.
almost like folks either don't know whats the purpose, or just attaching purpose of their own
like every day a sigil for the lunar whatevers, or the one about getting sigils from a tree, why?
don't get me wrong i attach my own purpose to sigils a LOT, im just trying to wrap my head around it
am i missing out on something new in the craft?

(Not targeting you Pixel, dumb that i even have to say it. i mean they're not like, your techniques that im bashing on.
i for one love that we have someone scouring the web for resources like that. respect to everyone putting in work)

it feels off. like instagram witches girl power pretty book of shadows with neat lines and cute drawings type
when's the last time we saw a simple, elegant sigil?
maybe that's the itch?
everyone expects strong to be rare and complex?
or everybody wants to be special and personal, though sigils, by their nature are all that and more.

in the most basic of basics, a sigil is a symbolic representation of one's idea ( wish/goal/whatever)
designed in such a way that it slips by the conscious mind in order to lock into the subconscious-
there were also lots of sexy innuendos to follow along with the act of "giving birth" to it- but it can be
dumbed down to squiggles on a paper

where im going with this is, per the only definition of sigils that i know of, trying random sigils
for random things, is cluttering the dark mind.
The most "school-book" proper way would be to focus on something to achieve by the sigil
and THEN you do it as long as it takes until the seed takes root (at least, and then some to actually achieve the goal)

The good name of sigils is in danger because of the roleplayers, as if sigils weren't looked down on
by the community before that.
Post automatically merged:

for clarity to the Op
that means particular sigil, just one
every day until some sort of reaction or failure.
in fact i just now remembered authors often advise the same thing
and are against doing multiple sigils at once -

this is not in opposition to Pixel's suggestion as they are not the same thing
but for a beginner, attempting something of that caliber probably will drain you faster
than wiccans drain my patience

.... which is really fast.

Last edited:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Your sigil drawing will definitely improve over time. At first you're likely to be overly careful to include all the letters, then discover how to combine them (like drawing "K" and "R" back to back), turn them upside down, distort them, dismantle them, create overlays, etc., then the aesthetics customized to your personal taste will probably become more important than slavishly clinging to all those letters. You also may want to include some symbols of your own (I liked to use exclamation marks for added emphasis) or some weird squiggles to make the whole thing look cool. It's a learning process, and because you mentioned 'flexibility', yes, of course, you will become more flexible, and what's even more important, more confident.

Here's my approach to sigil magic: the construction of the sigil is already part of the magic, it doesn't begin only with its charging. Once you've got all the letters for your sigil and are ready to start drawing, you enter into some kind of far-away state - no big thing, no shamanic trance or anything, it doesn't even have to involve effort, just some dreamy preoccupation like a child playing with its building bricks. Or simply concentrate, it's just my thing that I prefer drifting off a bit into lalaland when drawing a sigil, and that's easy to do, no special training required.

Grabbing a pen and paper and feeling calmly convinced that something serviceable will come out of all that doodling is important because it gives you peace of mind - it's just that doing sigil magic means imposing your will on the universe, which is no small thing. When you draw a sigil, you're pouring your will into a symbol of your own design, and that can very well be exhausting (and we're not even at the charging stage yet).

The danger here is that the sigil drawing process loses its charm and becomes trivial if you do it on a daily basis. A magical ritual should be special, so even if you shoot for small results in the beginning, the rituals should be done in dead earnest, in my opinion - dive right in, and no dress rehearsals. So if you in fact feel exhausted after a couple of days, take a break instead of slogging on regardless. Sigil magic should be fun, not an ordeal.

guess this is more of a q&a section post.

but since it's a talk about it- type beat....
This is the right section, I think, because everybody will come up with their own ideas, describe their personal style, maybe critique the methods or philosophy of this or that author... a discussion, in a word, not the single useful answer the poor OP was looking for. :)

I don't want to even look at those overly neat disney sigils on social media, I'm doing fine with a cheap ballpoint pen on squared paper.;)

Last edited:

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
to use exclamation marks for added emphasis
im stealing the hell out of this, crazy i never thought of that, more than just exclamations either.
sounds pretty small but actually adds a bit of oomph to it.
drifting off a bit into lalaland when drawing a sigil
that IS the proper way to do it imho
little trance to get the ball moving without it,
it's as you said - mundane doodles.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
im stealing the hell out of this, crazy i never thought of that, more than just exclamations either.
sounds pretty small but actually adds a bit of oomph to it.
Some people even add zoidical or alchemical symbols but I think the meaning of such specific glyphs would distort the whole thing somewhat...

This author has some rather neat ideas:

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
My answer to this would have been too much of a derail so I've posted it as a thread in Discussion

As always: I don't actually expect people to read my ridiculously long responses, but it's there if you're interested