• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] The rose in magic and mysticism?

Someone's asking for help!

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that "bead" comes from the Gothic "bida"---to request. And THAT comes from the proto-Indo European "gwhedh"---to ask for. OK, OK, damnit. That's not off the top of my head. I just googled etymonline dot com. I'm plagiarizing even as I type. But the info is apparently true. Remember the slightly archaic English "bid" meaning ask, the German "Gebet" for a prayer.
yes, I learned what I posted from etymonline also (or, I read it in passing somewhere else and checked etymonline for confirmation because 80% of etymology facts people share are fake)

but "bead" as a word meaning "wooden or stone sphere with hole in it that you put a string through" comes from the 14th century (as per etymonline). and beads, the actual objects, go back to the neolithic era. So, what did English speakers call wooden or stone spheres with holes in them that you put a string through in the 13th century? That's what I haven't been able to find out

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
yes, I learned what I posted from etymonline also (or, I read it in passing somewhere else and checked etymonline for confirmation because 80% of etymology facts people share are fake)

but "bead" as a word meaning "wooden or stone sphere with hole in it that you put a string through" comes from the 14th century (as per etymonline). and beads, the actual objects, go back to the neolithic era. So, what did English speakers call wooden or stone spheres with holes in them that you put a string through in the 13th century? That's what I haven't been able to find out
Probably "a-wooden-ball-with-a-hole-in-it?" Seems unwieldy. The German word for bead might contain a hint, "Perle." It's the same as the word for pearl. Freshwater pears are (or were) pretty common in northern Europe. In ancient times I know a lot of countries made fake cowries as decorations. Beads might've started out the same way. Unfortunalely, "Perle"/"pearl" is from Latin. So we're back to asking: what'd the old-timers call pearly before they adopted the Latin word c. 1200?