• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion The Esoteric Secrets of Surrealism: Origins, Magic, and Secret Societies, by Patrick Lepetit

Talk about a book(s)

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
This book, which can be read and downloaded freely
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, is a survey of surrealism as an occult movement, and the surrealists' involvement in, and appropriation of, a range of occult and esoteric currents for their own purposes. It shows, I think, that this involvement was serious and profound, and also dispels some misconceptions propagated by academic historians of surrealism.

Most of the material covered goes up to the 1960's, though some later developments, up to the 2000's, are alluded to. The first chapter explains the surrealists' atheism and anticlericalism in the context of their search for the authentic sacred, and shows how it is of quite a different character than the sterile rationalism/positivism/scientism usually connoted by atheism nowadays.

Subsequent chapters detail surrealists' explorations of myth, astrology, alchemy, magic, freemasonry, voodoo, etc. from many angles, synthesized in their peculiar orientation toward "The Marvelous," through "poetry, liberty, and love" as Breton summarized it.

I found the book fascinating but very dense with references and quotations- if I weren't familiar with the basic principles of surrealism, and the broad outline of its history and key figures, I probably would have found the book unreadable. For those unfamiliar with basic surrealism I would recommend starting with the collection of Andre Breton's writings, What is Surrealism? edited by Franklin Rosemont, as well as Pierre Mabille's Mirror of the Marvelous and the anthology of collective statements Surrealism Against the Current.

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
That was a great review. The book you have described sounds like a fascinating exploration of surrealism as an occult movement and the surrealists' engagement with various esoteric currents. I would say that the two key points mentioned in the text would be Surrealism as an Occult movement which portrays surrealism as more than just an artistic movement but also as an occult and esoteric endeavor. It suggests surrealists were deeply involved in and influenced by various occult traditions and practices. And the second key point is about the Exploration of various Esoteric topics where its text covers a wide range of esoteric subjects explored by surrealists, including myth, astrology, alchemy, magic, freemasonry, and voodoo. It suggests that surrealists approached these topics from diverse angles, seeking to uncover the "Marvelous." Interesting book to see the subject of Surrealism and Magic over a longer period of history. Recommended as well!

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Its even funnier if this isn't from ChatGPT

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
What do you mean? I am a person...like you are.

Thank you for this excellent reply. If I may, I would like to summarize it in two key points: First, you express bafflement at the question directed towards you. Lastly, you conclude with a vigorous assertion of your personhood and your commonality with other persons. Wonderful!
Post automatically merged:

Since @HoldAll insists that the thought of Andre Breton and surrealism is irrelevant to occultism I bump this thread

Last edited: