• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] The Cost of Apostleship?

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I see that I am now styled an "Apostle" in this forum. Well, friends, what IS an apostle? Perusing the Greek lexicon we find that an apostle is "one sent." The term is derived from απο, meaning "from, away" and Στελλα "Stella" who was Stanley Kowalski's wife in "A Streetcar Named Desire." As we all recall, at the close of the drama, Stella throws Stanley out and sends him away, unwanted, indeed despised.

Let us ponder that, friends. What is it? To be sent away? To answer that, we must turn to the spiritual classic, beloved by all believers and worthy by all men to be received. I am speaking of, "The Cost of Apostleship" by Dietrich Bunghoeffer, the pastor martyred in the August 1944 plot to assassinate Tom Cruise's Valkyries. There we read, "Sent away? Sent away like a Dear John letter, a past-due bill, filthy laundry, or a warmed-over Domino's pizza where they left off the anchovies and subbed cheddar for mozarella? That's what I am?!"

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I see that I am now styled an "Apostle" in this forum. Well, friends, what IS an apostle? Perusing the Greek lexicon we find that an apostle is "one sent." The term is derived from απο, meaning "from, away" and Στελλα "Stella" who was Stanley Kowalski's wife in "A Streetcar Named Desire." As we all recall, at the close of the drama, Stella throws Stanley out and sends him away, unwanted, indeed despised.

Let us ponder that, friends. What is it? To be sent away? To answer that, we must turn to the spiritual classic, beloved by all believers and worthy by all men to be received. I am speaking of, "The Cost of Apostleship" by Dietrich Bunghoeffer, the pastor martyred in the August 1944 plot to assassinate Tom Cruise's Valkyries. There we read, "Sent away? Sent away like a Dear John letter, a past-due bill, filthy laundry, or a warmed-over Domino's pizza where they left off the anchovies and subbed cheddar for mozarella? That's what I am?!"
I think Apostles have their role in society, especially the modern one which kinda lacks spirituality and spiritual interest.

The title itself Apostle implies a lot of hardship in order to be earned and maintained.

Having studied some books related to the Bible (both Gnostic ones and Kaballah), the Apostles are all under the dominion and task sent by a Lord.

I think the title of Apostle represents a very honorable approach for both scholars and also those who are fighting for their spiritual cause.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I think Apostles have their role in society, especially the modern one which kinda lacks spirituality and spiritual interest.

The title itself Apostle implies a lot of hardship in order to be earned and maintained.

Having studied some books related to the Bible (both Gnostic ones and Kaballah), the Apostles are all under the dominion and task sent by a Lord.

I think the title of Apostle represents a very honorable approach for both scholars and also those who are fighting for their spiritual cause.
All true enough, though my post is a joke.

On a more serious note, it seems to be the creeds come through Abraham that make it a point of (rather dubious) honor to bother one's neighbors.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
To be pedantic, Bonhoeffer's book is The Cost of Discipleship.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Apostle sounds preachy - like in a way that leads to creative executions such as being crucified upside down. Apostate sounds more exilic, daring and generally leftish of path.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
To be pedantic, Bonhoeffer's book is The Cost of Discipleship.
Yes, indeed it is. But I was writing of one Dietrich Bunghoeffer. The pastor martyred for involvement in 'the plot to assassinate Tom Cruise's Valkyries." What's the matter? Did irony take a holiday or something? Do I have to flag posts with a "snark 'n giggles" trigger warning?
Post automatically merged:

Is apostle not a type of shellfish?
That's a mussel. So called because you hafta muscle 'em out of their shells to eat them. Food you wrestle, as it were. Part of the cost of apostleship.