• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Report Stephen Skinner - Dr John Dee's Spiritual Diary 1583-1608

A post detailing the poster's experience/thoughts with a book.

neilwilkes

Apprentice
Reaction score
I already have not only Kevin Klein's beautiful 3 volume edition of these, as well as Joseph Peterson's 'John Dee's Five Books Of Mystery' and the Forgotten Books edition of 'A True and Faithfull Relation etc.' but had to get this new version simply for the way it has been laid out including good translations of Dee's oftbn difficult Ecclesiastical Latin and it's a beautiful edition on first glance that I can instantly highly recommend to everybody as well worth the cost - not that it is expensive at £60 including shipping (which works out at less than £0.075/page (seven and one half pence) - that's what I call 'Value for Money').
I'll be writing a full and proper review at one point, but had to get the discussion started ASAP because I am immediately confused by the layout of the 'Holy Table', which is reproduced on page 23 with the statement that it is 'As engraved in 'True And Faithfull Relation...' (with a left-right reversal)' - yet the image in my copy of the original has the same arrangement, albeit with the top of the table at the left (so Widdershins by 90 degrees).
The question is obvious - did Dr Skinner intend to correct the wonky engraving in Casaubon's work? If he did then the printrers have got it wrong, or else the Forgotten Books edition corrected the original. I find this strange because Dr Skinner went to great lengths in his introduction to say that errors have been corrected, yet this most fundamentral of errors has been maintained in this edition. FWIW, Joseph Peterson also reproduces the table as in Casaubon as well - so what is the correct layout and has anybody printed this correctly anywhere?
Does anybody have any information on this at all, please? I would be really grateful.....but I must now get started on reading this 800+ page beauty and will in due course post a 'True and Faithfull Review' (sorry for the bad pun, but I could not resist the temptation - Dee would have understood!)