• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Thoughts on the validity of aromatherapy and MONQ

CKARMA10

Visitor
Reaction score
Awards
I ran across something called MONQ the other day, which brought up a few interesting questions I've had from the past. First off, what are yall's thoughts on aromatherapy?

Is aromatherapy useful, or just a fad? And if it is useful, is MONQ similarly useful, or does it invalidate aromatherapy due to heating the oils?

Nicolas Flamel

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I've heard about it, but I wouldn't place too much faith into it, plus monq is quite overpriced. I don't doubt aromatherapy can have its uses but you won't really know unless you try it out. If you do let us know.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
I think aromatherapy is useful, at least from a mental state point of view. The right smell can put your mind in a certain state, remind of a past memory (or trauma), etc. It's not magic, but more a psychological thing (but if it works, it works!).

dragonmagus

Neophyte
Reaction score
Scents are nice for moods I guess, but scents like sage, palo etc and myrrh etc I can feel a strong purpose. I've never experienced a scent like in aromatherapy doing much but if it works for someone, that's good.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Scents are nice for moods I guess, but scents like sage, palo etc and myrrh etc I can feel a strong purpose. I've never experienced a scent like in aromatherapy doing much but if it works for someone, that's good.
Myrrh and coral both have a strong effect on me. Most resins actually.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I've actually never heard of MONQ- What is it?

When it comes to plain old aromatherapy, it has its place for me. I am naturally smell-oriented, and smelling something- no matter what it is- often helps ground and calm me. Even something as simple as hugging my dog and smelling that "puppy must" is comforting, even if that sounds kinda gross.

Do I put much stock in it to cure every ailment or whatever? No. But if I want to unwind a bit, or if I'm in a bad mood, I may light a scented candle just for the calming effect of it. Or if I'm about to go take a big test, having one of those essential oil bracelets is good as a tool to keep from getting nervous. Just something to help pull myself back into the here and now, whenever I get too wrapped up in my own thoughts and it's not good. There's also this plant I grow called epazote, that I have in my garden solely because its strong odor brings up memories of my dad. Almost like a scent-powered time machine.

Irish Bard

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
In some ways aromatherapy could be considered a light/basic form of alchemy. Of course there are some very talented aromatherapists who create their own unique blends that are capable of creating highly emotional and almost hypnotic states. That's the point where you're going beyond workday aromatherapy into something else...