• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Visionary Magic

Someone's asking for help!
Reaction score
Awards
Several schools teach this. Core Shamanism utilizes it. Ceremonial Magic utilizes it. Low Magick utilizes it to a degree. Religion utilizes it. Witchcraft utilizes it. Pathworking utilizes it. Meditation utilizes it.

So why are there less materials on it?
Quareia seems to utilize it heavily. Golden Dawn related books utilize it.

So ... What books are best on visionary magic? Does it work on people who have trouble visualizing (especially color aside from black)? Do results come from 9mly visionary magic alone?

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Most humans develop the inner sense of touch before the inner sense of sight - on the various planes and subplanes.

Practice obviously is important. It takes a new born human some time to develop and control physical sight.

Being able to see what you are doing is important but not essential. Intent, combined with relationship with elementals and devas is often sufficient.

Long ago, on small island off Scotland, my gf went down the boat ramp while the sea was choppy. I called her back but she ignored me. So I visualized a large wave coming to send her back. Nothing happened.

So I visualized several small waves coming together to make a big one. That happened immediately and she rushed back.

It may be important to intend/visualize events that are within the easy capability and natural tendency of the elementals and devas

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Right action tends to lift the human consciousness to a higher plane/subplane. Selfish/adverse action lowers the level of consciousness.

That is standard in human unfoldment.

There are several modes for "magical" actions.

An engineering mode, uses precise energies (qualities, plane.subplane, intent, geometry, interconnections...) to develop elemental structures and call/manifest/generate appropriate operators.

The engineering mode seems relatively uncommon among initiate Earth humans. They seem to work more with right relationship - getting friendly entities to do the work.

Implicit in the engineering approach is rising on the planes.

Rising on the planes accelerates spiritual development: acquiring higher subplane substance and discharging lower matter including karmic, and improving alignment for flows of Light

I have not seen a technical version of RotP in the public domain

Reaction score
Awards
There is a Crowley writeup out of "Liber O", and the Ciceros in "A Garden of Pomegranates:Skrying the Tree of Life".
Perhaps the first beings to work with in visionary magic should be the elementals.
Still, no books address such a thing .. except for the Ciceros books.
Post automatically merged:

McCarthy's "Magical Trilogy" does extensive visionary magic exercises.
Phil Hines' shamanism books likewise.

Nick Farrell did two books on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Several schools teach this. Core Shamanism utilizes it. Ceremonial Magic utilizes it. Low Magick utilizes it to a degree. Religion utilizes it. Witchcraft utilizes it. Pathworking utilizes it. Meditation utilizes it.

So why are there less materials on it?
Quareia seems to utilize it heavily. Golden Dawn related books utilize it.

So ... What books are best on visionary magic? Does it work on people who have trouble visualizing (especially color aside from black)? Do results come from 9mly visionary magic alone?
I don't know what you mean by less materials as the market is rampant with visualization exercises today. -which is sort of a problem because if used in the wrong place, can severely hinder your practice.

If you mean why don't we see more traditional or classical materials employing visualization, that is because emphasis on it wasn't really a thing until the emergence of the psychological model. The grimoires don't talk about learning visualization nor energy work for example because that simply was not their paradigm.

A magician, or perhaps scryer, would not actively construct a vision or guide themselves, but rather would let the vision come to them, happening on its own.

If you are actively trying to visualize you are getting in the way of what is trying to be shown to you in a crystal ball or obsidian mirror. You are disturbing the image that is trying to come through in the substituting your own image.

This is why I do not like guided meditations where you are told what to visualize. No! In my rituals I tend to be very selective if where I put active visualization. Don't get me wrong, a guide helping you navigate your visions is fine but they should not be so suggestive as to lead you to a predefined or selected outcome. Otherwise what was the point in communicating with a spirit or Oracle.

Now many magicians either have difficulty in excelling at both active work and being receptive or otherwise find it difficult to switch between these modes fluidly and effectively. It is to this end and for this reason that they often
employed a scryer.

The point of truth is, it can be difficult for many to silence the mind such that a message to come through just as it can be difficult to build up and hold a detailed image in the mind. To be able to go back and forth without loss of efficiency or potency, is not easy. I can do it but I am not neurotypical. This is also why we tend to use simple visualizations in ritual like pentagrams, hexagrams etc. They get to the point with minimal effort.

There is a Crowley writeup out of "Liber O", and the Ciceros in "A Garden of Pomegranates:Skrying the Tree of Life".
Perhaps the first beings to work with in visionary magic should be the elementals.
Still, no books address such a thing .. except for the Ciceros books.

McCarthy's "Magical Trilogy" does extensive visionary magic exercises.
Phil Hines' shamanism books likewise.

Nick Farrell did two books on it.
I wouldn't say it matters which kinds of beings you attempt to scry first so long as you're protected if an evocation or invocation is involved and you know how to send them on their way. That said, certain classifications of beings are easier for us to contemplate, witness and observe than others.

Terrestrial elements are great because they are very close to our state of existence and thus easier to make contact with come to gnosis of that certain other classifications. Also, what we focuses our faculties of observation on we help breath life into which is part of our job with elementals in the Paracelsian cosmology and worldview.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The absolute best magical advice Ive ever received was this: approach magic with a sense of play.

With that in mind, one of the best magic books I have ever read was “Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard” by Oberon Zell. It is a beginner book targeted for teens. It’s almost like a 777 but for young adults. I know many “accomplished magicians” who’d probably be better off just sticking with a “kids book”. Check it out.

Reaction score
Awards
Excellent recommendation, and have downloaded it for reading and practice alike.

The Tower of Alchemy: An Advanced Guide to the Great Work by David Goddard
Will look for this one. Thanks!

I don't know what you mean by less materials as the market is rampant with visualization exercises today. -which is sort of a problem because if used in the wrong place, can severely hinder your practice.

If you mean why don't we see more traditional or classical materials employing visualization, that is because emphasis on it wasn't really a thing until the emergence of the psychological model. The grimoires don't talk about learning visualization nor energy work for example because that simply was not their paradigm.
I guess I'm saying classical, even to the point of the Golden Dawn to the outer order degree grades. Sure there is an abundance of new age (as my old teacher would say, newage rhyming with sewage) literary crap fulfilling Sturgeon's law (per Kraig). Kraig and the Ciceros stepped it up though. Even Christopher does.
A magician, or perhaps scryer, would not actively construct a vision or guide themselves, but rather would let the vision come to them, happening on its own.
I see.
If you are actively trying to visualize you are getting in the way of what is trying to be shown to you in a crystal ball or obsidian mirror. You are disturbing the image that is trying to come through in the substituting your own image.
This could be 0aet of my problem. That and speeding through the rituals.
This is why I do not like guided meditations where you are told what to visualize. No! In my rituals I tend to be very selective if where I put active visualization. Don't get me wrong, a guide helping you navigate your visions is fine but they should not be so suggestive as to lead you to a predefined or selected outcome. Otherwise what was the point in communicating with a spirit or Oracle.

Now many magicians either have difficulty in excelling at both active work and being receptive or otherwise find it difficult to switch between these modes fluidly and effectively. It is to this end and for this reason that they often
employed a scryer.
I see.
The point of truth is, it can be difficult for many to silence the mind such that a message to come through just as it can be difficult to build up and hold a detailed image in the mind. To be able to go back and forth without loss of efficiency or potency, is not easy. I can do it but I am not neurotypical. This is also why we tend to use simple visualizations in ritual like pentagrams, hexagrams etc. They get to the point with minimal effort.
Agree.
I wouldn't say it matters which kinds of beings you attempt to scry first so long as you're protected if an evocation or invocation is involved and you know how to send them on their way. That said, certain classifications of beings are easier for us to contemplate, witness and observe than others.
Agree.
Terrestrial elements are great because they are very close to our state of existence and thus easier to make contact with come to gnosis of that certain other classifications. Also, what we focuses our faculties of observation on we help breath life into which is part of our job with elementals in the Paracelsian cosmology and worldview.
Ghob is one of the ones I want to work with, yet it seems one must fit certain rules ,. Not be lazy, not be inert,, have their life in order etc. and to not be literal and greedy. The entire point is to discover the wealth within oneself or transform that lead into gold. Not saying that's all he could teach a person.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Excellent recommendation, and have downloaded it for reading and practice alike.

Will look for this one. Thanks!

I guess I'm saying classical, even to the point of the Golden Dawn to the outer order degree grades. Sure there is an abundance of new age (as my old teacher would say, newage rhyming with sewage) literary crap fulfilling Sturgeon's law (per Kraig). Kraig and the Ciceros stepped it up though. Even Christopher does.

I see.

This could be 0aet of my problem. That and speeding through the rituals.

I see.

Agree.

Agree.

Ghob is one of the ones I want to work with, yet it seems one must fit certain rules ,. Not be lazy, not be inert,, have their life in order etc. and to not be literal and greedy. The entire point is to discover the wealth within oneself or transform that lead into gold. Not saying that's all he could teach a person.
There are, basic, visualization exercises in the grade knowledge lectures.

You do not need to be an exemplar to work with Ghob. Through working with him, he will help you reach a level of mastery over your Earth element. The Elemental Kings are often recommended for beginners in evocation. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. They are some of the easier entities to contact.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Some of the best visualization exercises I've picked up from various places but they usually have one thing in common.

They help you identify your personal best way of doing it.

What I mean is that not everyone is the best at visualizing with actual Visual images via 'sight'.

So you have to try and visualize in your mind the same way you generally think about things or the way you have memories.

Try to really think about what mental sounds you can add or smells or physical sensations.

One particular one I remember as an example is from High Magick by Damien Echols.

It's an exercise where you face E-S-W-N in order similar to the progression in the LRBP but when you are in the East you think of Springtime...what ever comes to mind...Blooming Flowers, Birds Chirping, etc.. then face South and feel the Hot Dry Air, The Warmth of the Sun, Hear the Crack of a bat hitting a baseball as kids play outside etc..... Face West and Feel the Cool Autumn winds, hear the crunch of fallen leaves as you walk down the sidewalk, picture the sights and sounds of Halloween etc,......face North and feel the Cold winds of Winter and hear and feel the crunch of Snow as you walk through it while snow falls and Christmas lights flicker on houses in a neighborhood etc.

You get the idea.

Try to in your mind's eye add as many tactile sensations or sounds or smells to really create a full picture with your visualizations just like you would with a strong childhood memory or something.

It's really helpful when the 'visual' alone is not vivid enough.

Anziel_Merkaba

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I wrote a primer with a series of exercises designed to strengthen your visualization skills. I posted it here if you are interested.

It's made to be incredibly simple yet broad in application so as to not conflict with people's practices, so it should be useful for you. Each exercise is designed in such a way to get the maximum gains in as few steps one can reasonably get them with.