• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Silly question about offerings of food

Saint_Caliburn

Visitor
Reaction score
Hello! I am just beginning to build my magical practice and I have what might be an obvious question about offerings. I understand incense, candles, and cups or bowls of water as offerings for spirits or servitors or whatever else, but I've seen some mention of leaving offerings of food.

My question is, what do you actually do with the food? I can't just leave it on my altar for obvious sanitary reasons. My first thought would be to burn it, converting it into a form the spirits can draw nourishment from more easily. But I'm a college student, and don't have easy access to a fire pit. Is it improper to eat the food yourself? I could see that making sense for an invocation, but for an evocation or servitor it seems rude. It seems important that the offering be consumed in some way, but throwing it away after the fact also seems disrespectful.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated :)

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Here’s some existing threads that might help:

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Answer 1: You should eat it because it is blessed by the spirits.
Answer 2: The spirits have consumed what they want from the offering, so you can eat what's left.
Answer 3: Actually you shouldn't eat it because the spirits have taken the good stuff and you're going to get some weird residue.
Answer 4: Feed it to the birds/ foxes/ appropriate critters.
Answer 5: Let some monks/ nuns/ clergy eat it.

Reaction score
Awards
This question comes up all the time on every forum I’ve ever been on, each time someone gives almost every answer xing gave above. So essentially it depends on your practice, find a respectable way to do it that makes sense with what you’re doing.

I usually do my outside and leave it (nothing has ever been there the next morning) for local spirits/genius loci/etc… occasionally when I do it with certain spirits I consume it as part of the ritual.

-Eld