• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Fulfilled Request The Book of St Cyprian by Jose Leitao or Humberto Maggi

This book has been found and shared.

Djnenas

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
In a month and a day it will be my birthday. I want to gift myself a copy of the english translation of The Book of St Cyprian. But due to the lack of good reviews, i find myself in the Y road... not knowing which one of the two to purchase. Jose Leitao's translation has lots of reviews but nobody says anything about the parts omitted by the author because in his opinion "they are too evil to publish"... In my opinon, his dogma makes the book incomplete in my eyes. I also tried looking for Humberto Maggi's book review to no avail. There is practically nothing online in the form of detailed review, comparison of the two translations, or PDF's so that i can read them both myself and then make an informed desicion as to which to purchase. If anybody has both or either of these translations i'd gladly appreciate it if you'd share. Thanks in advance!!

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.

Taudefindi

Disciple
Staff member
Jr. Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Jose Leitao's translation has lots of reviews but nobody says anything about the parts omitted by the author because in his opinion "they are too evil to publish"
I don't understand why a translator would actively ignore parts of the work they are translating all due to, probably, their own biased views.As a translator your only job is to faithfully translate the material given to you not to change it "as you see fit".Poor work ethics in my opinion.

Viktor

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I have translation from Stephen Skinner & David Rankine

Djnenas

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Jose Leitao's translation:

Oh WOW!!!:D Thank you so much for this!!! Happy belated birthday to me!!!:giggle:
Post automatically merged:

Unfortunately i dont speak or read portuguese:cry: It'll be great for those that do:geek:

Last edited:

HoldAll

Apostle
Staff member
Jr. Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Oh WOW!!!:D Thank you so much for this!!! Happy belated birthday to me!!!:giggle:
Post automatically merged:

Unfortunately i dont speak or read portuguese:cry: It'll be great for those that do:geek:

The first part seems to be an Englisch translation of the second Portuguese one, i.e. of the original, so everything should be there in English.