• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Thoughts on Mormonisim

Reaction score
Awards
Its always kinda looked like a scam to me tbh. What do you guys think?
No experience with modern day Mormonism but i do like the theory that Joseph Smith was a ceremonial magician. I think John King did a decent interview on the topic. But yeah LDS probably mostly scam.

-Eld

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Try reading their "Book of Mormon." Like Mark Twain remarked, "If it left out the phrase 'And it came to pass,' the thing would be a pamphlet." Uninspired inspired text, as it were. Still and all we would do well to remember the exchange between Woodrow and Gus in Lonesome Dove. Woodrow: "Them Mormon's are strange folks. They got a prophet who an angel gave this Holy Book to, see?" Gus:"Oh. Just like all them other churches."

Gregorius

Neophyte
Reaction score
Try reading their "Book of Mormon." Like Mark Twain remarked, "If it left out the phrase 'And it came to pass,' the thing would be a pamphlet." Uninspired inspired text, as it were. Still and all we would do well to remember the exchange between Woodrow and Gus in Lonesome Dove. Woodrow: "Them Mormon's are strange folks. They got a prophet who an angel gave this Holy Book to, see?" Gus:"Oh. Just like all them other churches."
Mostly agree but i was more asking if their religion has ang legitamacy in the occult sense

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
To me it looks like another religion made-up so those who created it will have control over easilly swayed people.

And of course, as with most monotheistic religions, the male figure is the one in power with the female figure relegated to a subservient position(rather than as equals), which is used as an excuse for women to not have power.
And yeah, the whole harem thing is off-putting, specially if it is true that it seems common for way older men to pick way younger women(if not outright children).

i was more asking if their religion has ang legitamacy in the occult sense
Maybe, maybe not, as religion tends to be a personal thing that may or may not affect an individual.I, as an atheist(or agnostic, or irreligious...labels are confusing sometimes), see this specific religion
as no different than Scientology, in the sense that it has no real spiritual or "occult" value and it is mostly the same as with a cult, a means for few to lord over many with the excuse of their god on their lips.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Mostly agree but i was more asking if their religion has ang legitamacy in the occult sense
No more than any other Nazarene creed. I have never heard of any Mormon mystic of stature. I'm from Montana and have spent a lot of time in the West where there are more Mormons than prairie dogs (including some cousins of mine.) There are various splinter groups of Mormons back in the hills and out in the desert. Magick does not seem to be much of a sideline. Mormonism's roots in the Second Great Awakening tends to act an an innoculation against magick. Joseph Smith wrote a lot about "the Spirit" (Holy Spirit.) But said spirit seems to have been the peculiar property of the Church's "prophet," and not for popular evocation.

Ziran

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Everything revolving around Abrahamic Religions are/ is a scam.

Everything? Good grief. Thanks for letting me know. Murder, Rape, Theft, and Lying... my favorite vices are back on the menu!

^^ Sarcasm ^^
Post automatically merged:

Mormons are the best resource / repository of information regarding the untied cultural and spritiual roots of the polynesian peoples. That's pretty cool.

The other stuff? I'm not a fan.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Everything? Good grief. Thanks for letting me know. Murder, Rape, Theft, and Lying... my favorite vices are back on the menu!

^^ Sarcasm ^^
Post automatically merged:

Mormons are the best resource / repository of information regarding the untied cultural and spritiual roots of the polynesian peoples. That's pretty cool.

The other stuff? I'm not a fan.
Do you mean the Mormons actually researched the peoples in question? Or did they just make room for them in the Mormon mythos? The Mormons have some novel notions about Native American origins for instance, but those notions are pretty much an Evidence Lite mind-beverage.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Mostly agree but i was more asking if their religion has any legitamacy in the occult sense
IMO most of the monotheistic religions divide into two parts: 1) A moral code (don't murder, don't sleep with your sister etc.) and 2) a half-assed way to do magic to 'make things happen'.

Intent: "oh God please smite my enemies for me if it please your worship" (a lot of chance of your intent being replaced by "gee, I hope this works")
Representation of intent: lighting candles for intent, praying to pictures pasted on a board etc.
Gnosis: maybe you work yourself into a frenzy, maybe you do it the quiet meditation way (see individual sect for details)
Forget about it: "It's God's will"

They don't normally teach it as a magical sequence, so it's even more fragile than usual. Most people will end up missing out one or more steps, because they don't realise that magic is what they are doing.