• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Tarot cards vs oracle cards

ShivasDaughter

Neophyte
Reaction score
Hiya! Today I'm curious about general dispositions toward these cards. Do you feel that both are equally capable as tools or do you prefer one over the other? I'm also curious if you find that people react more positively toward oracle cards? I have observed that people are generally more fearful of tarot (for some reason. Ok, I know the reason lol). This makes me curious about using reimagined tarot decks that use the original system with elements renamed.

Korvin

Neophyte
Reaction score
I only use Tarot, but that's because I believe it is a library of Hermetic wisdom that I have devoted a substantial amount of time and energy to studying.

But for divination, at least of certain types of divination, I see no reason why oracle cards wouldn't be effective, and I say that even though I have never used or studied them at all. You see, I don't think there is anything inherently magical or special about any of the cards themselves.

Using cards generates a random "picture" that our subconscious engages with to find patterns. Our minds are really really good at seeing patterns. Doing so allows our subconscious to communicate with us, and in doing so, share its wisdom with us. I think the key is to use cards where each one is packed with meaning for the reader. The more material the subconscious has to work with, the better. I think what a lot of esoteric study is really about is building up a catalogue of meanings and relationships in our mind that our subconscious can draw upon.

imagedotjpeg

Neophyte
Reaction score
I believe they are both equally capable! I have a small collection of both tarot and oracle cards, but I do like oracle cards more (at the moment, only because I haven't gotten fully learned the meaning of each tarot card).

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
From my own practice. I use Tarot cards generally for divination only. I use my oracle cards however in my spellwork.

ShivasDaughter

Neophyte
Reaction score
I believe they are both equally capable! I have a small collection of both tarot and oracle cards, but I do like oracle cards more (at the moment, only because I haven't gotten fully learned the meaning of each tarot card).
Yes, it seems one must learn ever single one of these new decks. It's a calling indeed and definitely not one without a bit of effort 😅

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting, I'd love to hear more about how you incorporate them!
Haha sure thing.

I switch between 3 tarot decks. The OG rider deck, the Thoth deck, and the santa muerte deck. And use the Lucifer oracle deck for spellwork.

The way I see it is, tarot cards can be a bit more varied in how they can be interpreted when compared to an oracle deck. For example you consider the number of the card, the suit, the imagery as well as the position in the spread you made which makes attaching a specific intent to it a bit harder just due to the various aspects of the card that can be taken into account. This doesnt even include things like correspondences the card itself has to planets reversals etc.

Tarot cards are great for divination as the fact that they have a wealth of info points to read in order come up with a holistic reading since you can really maximize the nooks and crannys of each card to give depth to a question :)

With oracle decks, theres relatively less things to draw from for divination. You can easily just base your reading on the imagery alone and the energy it gives. This gives them a better utility value at least for me for spellwork as there are less movable parts so to speak haha. And since spellwork is more specific goal oriented i find them easier to use for it.

ShivasDaughter

Neophyte
Reaction score
Haha sure thing.

I switch between 3 tarot decks. The OG rider deck, the Thoth deck, and the santa muerte deck. And use the Lucifer oracle deck for spellwork.

The way I see it is, tarot cards can be a bit more varied in how they can be interpreted when compared to an oracle deck. For example you consider the number of the card, the suit, the imagery as well as the position in the spread you made which makes attaching a specific intent to it a bit harder just due to the various aspects of the card that can be taken into account. This doesnt even include things like correspondences the card itself has to planets reversals etc.

Tarot cards are great for divination as the fact that they have a wealth of info points to read in order come up with a holistic reading since you can really maximize the nooks and crannys of each card to give depth to a question :)

With oracle decks, theres relatively less things to draw from for divination. You can easily just base your reading on the imagery alone and the energy it gives. This gives them a better utility value at least for me for spellwork as there are less movable parts so to speak haha. And since spellwork is more specific goal oriented i find them easier to use for it.
Ok! Thank you so much for your explanation 😁

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've noticed that the deck and it's imagery leaves a bigger impact on the client than whether its Tarot, Oracle, Lenormand, etc. Most of the time, people who are getting a reading really aren't into this stuff much at all so they don't really even know the differences between them. Don't think I've ever seen a negative reaction based on the type of reading it is.

For example, one of my go to Tarot decks is the Wild Unknown. But it's imagery can be outright scary sometimes, especially if as the client they aren't familiar with its meaning and context. Personally, I like that. The impression left in the mind with something shocking or weird can help pull the message deeper in the subconscious.

Interestingly enough, some of the best readings I have ever received were been done using a combination of the two. In one reading where Peruvian shamanism influences were included, the oracle cards represented my state according to the cosmology and concepts of each corner of the world (North, East, etc). In another, the oracle cards were used for a secondary spread to clarify parts of the first. Since experiencing the extra level of detail it provided, I now use archetype cards along with a Tarot or Lenormand spread for more detail where needed for about half the readings I do. Only problem with this is that you have to be cautious not to muddy up a reading which would've otherwise be clear and easy to read. Sometimes too many details can take away from the bigger picture. But after you experiment with it, you slowly find a balance.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
I have used both but prefer tarot as tarot is designed and built specifically for things like divination or pathworking. Whereas oracle cards are a more modern, New Age invention that simplifies the divination process into simple and easily translatable statements rather than imprinting images into ones subconscious.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
For future reference: this may be the kind of thread that suits the Occult Q&A section! :)

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
i got several decks at home. overall i like the darker ones, but i have one oracle deck that has 1 card in it that makes me myself go crazy.
the deck is the messengers of gaia and it is the numver 10 card: accept the feminine in your life. up to this far it makes sense. the painting is quite green and lush, which makes sense too. but the woman in the picture is preignant. why the hell is that???? i cant find a spiritual or physical reasoning behind it.

it leaves me with questions like: when i accept the feminine in my life, do i get to puke the rest of my life???? do i need to use my body for protection of the weak????? and more silly things about preignancy pop up.

so in the end, i think people like to get a reading with oracle cards, because they look mystical and mysterious, but the older decks like tarot work way better due to their ancient symbolism.

Claire Bambi

Neophyte
Reaction score
can someone please tell me the actual difference between taror and oracle cards like fundamentally whats the differences and is one better and if so which one?

Reaction score
Awards
As with most everything, might it be best to just try things out and see what resonates? That’s my approach.

For me, I really like the tarot because it’s a practice you can really dive into and learn a lot about. You can be a total noob and use a book with them or you can learn about the nuances and meanings far beyond just pips and suits.
Oracle cards are fun too. A bit more light hearted, basic. And that’s ok. Many oracle decks aren’t forecasting anything but instead offering something positive to consider thinking about.
The rabbit hole goes deeper too, because cards can be used in casting spells, setting intentions, and even playing card games with family and friends.
So for me, I am not averse to any of them.
Where I choose to draw the line is with an Ouijia Board. Random invocations aren’t something I tend to favor.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
In my personal readings I only use tarot. If a client wants an oracle reading I'll do it, I have a deck but I don't use them for myself or readings for friends. Oracle cards are too positive for me, like a damn Hallmark Christmas movie......nothing bad ever happens. Life isn't always rainbows and unicorns like oracle cards portray. But perhaps that is their purpose, to provide positivity when there is none.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Oracle decks can be interesting but both are just tools it’s up to you to learn the decks and see what they say or rather what answers they bring out of you.

but I like tarot, I have used oracle cards though, playing cards, tunes, etc but overall I enjoy tarot

Reaction score
Awards
In my personal readings I only use tarot. If a client wants an oracle reading I'll do it, I have a deck but I don't use them for myself or readings for friends. Oracle cards are too positive for me, like a damn Hallmark Christmas movie......nothing bad ever happens. Life isn't always rainbows and unicorns like oracle cards portray. But perhaps that is their purpose, to provide positivity when there is none.
Definitely agree. I always wanted to do a set of oracle cards with all quotes from Optimus Prime lol. Keep em by the door and do a pull before heading out each day for inspiration