• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Archive] [the God-King] Creation of a Modern Defixio

A thread that was copied from the original Wizard Forums.

Yazata

Staff member
Sentinel
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards

On the day and in the hour of Mars, in a room lit by black candles and suffumigated by Martial incense, call first upon Mars by way of the Orphic Hymn dedicated unto him.

On a tablet of ceramic or clay, inscribe your curse, a product of your own creation written to express your desired end, while repeating it vocally.

When the tablet is completed, take it along with the remnants of the candle and ashes of the incense and an amount of graveyard dirt sufficient to cover the surface of the tablet, to the location selected so that no part of it is exposed.

Dig a hole 9 inches in depth. Place the tablet, candles, and incense ash therein, with the graveyard dirt covering the surface completely so that no part of it exposed.

Begin slowly filling in the "grave", while speaking the incantation:

Daimones under the earth and daimones whoever you may be, you who lie here and you who sit here, since you take men's grievous passion from their heart, take over the passion and hatred of N. which he has toward me, N. and his anger; and take away from him his strength and power and make him cold and speechless and breathless, apathetic toward me!

I invoke you by the great gods,
MASOMASIMABLABOIO MAMAXO EUMAZO ENDENEKOPTOURA MELOPHTHEMARAR AKOU RASROEEKAMADOR MACHTHOUDOURAS KITHORASA KEPHOZON,
the goddess
ACHTHAMODOIRALAR AKOU RAENT AKOU RALAR, ALAR OUECHEARMALAR KARAMEPTHE SISOCHOR ADONEIA
of the earth
CHOUCHMATHERPHES THERMOMASMAR ASMACHOURCHIMANOU PHILAESOSI
gods of the underworld, take over from N. the passion and anger they hold toward me, and hand him over to the doorkeeper in Hades,
MATHUREUPHRAMENOS,
and to the one who is appointed over the gate to Hades and the door bolts of heaven,
STERXERX ERER,
the earthshaker
ARDAMACHTOUR PRISGEU LAMPADEU,
and bury in the mournful grave the one whose name is written on this defixio which brings about silence. I invoke you the king of the unhearing, useeeing, and voiceless daimones. Hear the great name, for the great SISOCHOR rules over you, the ruler of the gates to Hades. Of my opponent N. bind and put to sleep the tongue, the passion and the anger he holds toward me lest he oppose me in any matter. I invoke you daimones - buried in a single grave, violently slain, untimely dead, not properly buried - by her who bursts forth from the earth and carries down into the grave the limbs of
MELIOUCHOS and MELIOUCHOS himself.
I inoke you by
ACHALEMORPHCPH
who is the only god of the the earth
OSOUS OSORONOPHIRS SERAPIS,
do whatever is written herein. O much lamented tomb and gods of the underworld and Hekate of the underworld and Heremes of the underworld and Plouton and the infernal Erinues and you who lie here below, untimely dead and unnamed,
EUMAZON,
take away the voice of he who is opposing me,
I deposit with you this charge and spell to make N. silent, and give over his name to the infernal gods.
ALLA ALKE KE ALKEO LALATHANATAO,
three-named Kore.
These shall always carry out my desires for me, for I know well their names. Awaken yourself for me, you who hold the infernal kingdom of all the Erinues.
I invoke you by the gods in Hades,
OUCHITOU,
the dispenser of of tombs,
AOTH IOMOS TIOIE IOEGOOEOIPHRI,
who in heaven rule the upper kingdom,
MIOTHILAMPS,
in heaven,
IAO, and in the kingdom under the earth,
SABLENIA IAO SABLEPHDAUBEN THANATOPOUTOER.
I invoke you,
BATHUMIA CHTHAORGOKORBRA ADIANAKKAKIABANE THENNANKRA.
I invoke you gods who were exposed by Kronos,
ABLANAHTALBA SISIPETRON,
take over N. the opponent of me,
OEANTCHERECHER BEBALLOSSALAKAMETHE,
and you, earthshaker, who holds the keys of Hades. Carry out for me this curse!

Here ends the curse. As always, for those who may have issues pronouncing these barbarous and Hellenic names I suggest doing what you did when you first learned how to talk: sound it out slowly.