• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Using occult iconography in art

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
This is one of three art threads I'm going to make in the next couple of days. This deals with using sigils and other symbols in artwork. The second thread will be able using neural networking to do edge/style detection on one image and applying it to a second image with some pretty damn cool effects. The third will have to do with neural network generated sigils (specifically GAN - Generative Adversarial Network). Hiding symbols in art has been done for thousands of years.

I've been doing 3d and fractal art for decades now. I mostly use e-on software's Vue for 3d (I like doing landscapes), and for fractals my favorite is JWildfire, but I also use Mandelbulb3D and Fractorium. I'm going to concentrate on fractals for this thread.

For the past couple of years, I've been working on incorporating sigils and other symbols into my artwork. I originally started with the sigil of Baphomet and weird things kept happening. I was sick all of the time, and nothing for work or life seemed to go right. Related? Self-fulfilling? I'm not sure, but I do know something weird was going on. To change my mindset, I chose another sigil. I primarily use the sigil for Paimon right now. I mean, who wouldn't want to know some secrets, right?

For the record, this is the sigil graphic I am using

I'm hosting these in Imgur right now. You may have to click on them and then click again on the Imgur site to view it large enough.

So on to it!

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Also done in Mandelbulb3d, same sigil as a height map but instead of extruding, we're basically carving into the solid portion. It also has a lot of yellow, which is a color associated with Paimon. Each of these also has a personal bind rune, just to juice it up a little more.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I don't encode messages of any kind in my commercial art pieces unless a client specifically asks me to. However, I sometimes do in personal/passion art projects.

Nowadays with software, programatic, computational and generative options for creating artworks, the posibilities are endless. As you have already described with the fractal and height-map type creations, so there are many, many more ways to incorporate sigils and other occult iconography in art.

From steganographic methods to literally implementing it in parts of your actual code.... the possibilities are endless.

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
This next one uses the same sigil image, but it's being used as a displacement map instead of a colormap. You can't tell that the sigil was used, but it's responsible for a lot of the end result. This was also done in JWildfire.

To the trained eye, is there a way to tell that a sigil was used in this one? I can't find a hint of it anywhere.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
To the trained eye, is there a way to tell that a sigil was used in this one? I can't find a hint of it anywhere.
Not really. In this case, being used as a displacement map, it was further distorted beyond being able to see it by eye. For example, the oval in the middle is due to the circle in the sigil.