• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion The King in Yellow - Robert W. Chambers

Talk about a book(s)

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I enjoy Lovecraft's fiction but I've never consciously used it as the basis of a working, though The Haunter of the Dark, especially, can prompt some interesting psychic shifts as it's being read. I'm always impressed by how The Case of Charles Dexter Ward hints at the scale and grandeur involved in a work of total self-transformation. I said "consciously used" because I did, in February 2009 e.v., have an experience which might sound as though it slithered from the pages of Lovecraft.

There is a collection of short stories by Robert W. Chambers called The King in Yellow which is the primary influence for Lovecraft's 'Necronomicon'. In Chambers' stories, 'The King in Yellow' is a play which, heard in its entirety, causes all manner of changes, mostly involving the hearer taking a turn towards total insanity. There are four stories by Chambers concerned with this play and, of course, he only gives excepts from the play, never the whole thing.

In February of 2009 I had a friend who was dying of cancer at an horrendously young age. Her mother had recently died too and her mother's house, in the far North of England, not far from the border with Scotland, was due to be sold. My friend really didn't have the energy to go up there and organise the various works and meetings that were needed, so I went for her. I got to the house and realised that the heating had been shut off for much of the winter. It was still very cold at that time of year and the house was freezing and damp. After hours of trying to find a way of getting the boiler to work, I gave up and thought I'd check into a hotel. I then found an old, portable electric heater and, while leaving much to be desired, thought I could just take it from room to room with me and make the best of things. The first night was a pretty miserable one but I eventually slept. The second night (very rainy, even by British standards), after a day of dealing with estate agents, I went to bed early and finished reading Gary Lachman's book on the 1960s. I had another book on the Haight-Ashbury lined up; I had deliberately chosen books that looked towards a sunnier time and place. In short, the time and place that I was experiencing were very bleak indeed.

Instead of the book on the Haight-Ashbury, I started reading The King in Yellow. I was initially confused by the first story, 'The Repairer of Reputations', but as I read, I began to understand what was going on in the story, that something was being apprehended by those who read the play and that something was changing them. I was intrigued enough to keep reading. By the time I finished reading the first story, a kind of transference from the book occurred where I realised that I was beginning to apprehend a presence in the room with me. At this time, I was very much a Traditional Satanist and apprehending presences in my own house was not uncommon, but this felt different. I put it down to imagination and kept reading. This was a mistake. That sense of presence became stronger and stronger across the course of the night and I realised that it wasn't "in the room" with me, it wasn't bound by geometry in that way but it was "here". Again I kept reading and by the time I finished the third story, I remember saying aloud to myself "You're feeding this thing and you need to stop". I didn't. I finished the fourth story and by then the presence was so palpable that I knew I wasn't imagining it. I remember thinking that if I said something else aloud, chaos would follow. It was only one o'clock and I realised with my heart beating like a drum that I had hours of this ahead before sunrise. To challenge myself for being so utterly childish, I forced myself to say aloud "If there's someone here, tell me who you are".

I don't know to this day if that was the stressor that caused my imagination to bleed into my consciousness in an hallucination; I had been under immense stress and sadness before I even came to the bleakest house in the world and read an insidious book. I don't know if I fell asleep and dreamt. I don't know if it was real. A tall figure floated through the open bedroom door wearing a green toga. The "head" was normal sized though it wasn't a head but a sun and on the face of the sun was a beaming smile that communicated genuine delight. Being in the presence of this thing felt like I could see the perimeters of my mind changing. I remember nothing else but when I did wake up, late in the morning, the power in the house was down.

Over the years, when I think back on that night, I see reading The King in Yellow had been an unconscious working. I had engaged in magic simply by reading it.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I had engaged in magic simply by reading it.
The best kind of magic in my opinion, when you don't need rituals, tools, chants and etc.
When you can just interact with art in whatever shape it comes(in this case, through a book of a story).

Some people don't take art seriously as a way to practice magic, and to those people I only say "sucks to be them".
But again, didn't you know the kind of book that it was before getting to read it?Don't books have small excerpts about what they are in the backside of them?

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
The play is said to be in two acts; the first act is, by itself, quite banal, but sets you up for the second act which is what drives you to insanity.

My idea is that the play is supposed to be in three acts and the third act is missing. This is because it is supposed to be a summoning ritual. The first act is the preparation, the second is the summoning, and the third act would be the banishing. Because there is no banishing, the King in Yellow is free to wreak havoc with the mortals foolish enough to summon him.

"No mask? No mask??"

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

dunno what Mr. Ramsay is going for, but there very much is a third story, dare i say act- The court of the dragon

love Trivium's rendition obviously one or more of them got hooked hard to bring this audio/visual gem

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
But again, didn't you know the kind of book that it was before getting to read it?Don't books have small excerpts about what they are in the backside of them?
All I knew was that it had a reputation and that it had influenced Lovecraft. I had no idea that it was as insidious as it was or that it was powerful. By then I'd read a number of the books generally thought verboten and I'd come away thinking "is that it?" And so I picked it up with characteristic overconfidence.

I should compile a list of "Dangerous Books". The King in Yellow would be on there.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I got ensnared by The King in Yellow as a kid after reading "The Repairer of Reputations" and "The Yellow Sign" in an anthology (Chaosium's The Hastur Cycle). I wanted more. This was pre-Amazon and if I wanted to get a copy of The King in Yellow I had to order one through the bookstore and convince my mom to pay for the fairly pricey book that arrived. It was bound in yellow cloth and plainly adorned- it definitely felt like I'd gotten some cursed tome. Even though most of the stories in the collection were unrelated to the title figure, I found the additional material was worth the trouble. There really isn't anything quite like those stories/ poems, not even in Chambers' own work as far as I can tell (what I've read of his other weird fiction is extremely uneven). There was definitely something quite otherworldly and inexplicable being glimpsed/ revealed through them. None of the Cthulhu Mythos tributes to Chambers that I've seen really come close (though James Blish's "More Light," in the aforementioned Hastur Cycle, is an interesting attempt to render the play itself). The King in Yellow and the world he inhabits are just too weird, too dreamy, to sit comfortably in that cosmic horror scene. I can't think of any piece of literature that's hit me quite the same way- the closest may be some other vaguely decadent/ dangerous works, like Maldoror, A Rebours, some of Machen's tales- but really Chambers tapped into something unique.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
dunno what Mr. Ramsay is going for, but there very much is a third story, dare i say act- The court of the dragon
I was talking about the play "The King In Yellow" which the book is about, but is only alluded to in the actual book. Like Lovecraft and the Necronomicon.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I was talking about the play "The King In Yellow" which the book is about, but is only alluded to in the actual book. Like Lovecraft and the Necronomicon.
So I can forget ordering it from Amazon? I actually started to look till I saw the caveat here.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
The stories are really good, and it was clearly an influence on Lovecraft, but there is no insanity causing play contained within 🙂