• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion Three Books of Occult Philosophy - Purdue vs. Tyson

Talk about a book(s)

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
This is the first time I have heard of Purdue, and I am very interested to see this new edition. It looks a bit pricey but I will keep it on my list. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
I have used Tyson for years, to the point of my original Llewellyn softcover falling apart. I have also greatly benefited from the notes and appreciate DT's hard work in compiling them. However, there is one chapter which just stops - a missing page - which I keep forgetting to seek out in other sources. I am aware of criticisms of Tysons Three Books, so it would be nice to compare. I was made aware of his probable misidentification of the translator "JF" as "James Freake" by Alison Butler, who based her one her research papers on Renaissance Magic on Tyson's work. It would be nice to see a direct-from-Latin version, hopefully as stacked with updated footnotes.
Thanks again.

vetriol

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
This is the first time I have heard of Purdue, and I am very interested to see this new edition. It looks a bit pricey but I will keep it on my list. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
I have used Tyson for years, to the point of my original Llewellyn softcover falling apart. I have also greatly benefited from the notes and appreciate DT's hard work in compiling them. However, there is one chapter which just stops - a missing page - which I keep forgetting to seek out in other sources. I am aware of criticisms of Tysons Three Books, so it would be nice to compare. I was made aware of his probable misidentification of the translator "JF" as "James Freake" by Alison Butler, who based her one her research papers on Renaissance Magic on Tyson's work. It would be nice to see a direct-from-Latin version, hopefully as stacked with updated footnotes.
Thanks again.
Curious about thoughts and opinions between the two translations. Which is better?
Aways D Tyson's translation.

frsfmcs

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
People say the Purdue one is more accurate than the Tyson version, but in the same time its pricy. I don't really like people who sell kindles for 100$. So I guess I will be a bit biased when I will recommend the black letter press version for a hardcover. 😊

neilwilkes

Apprentice
Reaction score
Having copies of both in hardcover, I can absolutely assure everyone that Eric Purdue's translation is not only superior to Tyson's in every way, it is also much better annotated/footnoted as well, as he gives every source Agrippa used.
He also corrects a LOT of mistakes in other editions - Tyson is plainly better than Robert French' translation but stiull not a patch on the new one.
Finally, the hardcover edition is a beautiful set to have as well - one day I might buy the PDF version, but physical books will become invaluable when the modern Electrical age ends some time in the 2040's, if not sooner, when our collapsing magnetic field allows a mere low X-class flare to take out all the worldwide power grids and this will be followed by a superflare (or a Micronova) before 2050, probably around the next Sunspot Cycle peak.
You have all been warned

tranmut3

Neophyte
Reaction score
Having copies of both in hardcover, I can absolutely assure everyone that Eric Purdue's translation is not only superior to Tyson's in every way, it is also much better annotated/footnoted as well, as he gives every source Agrippa used.
He also corrects a LOT of mistakes in other editions - Tyson is plainly better than Robert French' translation but stiull not a patch on the new one.
Finally, the hardcover edition is a beautiful set to have as well - one day I might buy the PDF version, but physical books will become invaluable when the modern Electrical age ends some time in the 2040's, if not sooner, when our collapsing magnetic field allows a mere low X-class flare to take out all the worldwide power grids and this will be followed by a superflare (or a Micronova) before 2050, probably around the next Sunspot Cycle peak.
You have all been warned
thanks for your comments, was just hoping someone would run a comparision between the 2 versions.