• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

This Stuff is Really Good!

Asteriskos

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
German MULLED Gluhwein (Glow Wine)!!!

How to pronounce Glühwein?

“Glühwein” is hard to say as an English speaker because the “ü” is a sound
not readily heard or pronounced. To get close enough, you could say “Glue”
(like what you use on paper) and vine (like a vine of grapes).
So, literally it’s Glue-vine… but the ü is much more drawn out.

RECIPE:

What You Need to Make This Recipe

Ingredients:

1 bottle of red wine
1 orange (sliced)
1 lemon (sliced, optional)
2-3 cinnamon sticks
15 whole cloves
5 whole star aniseed
sugar (white or brown)
vanilla sugar or bean vanilla pod (optional)

Note: you don’t need to be super exact when making this recipe.
If you use 12 cloves instead of 15, for example, it’s not a big deal.
Add more or less of everything to taste.

That's it, I'm out of recipes till I drink some More of this Stuff!

Disclaimer: Don't Drink and Drive or... Operate Dangerous Machinery, you have been Warned!

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Say a long /i:/ sound, like the "ee" in "peel." Then purse your lips round like you're sucking a straw.

Then use the straw you practiced on to sauf' up the Wein. Keep one hand grasping table edge in case of wine-induced gravity-storms.

Asteriskos

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Say a long /i:/ sound, like the "ee" in "peel." Then purse your lips round like you're sucking a straw.

Then use the straw you practiced on to sauf' up the Wein. Keep one hand grasping table edge in case of wine-induced gravity-storms.
Nah, Never do that, take an enormous pull, savor the flavor, then swallow, repeat till the grog is Gone!

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Nah, Never do that, take an enormous pull, savor the flavor, then swallow, repeat till the grog is Gone!
Actually what he meant :) "Saufen" is a German verb that means "to drink greedily" - a bit like 'quaff'. The food equivalent is 'fressen' which basically means to eat like an animal :)

Asteriskos

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Actually what he meant :) "Saufen" is a German verb that means "to drink greedily" - a bit like 'quaff'. The food equivalent is 'fressen' which basically means to eat like an animal :)
Taking an "Enormous Pull" qualifies as Greedy in My Book, Savoring the Flavor is a "bit" more refined, as far as eating, I forgot to mention this goes really well with Shepard's Pie! :)
Post automatically merged:

Taking an "Enormous Pull" qualifies as Greedy in My Book, Savoring the Flavor is a "bit" more refined, as far as eating, I forgot to mention this goes really well with Shepard's Pie! :)
@Robert Ramsay et @Xenophon,
I can't recommend the combination of these two delicacies "Enough!".
Also, quite enjoy exchanges like this! I "Knew" there was something I like about you guys! After all, we All have "Some redeeming qualities", Yes? :cool:

Last edited:

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards

@Robert Ramsay et @Xenophon,
I can't recommend the combination of these two delicacies "Enough!".
Also, quite enjoy exchanges like this! I "Knew" there was something I like about you guys! After all, we All have "Some redeeming qualities", Yes? :cool:
Can one be a refined slob? I tend to take large mouthfuls ("mouthsful"?), then savor the hogshead in this hog's head.

Shepherd's pie? I have found that Glühwein goes well with more Glühwein. That and trying to solo "In fernem Land..."

Asteriskos

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Can one be a refined slob? I tend to take large mouthfuls ("mouthsful"?), then savor the hogshead in this hog's head.

Shepherd's pie? I have found that Glühwein goes well with more Glühwein. That and trying to solo "In fernem Land..."
It's good stuff. The reason I posted the recipe here is that where we live they only market it commercially between say mid-November, and if you're Lucky, through the end of Yule (Tide). So... against my Wife's better judgement, I started making it for us and friends, Now She believes. Yes, one Can be a "refined" slob, I embody that when applicable! Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is all I have to "augment" the auditory sense. :love:

Just tried something in preparation for the upcoming "season". Instead of just any old Red Wine, I used some E &J Gallo Sangria!
The only variation from the original recipe is the Red Wine / Sangria substitution, if you have citrus fruit, why not still use it.
Man it's Really Good! That may also be Why I tend to make so Many "typos"! (y)

N.B. Sangria is Sweetened Red Wine with Orange and Lemon, plus "soda water". Gallo is "California Red".

Last edited: