• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

The Higher Self, soul, Atman & Brahman, the unconscious, etc.

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I wanna hear your views on this, surely folks will diverge in opinion with this stuff and I wanna hear yours 🦉

The higher self, is it us? Do we want to become it or ally with it? Is it already us? What can it do? What will it be it's involvement at our death? How is it involved with magic and astral projection? Is it even real? Are we real? Is it even worth asking?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
To my mind, the Higher Self is merely a NewAge affectation as well as an unnecessary complication. Who was writing your post? Your 'Lower Self', your 'Base Self', or heaven help us, your oh-so-yucky 'Ego'? Pondering one's alleged Higher Self is an invititation to wallow in excessive self-centeredness and solipsistic narcissism, in my opinion. Do we really need an idealized idea of ourselves divorced from our everyday consciousness? If you believe in it, fine, I for one find the concept useless (not the HGA though, for me it's an ineffable entity separate from me).

I think we should rather strive to work with what we can already perceive - our minds, befuddled as they may be, mysterious as they may seem. And yes, I'm firmly in the anatman camp: no self, no soul, and no Higher Self either. Keeps things nice and simple. ;)

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Holy Guardian Angel, from what I understand, would be similar to what was meant by "higher self" or "Soul".

I suppose you don't take much of a high view of working with the inpercievable unconscious then?
Everybody has their own ideas of the HGA, I like to conceive of it as a being assigned to me at birth that knows me inside out because it has been with me every moment of my life but is so much more than me, or even an idealized super-perfect version of me, so my idea of the HGA goes way beyond the Higher Self - after all, it is an angel, a supernatural entity and not just a deluxe edition version of myself.

I'm really paranoid about deceiving myself (perhaps that was why my reaction to your post was so harsh and hostile) so I don't see myself trusting any communications that suddenly arrive in my head. I confess I tried a couple of times to speak with my HGA but the conversation was rather forced; I kept 'hearing' the voices of people I know and its answers were in line with my current thinking, so I quickly discounted those attempts as invalid. It may be also because I'm still a beginner and not advanced enough for such work, dunno.

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
way beyond the Higher Self
Itzhak Bentov had a view of the cosmos and the Higher Self that I enjoy; he places the Higher Self as the monad, the 'end result' that comes to "know itself" through this process of evolution and incarnation. In that regard it wouldn't be possible for anything to be above it because it is the nameless unspeakable Tao, everything, Brahman and such.

Though some people also use it to refer to the Astral body, I'm personally inclined to follow the emenation all the way up to Keter.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
To my mind, the Higher Self is merely a NewAge affectation as well as an unnecessary complication. Who was writing your post? Your 'Lower Self', your 'Base Self', or heaven help us, your oh-so-yucky 'Ego'? Pondering one's alleged Higher Self is an invititation to wallow in excessive self-centeredness and solipsistic narcissism, in my opinion. Do we really need an idealized idea of ourselves divorced from our everyday consciousness? If you believe in it, fine, I for one find the concept useless (not the HGA though, for me it's an ineffable entity separate from me).

I think we should rather strive to work with what we can already perceive - our minds, befuddled as they may be, mysterious as they may seem. And yes, I'm firmly in the anatman camp: no self, no soul, and no Higher Self either. Keeps things nice and simple. ;)
I think the "Higher Self" is, like, what the Superego wants to be what it grows up. Or maybe it's the Unconscious after a complete makeover. In any event, like you, I am allergic to theosophical vapors.

Mars

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I wanna hear your views on this, surely folks will diverge in opinion with this stuff and I wanna hear yours 🦉

The higher self, is it us? Do we want to become it or ally with it? Is it already us? What can it do? What will it be it's involvement at our death? How is it involved with magic and astral projection? Is it even real? Are we real? Is it even worth asking?

You can read the Bhagavad-Gita and get a good introduction and explanation to it. You already know the term Atman and Brahman so that's much of the legwork.

Atman is the supra soul. and Brahman is the creator of this Universe. But not the absolute. It's an extend of the absolute. A part of the absolute through Brahman is within your human aggregate since he created this Universe. Alongside is is the apparent soul that determines caste and is the one likely to dissolve upon death unless Moksha is reached.

However there are many Brahman, each one governs a Universe of its own. Our Universe is the smallest one and approximately 155 Trillion years old.

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
You can read the Bhagavad-Gita
I already have, several times, and the Upanishads, they're staple holy-texts for me with the Diamond Sutra and Laṅkāvatāra Sūtra. I wasn't asking out of ignorance, just curious what your personal opinions are.

Our Universe is the smallest one and approximately 155 Trillion years old.
How did you find this out?
Post automatically merged:

I think the "Higher Self" is, like, what the Superego wants to be what it grows up. Or maybe it's the Unconscious after a complete makeover. In any event, like you, I am allergic to theosophical vapors.
I'm curious, what do you believe you are? Just a body-mind system? Is magic just done through that system communicating with other beings? You don't believe in some kind of animating diving spark or Holy Guardian Angel?

Mars

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I already have, several times, and the Upanishads, they're staple holy-texts for me with the Diamond Sutra and Laṅkāvatāra Sūtra. I wasn't asking out of ignorance, just curious what your personal opinions are.

That's great and commendable! There aren't many (surprisingly) that spend their time with spiritual stuff and actually read them. People rather read up new age bogus and similar and call it a day.

Let alone, most didn't even heard of them. Which is sad and annoying actually.

How did you find this out?

The lifespan of this universe is 100 years of brahman, thats the lifetime of a (or our) brahman, we are currently in the ~51 ish year of brahman. You can look it up or ask an AI how to calculate vedic time back to our (christian) time. Our Earth is 4.32 Billion years old and has another 4.31 Billion or so to go until it gets destroyed by fire or so, possibly swallowed by the sun.

Some suggest Hindu units of time have been altered at some point, but outside of the age of the universe, all values given in them align with what we rediscovered today. (Besides the other things that has not an equal today yet) So probably the universe is really that old. Would make sense.

But what should actually be taken away from all this that we shouldn't waste time preparing for an end of the world or whatever, how the Abrahamists constantly do (their religion is just waiting until everything is destroyed) but see how we can fully experience all this since we can live millions of times before its over. (To start again though)

I always say that science is just the vedas for very foolish and dumb people. As they regularly come to the same conclusion as the vedas do.

Most scientists of old read the vedas and then came up with quantum theory, nuclear fission and jet engines and similar but scientists of today are just ignorant leftwing idiots that do everything the government tells them to and don't acknowledge anything.

Laraby

Neophyte
Reaction score
Author Anthony Peake has some great books and writes about the Daemon (our everyday, lower selves) and the Eidolon (our Higher Selves).
According to him, the Eidolon is with us from our previous reincarnations and remembers them and has learnt from them and tries to guide us.....
if we are open to it and try to listen....

Sabbatius

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
The HGA, in my opinion, is the Ideal. As Nietzsche stated was the "Ubermensch" or the "Dionysian Ideal". Granted there is a lot to read in between the lines of Nietzsche but I hope the basic understanding is there.