• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Vomit in Cinema

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Is it my imagination or has the number of vomit scenes erupted in films the past decade or so? It used to be that, excepting a Linda Blair/Pazuzu encounter, puking was pretty rare. More and more, it seems the preferred way to show emotional distress is for the character to upchuck. Where John Wayne would down a shot and slam his fist on the bar, a Nicholas Uncaged or Brayed Pitts will frown, lurch, and spew. Aesthetics aside, it's not all that realistic. Aside from seasickness, I've never seen anyone puke from nerves. One hears about athletes sometimes doing so. Still I've been in a few untoward situations. Have seen extreme leakage from the nether sluices. Puke? Not that I recall.

Anyway, the puke trope strikes me as bad writing/directing/acting. An actor should be able to emote without holding a mouthful of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup in reserve. Though Robert Duvall's faux vomit scene in The Great Santini was cinematic genius. Those 20 or so seconds of screen time easily knocked Citizen Kane into an airsickness bag.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Warned and moved to correct section.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I see from the dearth of response that no one wants to touch vomit. Not surprising.