• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Report Uncle Setnakt's Essential Guide to the Left Hand Path by Don Webb

A post detailing the poster's experience/thoughts with a book.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Uncle Setnakt's Essential Guide to the Left Hand Path by Don Webb

Having recently finished reading this book, I decided to write a summary of it which is open to discussion. Having followed discussions in this forum for over a year, I believe that there is confusion regarding what it means to follow the Left Hand Path. Furthermore, those who hold pet notions about LHP are unlikely to read a copy of this book, which is unfortunate.

Uncle Setnakt is, of course, Don Webb. Earlier this year I started a review thread on his most recent book, How to Become a Modern Magus. I was unfamiliar with Webb's work at the time, definitely not a fanboy. My initially positive interest in that book soon turned negative, but I persisted in reading it. There was something to it that kept me going in spite of the irritating "current year" vibe of his writing. I think it would be better to leave further discussion of that book to its thread, but I'll conclude by saying that I did buy a physical copy of it.

Thankfully, Uncle Setnakt's Essential Guide to the Left Hand Path is a highly informative and to-the-point discussion of what it means to be a Lord or Sovereign of one's own destiny. This is a book of change that starts with knowing oneself, and it assumes that success only comes from doing the work needed to attain success. But what does it mean to be a Sovereign?

"The basis of the Left Hand Path is that humans are but machines, but may in potential become gods." Webb then discusses all the opposing forces that must be overcome to reach this goal. Everything must be challenged because "the forces that oppose the will are habits of blind obedience to external symbols and signals." We have been programmed like good little automatons. How does that make you feel? "Our likes have been prepackaged and sold to us for many years."

Webb recommends antinomianism, at least in the beginning. Antinomianism in this sense is defined as the belief that moral laws are relative in meaning and application as opposed to fixed or universal. One rejects what others call 'normal' or 'good.' Culture crystalizes notions of what is normal around doing certain things in particular ways that made sense for that situation and time. Times change and ways of doing things that once made sense are turned into dogma by the dominant culture, but objectively they may no longer make sense or even may be harmful. I think now, even more than when Webb wrote this book, traditional norms are being questioned by so many around the world, but imagine how big a shock it was for people to form a Church of Satan less than 60 years ago. Now, I'm not saying that the LHP is, or should automatically be, equated with Satanism, and Webb does discuss this more later in the book, but antinomianism is intended to cause something of a shock for an energetic purpose. So, for example, as a symbolic gesture the person who was raised in a fundamentalism church declares that they have become a Satanist. Webb writes, "This antinomian stance ... draws the most fire from the public, because it is a reminder to the sleepers that they could awaken, and such reminders are always painful."

The LHP initiate desires to exert sovereign power in the world around them. It is here we begin to see the difference between what is often perceived as a selfish path and the true potential of the LHP. "The desire to help out people comes from the refinement of the emotions. Most people begin the Left Hand Path in a state of disillusionment and rebellion. They want to be boss rather than be bossed." However, the LHP Initiate is developing personal strength and self knowledge in order to personally awaken. While avoiding sentimentality, personal awakening can lead to assisting others to awaken also, if they are so inclined.

Webb discusses four self-fears that we all face:

1. Fear of the unknown impulse
2. Fear of the future
3. Fear of wasted time
4. Fear of the unverifiable

"To change the Self, you must first know what the Self is, and where the pressures can be applied to achieve change. The magical self consists of four levels of dynamism, each with its own properties. They are the surface level, the medial level, the core level, and the daemonic level."

"The surface level is the activities of the here-and-now."
"The medial level is the area most subject to programming. It is the part of the self where goals, dreams, habits, and desires lay. The human being is constantly full of notions, usually unexamined, about what he or she would like to do and 'should' do."
"The core level of dynamism is the unchangeable part of the Self. It exists as an absolute pattern for potential."
"The daemonic level of activity is that experience that associated you with what are vaguely called 'magic currents.' This part of ourselves, which is as ununified and semi-sleeping as the others, is the part of ourselves that acts upon the Cosmos, and is acted upon by entities in the Cosmos on a magical level."

Webb then describes the same four levels as they exist in the Cosmos. This is similar to the classic teaching that man is a microcosm within the macrocosm. At the "core level" of the Cosmos, Webb writes, "The Left Hand Path posits that its patron, the Prince of Darkness, is the ultimate source of patterns and potentialities, is the core level of the Cosmos. The Prince of Darkness chooses to be a finite being, so that It may enjoy its individuality. Unlike the all-powerful, all-encompassing being that the Right Hand Path would envision as God, the Prince of Darkness chose on a Cosmic level what those who would grow like him choose on a human level -- the principle of Self-development."

This is all for now. Next time I'll attempt to summarize Webb's take on Initiation.
Post automatically merged:

Uncle Setnakt says, "Initiation is the process of self change." But he goes on to say that initiation may be called "the process of thinking the right thought at the right time." He divides it into stages of development:

Wandering is the phase of gathering knowledge in life randomly, often taking on beliefs at face value.

Shock
comes next as the potential Initiate discovers the falsity of appearances. The world is not as he believed.

Daydreaming is a regression into a fantasy world as the initiate begins to rebuild a life following a shock. People at this stage ask, "What if?"

Shock comes again if the potential Initiate is lucky enough to discover the Great Possibilities of the occult. Can he maintain a balance of skepticism and open-mindedness to deeper understandings of how the world works without falling prey to obsessions?

School will be the path of learning these deeper understandings.

Shock, again, because the seeker learns that Teachers are fallible too. Will the Initiate, having come this far, fail because of the weaknesses of others?

Finally, there is Work. The Initiate knows that ultimate responsibility for his life depends on his actions. Furthermore, the Initiate prepares "for the shock of death and the states beyond."

The Vices of Initiation are Narcissism, Hubris, Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies, Despair, Attachment to the Thoughts of Another, Obsession with Magic, and Emotional Servitude.

I'll clarify "Attachment" mentioned above. This is a danger in which the Initiate, having in the past taken on beliefs at random, becomes overly attached to the first coherent thought system he encounters. For example, Crowley's life work may provide such an apparently comprehensive school of occult thinking that the Initiate will ignore all other possibilities. Or it could be the Golden Dawn, or Gurdjieff. Knowledge of any one of these is encouraged, but not to the exclusion of the wider occult world.

The Virtues of Initiation are Magical Curiosity, Quantifiable Pride, Sense of Humor, Openness, Moderation, Synthesis, and Cunning.

Then Uncle Setnakt discusses The Nature of Magic, essentially what it takes to manifest what you want. If you want to "achieve goals that normal channels of communication won't allow," then you use Metacommunication. If you wish to manipulate the physical matter around you to accomplish "miracles," then you use Sorcery. If you wish to use words or symbols which cause manifestations, then you make Sigils. Divination is the skill by which one sees whether one's life path is optimal. Then there is Initiatory Magic, which Webb defines as, "the Creating/Preserving of a desired Perception. ... Initiatory magic is changing oneself to give the desired traits a foothold in the darkness of the psyche. It is like planting a seed."

Then Webb explains his view of the differences, historically and currently, between the Left Hand Path and the Right Hand Path. I'll grant that it represents his political and religious views, and certainly those on the Right Hand Path will not appreciate many of his assertions. "God is seen as static," Webb writes of the RHP, "and salvation comes from achieving a similar static state, whether it is the constant adoration of the Christian heaven, or the selfless contemplation of the Buddhist Nirvana." I would simply suggest that one thoughtfully avoid an emotional reaction to his statements, considering their merits and possible counterarguments.

Next time, whenever that time shall be, I'll have a look through Chapter Two, "Practice."

Last edited:

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I read the book a couple of months ago. My reaction was roughly similar to yours. Webb annoys the hell out of me, BUT then he goes and drops a nugget that keeps me reading. There are better LHP sources out there, still he's an accessible portal.